Apple Tablet Storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gan6660, Jul 28, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Potentially the tablet could have over 128gb or storage right? I mean the ipod touch could have 64gb of storage and the tablet could be a bigger device so it could fit more chips in.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Provided this thing will actually exist, it would use either 1.8" HDDs, 2.5" HDDs, or 2.5" SSDs.

Who in their right mind would think the storage would be soldered in?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not to mention the fact that customized storage is more expensive than the mass-market options.
    I think the tablet will use 2.5" drives. 1.8" drives are a dying breed. I doubt that a device this size will use a memory system like the iPhone or iPod touch.

4. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

To use 2.5" drives wouldnt it have to be as thick as a macbook?

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Nope. 2.5" drives vary in thickness, so Apple may just use a thinner one.
    I expect this device will likely be just under half an inch thick (about the thickness of the bottom case of a MBP)

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

1.8" are not even close to going away

X18's are 1.8's and every major pc manafactuer uses 1.8" drives in there lines

including

apple , hp , dell , ibm

i believe the new tablet will use 1.8" its thinner and requires less power to operate in most cases.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm thinking about 32GB, transportability, less than 2 lbs., WiFi, 3G, webcam, external hard drive, and ONE USB port. (Did I just describe the MBAir Mini?)....:p:p:p

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm just hoping that we'll be able to buy the thing without any kind of contract and we'll be able to hack it for more codec support.

Seeing how it will be a 10" screen, I suspect that we'll be able to watch the HD movies in iTunes, which means that internal storage would need to be large enough to support them. Hopefully we can get at least 60GB of solid state memory or at least a 200GB drive.

10. raremage macrumors 6502a

I'm not overly concerned with how much storage it has, so long as there is a way to dock it to my main system, and automatically sync the data that I want on the tablet. Ideally over the air if I want to do it that way, either via WiFi or BT.

I can't imagine this having enough power to server as a primary system, as such the amount of data I need to store on it should be significantly less than on my MBP.

11. Machinima macrumors newbie

Theres a reason is called a 2.5" drive

2.5 INCH

Anyway its likely in a tablet that the back would be hard to remove, like an iPhone or iPod, so regardless whether is soldered in or not its unlikely us mere mortals will have access to the internals with the correct engineering equipment, such as a credit card.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*MASSIVE FACEPALM*

The DISK is 2.5" ACROSS. The DRIVE is either 9.5 or 12 MILLIMETERS TALL.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

13. Machinima macrumors newbie

12mm - 9.5mm = 2.5 MILLIMETERS, 2.5, Two Point 5 MILLIMETERS

Exactly. Theres hardly any difference, but with a 1.8" its a massive difference. Dell started using 1.8" drives now and its really annoying because it makes it harder for me to hackint0sh their laptops.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Inches and millimeters are different. :confused:

The Two. Point. Five. Inch. Drive comes in two HEIGHTS. One of the heights is 12 millimeters. The other height is 9.5 millimeters. This has nothing to do with anything that you think you're talking about.

15. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If the tablet is nothing more than a large iPod, Apple may use Flash Memory. I can't see them using regular spinning Hard Drives...Flash or SSD.

16. raremage macrumors 6502a

While I think 'large iPod' is understating the functionality this device will have, I'd be surprised if this isn't the direction, actually. Maybe just 64 GB of flash storage rather than a HDD or SSD. 64GB on what is essentially a netbook in a slate form factor, with a 'lite' version of an office suite (iWork Lite?), a robust browser, Flash plugin support, plus Mail, iCal, and Address Book.

Using flash storage would probably let them keep the device thinner while avoiding the additional overhead (and potentially power consumption) of either hard drive or solid state drive.

As a second device that can sync with my MBP, it's a great solution for grabbing to take to meetings, interviews, or conferences. Add a Verizon 3G card and you could use it just about everywhere.

17. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Same. I think its going to be soldered in. Even a 1.8" SSD would take up precious space that can be saved by soldering on both sides of the PCB.

18. oculus42 macrumors 6502

SSD or HD

I anticipate the theoretical tablet being a full-on Mac OS X computer. Bluetooth support for keyboard and mouse as needed. I'd like to think it will be moderately serviceable, as such, and will have a replaceable hard drive, probably 1.8".

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The only Macs with a "user replaceable" hard drive are the white MacBook and Mac Pro.

A tablet would NOT have one.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're going to specific it's actually 12.5mm and 9mm. :rolleyes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

21. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

I never knew that :D thank you for telling me :)

22. Snowbound macrumors regular

I'd just like to point out how baffled I am with this. Can you please refrain from posting nonsense and trying to pass it off as knowing what you're talking about?

23. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not true. All Macs have user replaceable hard drives and RAM. If anything gets damaged during the process though, your warranty is void. Also, the parts that are replaced are no longer covered by warranty.

I have to agree with this. Case and point: iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air.

24. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

There was a recent article about Apple not being able to make the iPod classic much longer because of the dieing 1.8" drives.

LINK