Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Cmax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Link to story:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...let_will_use_Verizon_s_3G_network_sources_say

From the story:
"The tablet will be supported by multiple [mobile] carriers," said Brian Marshall of Broadpoint AmTech, citing unnamed sources he said were close to the situation. "Verizon and others," he continued. "Definitely Verizon. I've been told that's a certainty."

If true, then I guess we'll all have an opportunity to trash Verizon's 3G data network this year, just as we did with AT&T using the iPhone over the past few. Perhaps that is what Brian Ullem, who heads emerging devices for Verizon Wireless, was concerned about when he said in 2009, "The Apple tablet, if it debuts as expected early next year, has the potential to be a disruptive product".

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Im sure big V has veto power on any such plan if they don't like it.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If true, then I guess we'll all have an opportunity to trash Verizon's 3G data network this year, just as we did with AT&T using the iPhone over the past few.

Hopefully not. I don't understand the mentality that overloading anyone's network is a good thing or something to aspire to (like those morons who tried to arrange what essentially was a DDoS attack on the network after AT&T's comments about data usage).

Cmax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Im sure big V has veto power on any such plan if they don't like it.

No doubt - but should they decide not to carry Apple's iSlate would suggest to me they know, regardless of all the blue stuff in their "there's a map for that" ads, that their 3G data network is really no better than AT&T's. Besides, I would imagine it a rather hard business decision for Verizon for them not to want to get onboard with the iSlate. Just imagine the profits they could make with an iStale data package verses what they charge now for a smartphone.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'll be content if it comes with dual radios allowing folks to choose either using a CDMA or GSM network; maybe even utilize CSIM/RUIM cards (if Verizon will support it).

Cmax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hopefully not. I don't understand the mentality that overloading anyone's network is a good thing or something to aspire to (like those morons who tried to arrange what essentially was a DDoS attack on the network after AT&T's comments about data usage).

Oops -- sorry. It was never my intention to even remotely suggest we all work together to bring a network down. I work in an IT department and my only aspirations and dreams of such stuff always involve nightmares (that is, yet another disaster recovery scenario that needs to be worked out). Anyway, all I meant to imply here was that given the unexpected problems AT&T encountered with the iPhone -- are the other 3G carriers up to the challenge with the iSlate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If true, then I guess we'll all have an opportunity to trash Verizon's 3G data network this year, just as we did with AT&T using the iPhone over the past few.

Data network slowdown, perhaps. But it won't cause voice drops, as with AT&T.

Perhaps that is what Brian Ullem, who heads emerging devices for Verizon Wireless, was concerned about when he said in 2009, "The Apple tablet, if it debuts as expected early next year, has the potential to be a disruptive product".

In industry, "disruptive technology" means innovations that affect the market in unexpected ways. For example, handheld calculators were disruptive products.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'll be content if it comes with dual radios allowing folks to choose either using a CDMA or GSM network; maybe even utilize CSIM/RUIM cards (if Verizon will support it).

As far as I'm aware (and I'm really only guessing here and assuming that Verizon works the same way as in NZ), Apple could easily add a RUIM slot but Verizon would be under no obligation to use it. My Nokia phone has the slot but there's no card in it and the phone works perfectly without it.

It could be useful for countries that do use the cards though (I think India does, for example).

Cmax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
In industry, "disruptive technology" means innovations that affect the market in unexpected ways. For example, handheld calculators were disruptive products.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link. After reading that article, seems to me as if it were stating the mission statement for Apple Inc. Of course, it's not - yet I still can't help believe that the term "disruptive innovation" is but an oxymoron. Me still thinks there is a deeper issues here.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Tablet to Support Multiple Wireless Carriers Including Verizion?

With their upcoming tablet, Apple may be offering the flexibility that many prospective iPhone owners have wished for: carrier independence. According to a Broadpoint AmTech analyst, Apple will be offering 3G wireless data networking on their Tablet with multiple providers with Verizon support a "certainty".

This would mean that customers will be able to choose from a number of mobile providers for their Tablet's data service when not near a Wi-Fi hotspot. This would allow Tablet users to browse the web, check their email, and more wherever there was 3G service. Such connectivity is taken for granted on mobile phones such as the iPhone, but is increasingly expected for other mobile devices.

iPhone owners, however, are presently restricted to AT&T service only due to exclusivity agreements between Apple and AT&T which are expected to expire in mid 2010.

Article Link: Apple Tablet to Support Multiple Wireless Carriers Including Verizion?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i've struggled with this idea and the tablet.

I still am leaning towards no 3G/data connectivity for the first version but I can see pros/cons for each side.

Realistically, are people, besides apple zealots, willing to pay monthly data plans for 1) home 2) cellphone 3) tablet?

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Wow. If this is true, I am certainly buying this. And I will without hesitation go with Verizon.

Harun

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Reasonable Price

I usually wait for the second version of new devices like this. I have been very happy I have done that in that past. However, if this device has pure data plans that are affordable I will likely get one the first week.

Maybe that rumor they are planning on selling 10 mill of these isn't so crazy.

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
iPhone owners, however, are presently restricted to AT&T service only due to exclusivity agreements between Apple and AT&T which are expected to expire in mid 2010.

Fortunately only in the US, at least not here in Europe.
Unfortunately, the poor AT&T network stops us from using 3G data services fully due to the "non-existing" agreement between AT&T and Apple that has crippled too many apps world-wide.

Nickday89

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
oh no, we wont be able to trash verisons 3g, it's just too good! and, if the tablet costs too much, less people buy, which means less people complain, and less data-clogging servers

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I buy the concept of non-exclusive carrier choice for the iSlate (or iWhatever).

What I don't buy - literally - is the likelihood that people are going to pony up for yet another expensive data plan. I have internet service at home. I have internet service for my iPhone. I have a 3G dongle for my MBP when I'm on the road. That's it. I'm not adding a fourth internet contract/fee/expense. No way.

There are a few ways Apple could handle this. And maybe if the price is truly approaching $1000, maybe they've figured out a way to bake 3G connectivity into the purchase price (as has Amazon). Otherwise, I hope they sell a version that either doesn't require 3G or one that will finally take advantage of my iPhone's ability to tether.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I buy the concept of non-exclusive carrier choice for the iSlate (or iWhatever).

What I don't buy - literally - is the likelihood that people are going to pony up for yet another expensive data plan. I have internet service at home. I have internet service for my iPhone. I have a 3G dongle for my MBP when I'm on the road. That's it. I'm not adding a fourth internet contract/fee/expense. No way.

There are a few ways Apple could handle this. And maybe if the price is truly approaching $1000, maybe they've figured out a way to bake 3G connectivity into the purchase price (as has Amazon). Otherwise, I hope they sell a version that either doesn't require 3G or one that will finally take advantage of my iPhone's ability to tether.

$15 a month would be fair. Anything more wouldn't.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What I don't buy - literally - is the likelihood that people are going to pony up for yet another expensive data plan. (snip)

We know how much Apple loves WiFi as an alternative to 3G, so that's bound to be in there too.

There are a few ways Apple could handle this. And maybe if the price is truly approaching $1000, maybe they've figured out a way to bake 3G connectivity into the purchase price (as has Amazon)....

Yes, building in the air cost for book/magazine downloads sounds very likely.

Question to Kindle owners though: aren't you able to surf the web, too? If so, how is that charged?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Let's just hope that 3G is an option and not a requirement. Or maybe there's two "iSlate" models, similar to the iPhone/iPod touch choice.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
As I'm paying for the privilege of tethering my MBP from my iPhone with O2, I was kind of hoping that I'd be able to use my iPhone tethering for the Tablet too.

Anything else would be a waste.

I guess eventually even AT&T might get around to offering tethering too! ;)

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Hmm I wonder if you can buy this without a contract and teather to iphone but we'll have to see how pricings work out.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see how this will fit into the lineup is it a lowend macbook replacement or an extra inbetween the iphone and macbook but which is overpriced and requires a contract to work...

Will the 1st gen be overpriced like the 1st gen iPhone?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
They need to let me put my iPhone sim card in there to get 3G! I'm not paying a monthly internet subscription for each device I own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.