MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Apple has approached several Australian media companies about offering their content on the company's much-rumored tablet computer. Understandably, none of the companies have been willing to speak about the device on the record, offering few details about the substance of the conversations.
Apple has sent specifications of the device to Australian media companies in an effort to sound out whether they would be interested in delivering their content to the tablet. None would speak about the device on the record.
The report mirrors rumors late last month indicating that Apple had similarly approached The New York Times about the new device and its plans to redefine print media with it. Just yesterday, comments from New York Times executive editor Bill Keller surfaced that suggested he may in fact have some inside knowledge of the device.

Article Link: Apple Talking to Australian Media Companies About Tablet?

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I believe a tablet as a book.... well, it will need a huge resolution.

I believe the best application for the tablet is as a configurable interface like the Jazz Mutant lemur.

The tablet should work as a big remote control an interface customizable for anything. And of course you can read books with it.

Comment

peletrane

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
well, here's an interesting tidbit from the article:

"Similar talks were under way with Amazon over the Kindle e-book reader but these broke down after the media executives baulked at giving Amazon 70 per cent of the revenue.

By contrast, Apple's model has been to give developers 70 per cent of the revenue and to keep a 30 per cent cut. It is expected a similar deal will be offered to media companies."

Comment

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
This is exciting stuff! I'm guessing we're probably about a year away at least until something like this comes on the market.

Would love to be wrong on this and see something early in 2010 though....

Comment

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Yay.... I can read the Sydney Morning Herald on my Tablet. Here's to waiting until January...

They're going to sell the "tablet/slate" in Sydney too. It would be nonsense to think that Apple would only solicit United States Print Media for this new device.

And I can't wait 'til January either!

Comment

Blake the Great

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Ohio
One Question?

There is one thing that I don't understand, why not release the Apple Tablet before the holiday season, instead of right after it? :confused:

Comment

king974

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
This is exciting stuff! I'm guessing we're probably about a year away at least until something like this comes on the market.

Would love to be wrong on this and see something early in 2010 though....

You are really going to pay $800 for tablet to read newspapers? Even Jobs has said a tablet computer is only useful to surf the internet while on the toilet.

Apple botched the recent upgrade to the Touch, missed out on the netbook field, lacks a second carrier for the iPhone in the US, not to mention that they just threw away 16% of the yearly profits to give part-time (15 hour a week) employees health insurance, AAPL stock took a major hit on that news today.

Apple may be riding a high today, but they need to wise up on some issues. Windows 7 has been getting great reviews across the board.

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
… not to mention that they just threw away 16% of the yearly profits to give part-time (15 hour a week) employees health insurance, AAPL stock took a major hit on that news today.

Yes, there goes big bad Apple offering their employees health insurance. How dare they! Those part timers should go get a real job elsewhere!

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Apple has approached several Australian media companies about offering their content on the company's much-rumored tablet computer. Understandably, none of the companies have been willing to speak about the device on the record, offering few details about the substance of the conversations.The report mirrors rumors late last month indicating that Apple had similarly approached The New York Times about the new device and its plans to redefine print media with it. Just yesterday, comments from New York Times executive editor Bill Keller surfaced that suggested he may in fact have some inside knowledge of the device.

Article Link: Apple Talking to Australian Media Companies About Tablet?

They talk about it and Apple will shut them out and they won't like it!

Comment

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
So, is this likely to be a big iphone that you will pay a subscription for and that connects to the cellular network? As opposed to a wi-fi enabled netbook-style device?

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
You are really going to pay $800 for tablet to read newspapers?

No. Your whole post was insane, and you realize it.

The tablet isn't JUST for newspapers. It would be able to do a lot more. Apple has been realizing the lucrative games market for portables recently, as well as small apps, internet, and so forth. This would be something between a laptop and an iPhone aimed at the book/periodical market and game market and email market and internet browsing market and music listening market and video watching market ... which is about 100% of the market.

I would buy one if the price isn't silly for the function. Laptops are loathsome and iPT is just too small for comfortable and prolonged web browsing and writing. A tablet might be perfect.

If Microsoftgenitals was keen, they would invent something new and progressive instead of following Apple and imitating.

Comment

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
You are really going to pay $800 for tablet to read newspapers? Even Jobs has said a tablet computer is only useful to surf the internet while on the toilet.

Apple botched the recent upgrade to the Touch, missed out on the netbook field, lacks a second carrier for the iPhone in the US, not to mention that they just threw away 16% of the yearly profits to give part-time (15 hour a week) employees health insurance, AAPL stock took a major hit on that news today.

Apple may be riding a high today, but they need to wise up on some issues. Windows 7 has been getting great reviews across the board.

Here's to wasting bandwidth on nonsense.

Cheers!

Comment

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
There is one thing that I don't understand, why not release the Apple Tablet before the holiday season, instead of right after it? :confused:

Apple reserves it's common products like the imacs/notebooks for the holiday season because the holiday typically gives it's customers enough of a reason to buy/upgrade their computers. With the tablet/slate, people will buy it anyway cause of it's uniqueness.

Comment

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
So, is this likely to be a big iphone that you will pay a subscription for and that connects to the cellular network? As opposed to a wi-fi enabled netbook-style device?

It doesn't have to be either or. For example, we have the iPhone with cellular data and WiFi, and the iPod touch with WiFi only. I would expect something similar for a tablet.

Comment

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
i think apple never said they develop a tablet. it's people unrelated to apple spreading these rumors.;)

anyway, apple come on. bring us that darn tablet. were entitled to it!:D

Oops, I'll rephrase;

"Come on Apple, put your tablet where our mouth is!"

Comment

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC

The tablet isn't JUST for newspapers. It would be able to do a lot more. Apple has been realizing the lucrative games market for portables recently, as well as small apps, internet, and so forth. This would be something between a laptop and an iPhone aimed at the book/periodical market and game market and email market and internet browsing market and music listening market and video watching market ... which is about 100% of the market.

I would buy one if the price isn't silly for the function. Laptops are loathsome and iPT is just too small for comfortable and prolonged web browsing and writing. A tablet might be perfect.

If Microsoftgenitals was keen, they would invent something new and progressive instead of following Apple and imitating.

I just pray that it is mostly geared toward designers with other functions being secondary.

Comment

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
When though???

All these reports coming out have me thinking one thing - WHEN?

I wonder about the specs and all, but for me I just want to know when...

Comment

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008

I agree and I would be happy with something at least three times the screen size of the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Comment

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Everyone needs to get used to "iSlate". The domain iSlate.com was registered in 2004 and it currently held by a domain management company based in San Francisco. But, despite that, the domain is not being used at all. Five years of parking with a domain management company? Me thinks someone has some plans for that domain! :)

Mark

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.