Apple tablet, will it be worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlexIngram, May 25, 2008.

1. AlexIngram macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm going off to University starting around September 1st this year. I have been waiting to update from my iBook (pitiful) for about a year or two. I was totally dead-set on getting a MacBook Pro (15 inches, pretty basic) until I read the rumor about the tablet.

So, the question is: if the tablet isn't coming until "September or October" this year, should I bear a month or two of this old laptop and wait to see the tablet or just get the MBP? :confused:

Thanks,
    Alex

2. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Many will disagree with me, but if you can just wait. Time flies. I remember waiting for Intel Macs. What I was in a hurry to buy then, is hard to get a decent price out of now :(.

How likely will we see a tablet anyway?

3. AidanFrench1 macrumors newbie

What course are you taking at Uni? if your going to be doing a lot of audio, photo or video editing you would probably be best to just go for the MBP. After all the specs of the tablet might not be and probably won't be what you need them to be if you are looking at the MBP?. Hope that helped :D

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Getting a bit ahead of yourself, no? Just wait until WWDC and then decide.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

The tablet is such a rumor right now, we really don't know what it will end up being.

It might just be an iPod touch on steroids (Newton II if you will), or it could be a full fledged Mac with MBA like performance. We just don't know.

With all the hoopla about the iPhone dev kit, and Apple's insistence the iPhone is a platform, it wouldn't surprise me to see them extend this platform, and position the tablet as a super-PDA / web browser / book reader / iPod ... everything but a phone.

Tablet PC's just have never caught on, although Apple has always been good at taking a segment that just hasn't quite worked yet and exploding it. What could they do differently for the tablet market that wasn't tried before? Their patent for slipping it in the side of an iMac like docking station is a possibility, but would that really set the world on fire? What is it's killer app?

I would wait if you can, also. We have NO idea what it will turn out to be, *if anything*.

6. thinkband macrumors regular

Like the previous poster said, tablets never caught on. I doubt apple will try to push this, especially this year. Just buy a MBP now, chances are the tablet will never be.

7. Minico88 macrumors newbie

They have a tablet in the works, but they are trying to incorporate some of the features of the Iphone into the touch screen. It is still about a year away if they continue to keep it in development.

8. AlexIngram thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

I see what you all mean, and I must say I've been swayed :D

I think I'll get the MBP around mid-August so I can have it all ready for classes. And I'm doing Economics and math so I guess the tablet's more artistic capabilities would be lost on me anyway (if it ever comes, that is). Also, I doubt it would be as powerful as the MBP, which I need for some math software...

Thanks for all the replies!