Apple Tablet Rumors Revived: February 2010 Launch? P.A. Semi Processor?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

After several quiet weeks on the tablet rumor front as it became clear that no such device would be introduced at Apple's "It's Only Rock and Roll" media event, a new report from Taiwan Economic News revives rumor discussions by claiming that Apple's tablet computer will launch in February 2010 at a price point between $799 and $999. The report also claims that the tablet will utilize a P.A. Semi-engineered processor and will contain built-in 3G wireless connectivity. A 9.6-inch touch screen and an extended-life battery round out the claimed details.
As Apple Inc. will launch its newest tablet PCs next February, a couple of Taiwanese suppliers of PC parts and components have managed to join the supply chain and will start delivery to Apple in December, according to industry sources.

The tablet PC features a 9.6-inch screen, finger-touch function and built-in HSPDA (high speed download packet access) module, and adopts a P.A. SEMI processor chip and long lasting battery pack, selling for between US$799 and US$999.
The report claims that Dynapack has won a contract to supply up to 300,000 batteries per month for the new unit and notes that Wintek, Apple's current iPhone screen supplier, will supply touchscreens for the new device.

The claims echo a previous report by Taiwanese media several months ago, although that report had pointed to an October 2009 launch for the tablet. Other reports have also pointed to an early 2010 launch, as well as the inclusion of a chip platform from P.A. Semi. The chipmaker, which was acquired by Apple in April 2008, has been rumored to have been divided into two teams: one focused on iPhone and iPod touch projects and the other working on tablet computers.

A recent report has suggested that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been almost singularly focused on the much-rumored tablet since his return from a medical leave of absence in late June, suggesting the product may be in the final design stages after several years of fits and starts.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Rumors Revived: February 2010 Launch? P.A. Semi Processor?

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I'll watch with interest.

I suspect it will either be revolutionary or a relative disappointment... no middle ground.
disappointment. no one has produced a catch-on tablet in 20 years, apple won't be the first. estimated $999 with an unknown proc, it'll be another overpriced luxury - i said it first.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
10" is too big. 6-7" would be ideal, imo. Anything bigger and I'll just carry a laptop or netbook.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
I'll watch with interest.

I suspect it will either be revolutionary or a relative disappointment... no middle ground.
I concur. There will be no middle ground with this device. It will either bomb or be an revolutionary/evolutionary step forward in personal computer design theory.
I think everyone (perhaps including Apple) has underestimated this device. It just may be potentially more important to the tech world than the original iphone itself!

Furthermore, February sounds about right and goes along with the rumors from a few weeks ago that said Steve Jobs was pleased enough with the project to green light it for launch in the beginning of 2010.

EDIT: Oh, and only idiot fanboys and babies who weren't paying attention to the analysis of ongoing rumors actually still expected the tablet to show up at the September ipod event.

Once it came out that Steve Jobs green lighted the tablet for launch in 2010 nobody should have expected it for September.....except for the babies that is.

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
I think we are going to will this rumor into existence
Seriously. I still do not see a point in having a 10" (or so) screen as a computer. I would think you're going to have a massive kink in your neck from always looking down at it. On top of that, you wouldn't really be able to see the screen when you're typing on it unless you do a "hunt & pick" style of typing. I see very little that is productive about this proposed toy.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

What is this rumored processor equal to in today's mac lineup? As powerful to a mini? A macbookair?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
seriously

I think the iTablet has made more newspapers and "analysts: NOT made that is ever could be when in production. goes to show any news is good news.

I think the macbook should become the air, and the tablet will probably be slightly more than a giant ipod touch, slightly more software features that are device locked.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
man I prey to god it's not single processor and I don't believe in god.
Anyways It better have dual or QUAD in it, I swear Apple does this on purpose and watch a few years after this one comes out there will be a dual. I hate that crap:mad:

I'm not so sure about the built-in 3G. Is it popular in netbooks? Personally I wouldn't want to add yet another bill to my monthly expenses.
Then use wifi. I bet AT&T will have to charge you extra if you want 3G instead of using your iphone account I hate ATT They are so corrupt.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
interested to see what it ends up as....I'll be in the market for a laptop come December, but I'm planning on waiting for an upgrade any way. I'll be interested to see if its a "computer tablet" or "tablet for media"

Interesting times! Also redo the MacBook while you're at it Apple!

If Apple is focusing on media, a lower powered chip wouldn't shock me...they likely want a long battery life. Hopefully AT&T and Apple will come up with a nice tether method for iPhone owns, would be cool(and support that ecosystem they are always talking about)

bfc

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I find it amusing that Apple dissed netbooks because they couldn't fit in your pocket.

err... the tablet won't fit in your pocket either. I wonder how they are going to spin this.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
man I prey to god it's not single processor and I don't believe in god.
Anyways It better have dual or QUAD in it, I swear Apple does this on purpose and watch a few years after this one comes out there will be a dual. I hate that crap:mad:
I don't know about you but I don't want a quad core processor in a tablet. That thing is going to run extremely hot.

I really don't see this rumor being true. No one has pulled off a tablet and I honestly don't think Apple can pull of a tablet good enough to make people enjoy using one.

Also, remember this, they really pushed the iPod touch as a computer this time, not just a game console. Granted, it was geared more towards netbooks but still...Apple is saying that they've got their cheap, portable computer and it's an iPod touch. We all know it's not really that but I doubt Apple will make a tablet just to fill that segment.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm not so sure about the built-in 3G. Is it popular in netbooks? Personally I wouldn't want to add yet another bill to my monthly expenses.
It's offered but I think most consumers are smart enough that it's really ridiculously expensive to get a netbook that's tied into a contract.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
cmon let it go.
this tablet rumor is so old.
im tired of it.

yeah theyve been working on one.
it'll come out eventually, if at all.

stop bringing this thing up so much.

Ishbar

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
The only recurring image I get is a glorified iPod Touch.
Just some monstrous, cumbersome, beast of a product - one with no practical application.

I feel that a "Tablet" computer, MUST have a functional keyboard/body.
With all the gloss and shimmer Apple needs to put on its products, even a matte finish on the back will cause the lkeyboardless device to slip and slide.

For this device to be successful (because no doubt it will be - simply due to this 'First of it's kind' appeal) - but I mean TRULY successful, not a Spring fling; Apple needs to put in a Keyboard which acts as a base, and allows 180Degree swivel rotation and the ability to lay flush.

It will give the device enough width / edge to be held with ease.
It will allow more room for larger batteries / more powerful hardware.
Increase use functionality (as great as the touch capable products Apple makes ARE, you wouldn't get caught dead writing anything of MAJOR significance on one) The same can be said for their tablet if it is sold as many are predicting it to be.
It will place it into a RECOGNIZED category, as opposed to one of it's own. As alien as Netbooks felt, the idea catched on and companies ran with it.

As a Tablet Computer, Apples next product cannot simply be a slab of hardware packed into a pretty, over glossed display. No company will mimic this design as it is clearly superfluous to itself, therefore it WONT catch on - this failed concept can be seen in the glimmer of what once were MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices)

While companies will pump one or two out a year, they have such a marginal presence in the every day (US at least) - that it only taunts the meek existence they had when "Popular".
My 2Cents.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't like the lack of x86. I know that everyone is going to scream battery life at me.

It'll just be a giant iPod Touch with 3G then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.