Apple T1 chip, what is it really made for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Super Xander, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

It appears that an ARM based Apple custom T1 chip appears in the new 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro lineup, but what does the chip really do other than stores data like Touch ID fingerprints?

2. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Isn’t this old news? I’m pretty sure it was discovered that it ran the touchbar and Touch ID.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

It's basically the Apple Watch CPU transformed to run the touchbar.

4. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

It was built by Cyberdyne to kill all humans.

5. iregret macrumors 6502a

Actually, does anyone have a link to a teardown that talks about the chipset? Is it a repurposed watch chip and wasn't the Apple Watch chip a repurposed iPhone 4s chip?

As in, what clock speed? What's it capable of doing? How much of it's functionality is currently bing utilized? That sort of thing.

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Coming feature in 2019: You can remove the touchbar from your Macbook Pro, wrap it around your wrist, and bring your MBP with you as a watch.

7. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

Check out steps 6 and 9. They don't specifically talk about what the T1 chip does, but apple did mention it in the keynote as powering the touch bar.

Other sources:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...o-touch-bar-and-apples-t1-authentication-chip

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/28/13454052/apple-macbook-pro-touch-bar-apple-watch-features

8. iregret macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Thank you!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    I have a question. If I wanted to run my own code on the touchbar, how would I go about doing so?

9. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I am new to programming for iOS and have focused on only learning the iOS SDK. As for the Touch Bar, I found this on the Apple website. Scroll down to “getting started” and “reference and sample code”. There should be enough resources there for you to get an idea of how to start programming.

If you are new to programming I suggest you check out apples own books on iBooks, “intro to app development with swift” and “ App development with swift. “ Both are long books but are structured well and do a great job of providing coding challenges and projects.