Apple taking its eye off the ball

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Dunk the Lunk, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Anyone think that apple is really taking its eye off the ball?

For example we have Sony releasing the A820 - a true nano killer with a superior capacity, sound quality and bluetooth.

Plus many other websites sites are selling music that is cheaper and easier to use than Apples. For example Play.com have started selling DRM Free mp3s, which are encoded at 192Kbit/s or 320Kbit/s, for .65p in the UK (compared to .79p on iTunes). This means you transfer them to as many machines/music players as you want without restriction. Plus the website allows users re-download lost content for free, a really useful feature which is missing from iTunes (although I admit it doesn't say how many times).

I realise that Apple has been under pressure from the record labels but the fact that is these smaller websites keep popping up around the world which offer a superior service, and can be combined with products that can rival or beat the ipod.

Thoughts?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

[Opinionated post:]The A820 does not work with Macs, it has a less-than-stellar form factor and the supposedly superior sound quality is entirely dependent on which headphones you use. I also doubt it's easier to use, as this is Apple's forte. It's fine I suppose, nothing to get worked up about.[/Opinion]

I think I'm also right in saying that iTunes has the largest collection of DRM-free music out of all the online content providers? For the vast majority of users, iTunes remains king.

There are always alternatives to Apple, but rest assured: Apple aren't taking their eyes of the ball.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

More than emusic?

They have over 3,000,000 drm free tracks.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well here's the punchy headline. Didn't stop to investigate at the time. Looks like 2m is the number.

Here's a comparison between emusic and iTunes.

At least Apple are trying to go DRM-free, and yes, the major labels remain an obstacle.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure Amazon have more DRM free music than iTunes.

Back to the topic at hand, that Sony looks rough. And undoubtedly the key ingredient of decent software for your PC will be missed. It's also only $50 less that the iPod Touch at the same capacities.