Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The PayPal and Venmo iOS apps will soon offer Apple's Tap to Pay on iPhone functionality, allowing merchants that use PayPal or Venmo to accept contactless debit or credit cards and mobile wallet payments, including Apple Pay.

Apple-Tap-to-Pay-iPhone.jpeg

PayPal shared the news in its latest earnings report, which was released today.
Leveraging Apple's Tap to Pay on iPhone technology, U.S. merchant customers will soon be able to accept contactless debit or credit cards and mobile wallets, including Apple Pay, using an iPhone and the PayPal or Venmo iOS app.
Introduced in February, Tap to Pay is designed to allow compatible iPhones to accept payments via Apple Pay, contactless credit and debit cards, and other digital wallets with no additional hardware required.

As of now, Tap to Pay is available in Apple retail locations, and Square has also launched support for the feature. Small merchants and independent retailers who use Square for payment purposes can accept contactless payments directly in the Square Point of Sale app with no Square add-on hardware device.

Tap to Pay is a feature that is supported on the iPhone XS or newer, and it is simple to use. Sellers just need to open up the app, register the sale, and present their iPhone to the buyer, who can then use an appropriate contactless payment method. Stripe, Adyen, and others are also using Tap to Pay.

In addition to introducing support for Tap to Pay, PayPal says that it also plans to add Apple Pay as a payment option in checkout flows on merchant platforms, plus starting next year, customers in the U.S. will be able to add PayPal and Venmo network-branded credit and debit cards to Apple Wallet, using them in locations where Apple Pay is accepted.

Article Link: Apple Tap to Pay Integration Coming to PayPal and Venmo iOS Apps

Reactions: compwiz1202

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
oh snap, that is easy. I guess Samsung customers are just waiting. (LOL, that is a follow on to their latest stupid ad). any guesses at how long it will take them to copy this, and if they will get it right when they do?

alexandr

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
This is really great. 'cause we obviously don't all have Square and such. It would be great if you could use your Apple Card to send money to PayPal/Venmo accounts...

CarAnalogy

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2021
if we use Apple cash for payment then Apple has to deal with fraudulent transactions, and disputes.
If we use debit and credit cards Banks, Visa, Master, Amex will deal with disputes.
this is my guess, i am not an expert.

This is a good point and sounds correct.

They got Goldman Sachs to do a credit card and soon a savings account, checking account is probably next. The way they describe the savings account there doesn’t seem to be much difference anyway.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Nope. I'll never use PayPal or Venmo. Theyre more interested in social credit scores, social experimentation, and penalizing those who dont share their opinions. Yeah. Not in a million years.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Nope. I'll never use PayPal or Venmo. Theyre more interested in social credit scores, social experimentation, and penalizing those who dont share their opinions. Yeah. Not in a million years.
You would be using whatever card you have in your Apple Wallet to make an NFC payment. The merchant would be choosing what service to use.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
You would be using whatever card you have in your Apple Wallet to make an NFC payment. The merchant would be choosing what service to use.
As a consumer, I have no interest in tap to pay. Regardless of this tech, I’ll still have my credit cards on me and will use them accordingly. No need for me to use my phone instead.. Could be wrong but I think most will continue doing the same as me.

As a business owner, I will not use PayPal or Venmo personally or professionally. It’s truly infuriating how they force their ideology and have the audacity to try and assess huge fines for those who disagree with their politics. They should be the ones being fined for doing such a thing. It’s antithetical to our founding principles.

Also, if I know a company is using PayPal for processing payments, I’d seriously consider buying elsewhere and let the business know why. PayPal is true scum.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
As a consumer, I have no interest in tap to pay. Regardless of this tech, I’ll still have my credit cards on me and will use them accordingly. No need for me to use my phone instead.. Could be wrong but I think most will continue doing the same as me.

As a business owner, I will not use PayPal or Venmo personally or professionally. It’s truly infuriating how they force their ideology and have the audacity to try and assess huge fines for those who disagree with their politics. They should be the ones being fined for doing such a thing. It’s antithetical to our founding principles.

Also, if I know a company is using PayPal for processing payments, I’d seriously consider buying elsewhere and let the business know why. PayPal is true scum.

Ironically, this is how people in Germany feel about paying with cards to this day.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
20% of payments are now mobile payments and over 50% of users are now using mobile payments. The trend is very clear whether you use NFC payments or not.
Like I said, I could be wrong - time will tell BUT I’m sure that nearly 100% of people have smart phones with the capability of mobile payments - yet only 20% of payments are mobile? Meaning 80% are via traditional methods? That’s not nothing but it’s still a minority.

Mobile payments might have grown to take a sizable market share, but if people have the ability and aren’t using it, I’m not sure many more will suddenly begin. They can simply use their credit cards for “tap to pay”. It serves the same purpose as having it on the phone.

Moreover, how many of that 20% of mobile payments are online purchases? I’m guessing it’s a lot. For me, the only mobile payments I make are for online purchases. Via Apple Pay. If I’m in a store, I have my wallet and credit cards.

Again, I’m not an expert here and I could be wrong but to me it seems like a useless feature when the ability to “tap to pay” already exists with credit cards.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part - because I loathe PayPal in particular, but all these payment processing companies, are borderline criminal with their insane fees and enforcement of ideologically radical opinions on their customers.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Ironically, this is how people in Germany feel about paying with cards to this day.
I haven’t been to Germany in a number of years but I remember the last time I was there, every European had the chip on their card, except me. And it was an inconvenience for waiters and others to have to swipe my card. I remember feeling like the US was way behind on the credit card tech..

This is different though IMO. The card and the phone are both capable of touch-less payment now. Why would using it on the phone be better than the card for in-person purchases?.. I just don’t see the benefit to the user. Again, time will tell…

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I haven’t been to Germany in a number of years but I remember the last time I was there, every European had the chip on their card, except me. And it was an inconvenience for waiters and others to have to swipe my card. I remember feeling like the US was way behind on the credit card tech..

This is different though IMO. The card and the phone are both capable of touch-less payment now. Why would using it on the phone be better than the card for in-person purchases?.. I just don’t see the benefit to the user. Again, time will tell…
The benefit, not having to carry a wallet at all. We have mobile IDs in Arizona now as well (not just the Apple implementation, but a full app that shows your ID). With HomeKeys and a car that supports it, as well as a transit app to pay for public transit, there’s no need to carry my wallet really much at all.

I use Walmart Pay and Kroger Pay as well. With this setup, I rarely if ever had to use my physical card.

krakenrelease

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2020
Moreover, how many of that 20% of mobile payments are online purchases? I’m guessing it’s a lot. For me, the only mobile payments I make are for online purchases. Via Apple Pay. If I’m in a store, I have my wallet and credit cards.
You are vastly underestimating how many ppl use Apple Pay in store and how many merchants accept it.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
The benefit, not having to carry a wallet at all. We have mobile IDs in Arizona now as well (not just the Apple implementation, but a full app that shows your ID). With HomeKeys and a car that supports it, as well as a transit app to pay for public transit, there’s no need to carry my wallet really much at all.

I use Walmart Pay and Kroger Pay as well. With this setup, I rarely if ever had to use my physical card.
Fair point, but call me old fashioned, I'd rather have the card and ID on me instead of strictly electronic. If I got pulled over or had to give my ID for something, I dont want to hand over my entire phone. A: Theyre expensive and B: We live our entire lives on our phones now and theyre incredibly personal. I'd never want to give someone that much access just to avoid the need to carry a wallet, which are incredibly small to begin with now.. I personally feel safer and more confident having a physical ID and physical cards.

Like I said, time will tell how it progresses.

ryeclift

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
You are vastly underestimating how many ppl use Apple Pay in store and how many merchants accept it.
20% is the number someone else through out there. Its probably accurate, I have no reason to think its wrong.. But either way, the vast majority of in-store payments are not done with a mobile phone.

Reactions: krakenrelease
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.