Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has partnered with French fashion label Balmain to create special edition versions of its Powerbeats 3 Wireless Earphones and Beats Studio Wireless Headphones. The two accessories feature a Safari color with metallic gold accents and prominent Balmain labeling.

balmainbeats-800x418.jpg

The Beats/Balmain collection delivers premium sound and exquisite design reflective of Balmain's iconic style. The Beats Studio Wireless headphones are finished in Safari color with metallic gold accents to represent Olivier Rousteing's dreamlike vision of an urban safari. Each comes with a matching suede case adorned with a Balmain plaque and the symbolic Balmain coin zipper pull.
In an interview with fashion magazine Vogue, Balmain designer and creative director Olivier Rousteing said his connection with the Beats by Dre brand began four years ago when members of the team came to a Balmain show in Paris. "What they love about Balmain is that I embrace music. We've always had an idea of making something happen together," he said.

He went on to say that his aim with the design was to bring French luxury to technology. "When it's about technology, there are challenges, so you need a lot of respect. You cannot treat headphones like a garment," he said.

Apple and Balmain are working with model Kylie Jenner to promote the partnership and the new headphone line. Kylie Jenner has shared a photo of herself wearing the headphones on Instagram, and she's featured in product videos on Apple's website.

kyliejennerbalmain-800x547.jpg

The Balmain Beats Studio Wireless Headphones can be purchased from the Apple website for $600, while the Powerbeats3 are available for $250.

(Thanks, Kevin!)

Article Link: Apple Teams Up With Balmain for Special Edition Beats

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Personally I think they look revolting, like someone took a pair of white beats and marinated them in coffee for a day then coloured them in with one of those gold marker pens that always seem to run out at really inconvenient times. But I wouldn't have bought them anyway, so why should I rain on other people's parades? Like what you like.

Good luck to anyone who thinks these look lovely and has the good fortune to be able to afford them.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Personally I think they look revolting, like someone took a pair of white beats and marinated them in coffee for a day then coloured them in with one of those gold marker pens that always seem to run out at really inconvenient times. But I wouldn't have bought them anyway, so why should I rain on other people's parades? Like what you like.

Good luck to anyone who thinks these look lovely and has the good fortune to be able to afford them.

Don't underestimate the kardashian sheeps. They buy re-packaged 9$ lipsticks for over a 100 too

Reactions: DeepIn2U and Huck

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Same thing was said about the gold watch, unto which the masses should be reminded:

If you think a luxury item is too expensive, it's not meant for you.

Beats is not a luxury item though. I actually own expensive headphones that are worth the price and Beats is not one of them. A headphone that cost $15 dollars to make selling for $200 isn't overpriced, than I don't know what is.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
When you realize there's more money to be made from vapid millennials than the nerds that originally put you on the map, this is what you end up with. Too bad Apple doesn't realize how fleeting these kids are today and that they'll drop Apple the instant something new and cooler hits the tech scene.

Reactions: Huck

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Beats is not a luxury item though.

We are not talking about the Beats that you walk to down the headphones aisle at your Best Buy. It is explicitly noted that they brought the design of the luxury brand to Beats headphones and are marketing it as such.

It is even clearer now that these are not meant for you, and it still doesn't make them overpriced. You finding many reasons to dislike it and hate on it still doesn't make it overpriced.

Reactions: DaveOP

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Wayy too trendy. I guess all you need to do for a product these days is release it in a different color. I suppose everything is like video game console bundles now...

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
I feel like Beats-omg myself in the face with a chihuahua rather than see that Jenner hag and those horrid “headphones” that’ll break after 20 minutes of use.

*KAPOW!!!*

Reactions: Huck

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Well, unfortunately those statements are true. Extremely overpriced headphones

It just doesn't have the value proposition to *you* to justify that price point. It doesn't to me either. That does NOT mean it won't have value prop to someone else at that point. The correct price for an item is what consumers are willing to pay. If the look, or exclusivity, or perceived cool factor, justify $600 to enough people to fill their expected sales volume then they have priced these product correctly (or even under depending on sales).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.