Apple Takes iPhone Privacy Marketing Campaign to Germany

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple started underlining its privacy stance earlier this year with a billboard marketing campaign that began in Las Vegas and later came to Canada, and this week the company has extended it to Europe.

Brought to our attention by Macerkopf.de, the new billboards in both Hamburg and Berlin play on their location, while emphasizing how much importance Apple attaches to user privacy and data protection.

Draped across the Port of Hamburg is a long banner-style poster with a picture of an iPhone and an accompanying slogan which translates into English as "The gate to the world. Not to your information."

Elsewhere in Hamburg, an iPhone billboard on the side of a property reads, "Reveals as little about Hamburgers as Hamburgers."

Meanwhile, in Berlin, a tower block billboard with the same recognizable iPhone image runs with the phrase, "Welcome to the safe sector."

All of the posters in Germany round out with the slogan, "Privacy. This is iPhone."

Apple's Las Vegas billboard, which was put up ahead of CES 2019, played on the well-known tourism saying: "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." The sign read, "What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone."

Apple has also made privacy-focused iPhone ads that have been aired on various TV markets around the world. The embedded video above is Apple's German privacy ad.

Apple has long said it believes privacy is a "fundamental human right," and as part of that, it aims to minimize its collection of customer data and disassociate it from an individual user when it does. The tech company also has a dedicated privacy website.

Article Link: Apple Takes iPhone Privacy Marketing Campaign to Germany

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
There is still a privacy issue with multi-tasking. Sometimes, entering multi-tasking shows windows with closed webpages and deleted emails. Opening the app brings you back to where it should, but even if you delete an email or clear the cache, the issue persists.

Reactions: sharleyP

givemeanapple

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
Earth
Apple’s marketing won’t work in Europe since here most users prefer Android and the most selling brands are Huawei, Xiaomi and Samsung.

now i see it

macrumors 68040
Jan 2, 2002
the era of uncrackable encryption for consumer smartphones is coming to an end. Enjoy it while it lasts. The writing is on the walls.

Reactions: Jimmy James

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
It should be translated "Reveal as little about Hamburgers as Hamburger." instead of "Betrays as little about Hamburgers as Hamburger." in this context.
Betrays is fine.

treacherously reveal (secrets or information): many of those employed by diplomats betrayed secrets and sold classified documents.
As for… "Hamburgers", I'm not so sure. :p
[doublepost=1564059259][/doublepost]
Apple’s marketing won’t work in Europe since here most users prefer Android and the most selling brands are Huawei, Xiaomi and Samsung.
That doesn't make any sense. Someone who isn't currently the most successful shouldn't even bother advertising?

Reactions: jjini

givemeanapple

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
Earth
Betrays is fine.

That doesn't make any sense. Someone who isn't currently the most successful shouldn't even bother advertising?
In this case, their "Privacy" marketing doesn't work in EU since nobody buys that Apple cr@p in here.

Reactions: HJM.NL

skogkatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Apple should really push on this, because it's really a reason why people pay the apple premium price, especially in Europe now with the new GDPR (EU privacy and data treatment legislation). Nowadays it's the most obvious, to me at least, difference between Apple services and everything Google- and Facebook- related.

Last edited by a moderator:

skogkatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
WhatsApp sadly is used by many here. So no. Not true. If it was meant ironically I didn’t get it :-/
But many also do use Telegram - especially in the young demographic. I've found a great difference coming from Italy - where everybody used to use only WA, now Telegram is rising there too - to Germany. Telegram has always been more innovative: GIFs, editable messages, usw.
And generally speaking, Germans tend to care more about privacy, especially in personal services (banking, email).

Reactions: sydneysider88

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
This will work great in Germany as germans general are very privacy focused.

Europe has strong privacy laws. Are these ads suppose to imply Google is breaking the law?

These ads are going to work how? Get more people to switch or buy iPhones? Get more people to believe the lies?

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Betrays is fine.

No betray makes no sense in this context. This is a word play to make fun of the fact that people from Hamburg are known to be very quiet and hate smalltalk

Apple should really push on this, because it's really a reason why people pay the apple premium price, especially in Europe now with the new GDPR (EU privacy and data treatment legislation). Nowadays it's the most obvious, to me at least, difference between Apple services and everything Google- and Facebook- related.
you just highlighted why that ad doesn’t make much sense in Europe since we do have the GDPR. Therefore all companies have to live up to these privacy standards anyway.

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Europe has strong privacy laws. Are these ads suppose to imply Google is breaking the law?
Logical fallacy. Just because two companies are abiding by the law (Apple and Google) doesn't mean that they have the same outlook on privacy or that they treat your privacy/data the same way.

These ads are going to work how? Get more people to switch or buy iPhones? Get more people to believe the lies?
What lies would those be?
[doublepost=1564073952][/doublepost]
Privacy is likely going to become a crucial issue. I suspect not many people care very much.
Companies will care. Eventually I think we're going to see government intervention regarding companies and collecting/mining data. This will have a huge impact (negative) on companies that require data to survive (Google or Facebook). It will have practically zero impact on Apple.

Mitochris

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
But many also do use Telegram - especially in the young demographic. I've found a great difference coming from Italy - where everybody used to use only WA, now Telegram is rising there too - to Germany. Telegram has always been more innovative: GIFs, editable messages, usw.
And generally speaking, Germans tend to care more about privacy, especially in personal services (banking, email).
It’s the same old problem with tech companies. They get you hooked and then change the terms and conditions. WA or Facebook were great, got loads of people use it and then change their terms so they can sniff your data. Once you had all your contacts their you can’t quickly change.
I use Threema, which works fine and protects your privacy. They offer business and school solutions too. It’s just getting enough people to leave these days hungry companies and get lawmakers to start putting laws into place that prevent 100+ sites to get my data.
[doublepost=1564076358][/doublepost]
Logical fallacy.
Companies will care. Eventually I think we're going to see government intervention regarding companies and collecting/mining data. This will have a huge impact (negative) on companies that require data to survive (Google or Facebook). It will have practically zero impact on Apple.
I just wish governments would hurry up. The GDPR in Europe has really shown how many sites track your data on every website. In a way it would be ok that if the website one is visiting is using some data to improve their site, but it’s dozen and dozen of sites that get your data and sell/use it. It is so frustrating.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
What’s more private or safe on an iPhone then on an Android? Most of us use Google, WhatsApp Instagram or even Facebook. Without them the iPhone is even less appealing. So is Apple targeting the ignorant here or is this another excuse for their excessive pricing?

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I am not German so I can't totally understand the local psychology but an American company that sells phones promoting privacy in Germany doesn't sound like a great investment.

norge

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Since there is no company in Germany these days that produces smartphones, and privacy is kind of a big thing here (see e.g. Google Street View) I think the ads can be an good investment for apple.