Apple Teams Up With Balmain for Special Edition Beats

craigmak

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
If you don't like them then don't buy them. There is no reason to bash Apple/beats/Jenner. I'm guessing the target audience is 20-30 year old Females. I love my Powerbeats for excercising or even just being in the office. As for the price Apple and beats have always charged a premium for the name. While it may cost a few dollars to manufacture you need to look at the R&D spend too. If you sell it for cost then you don't make enough to develop new versions of the product.

Reactions: applesith

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have a variety of headphones including a few pair of Beats. Here is my 2 cents.

1. Most people who bash beats have never actually listened to a pair. Not everyone, but most.
2. The more recent models are greatly improved over early models.
3. They were created to create a unique listening environment, not to be sonically accurate or transparent or anything like that.
4. I actually really enjoy them and the heavy bass they produce.
5. You can find less expensive headphones that sound similar or even better, just like you can buy a more powerful PC for less money than a Mac.

And no matter how you spin it, buying Beats instead of another brand isn't any different than buying Macs instead of PCs. The only difference is the reason that you are willing to pay a premium, and no one really has any business criticizing a buyer for spending more than they would spend if the buyer feels that the value is there.

Having said all that, these are the most awful looking things I have seen in a long time.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I don't get why people are so upset about what Beats is doing as if it were Apple, yes, they are owned by Apple but Apple is clearly keeping it's simple, minimalist, more innovative approach to products. They are two separate brands with separate approaches Ex: The smarter, simpler AirPods vs Beats headphones, the super smart HomePod vs Beats Speakers.

It's like getting upset that Lamborghini or Bugatti is owned by Volkswagen AG. Lambos aren't getting any slower because Volkswagen owns them and Volkswagens aren't starting to cost six figures because they own Lamborghini.

Reactions: mejsric

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London
Same thing was said about the gold watch, unto which the masses should be reminded:

If you think a luxury item is too expensive, it's not meant for you.
Sorry, but there's a difference between luxury and over priced crap. I could afford these, easily, but I have no interest as they are style over substance and not a nice style at that. Reminds me of the English pudding angel delight and I think that was about a quid a packet.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
We are not talking about the Beats that you walk to down the headphones aisle at your Best Buy. It is explicitly noted that they brought the design of the luxury brand to Beats headphones and are marketing it as such.

It is even clearer now that these are not meant for you, and it still doesn't make them overpriced. You finding many reasons to dislike it and hate on it still doesn't make it overpriced.
You would think that my beats studio wireless would hardly make sound, based on the foolish hate. Don't want to pay? Don't. Seems simple enough.

There is an opposite of brand loyalty and that's exactly what you see on here when beats is mentioned. My studios sound excellent and I got them for less than 300 from B&H. Would recommend them to friends but they do that when I let people try them.

Very happy customer and will buy again when the time comes.
[doublepost=1500499341][/doublepost]
Sorry, but there's a difference between luxury and over priced crap. I could afford these, easily, but I have no interest as they are style over substance and not a nice style at that. Reminds me of the English pudding angel delight and I think that was about a quid a packet.
Good for you. I really like my beats and think your headphones suck and are ugly.

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Them not being your style also does not make them overpriced crap.

its93rc

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Austin, Texas
I'm familiar with fashion and Balmain is known for being gaudy and over-the-top. That being said, these don't look that bad, color-wise, so I'm sure its intended demo (Girls 14-30) will love them.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
Do they come w/ a Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) audio commentary to go w/ these props from a cheesy '50s movie?

Seriously, they look like they came out of the set of Flesh Gordon, the '70s "randy spoof". Mac Rumors most passionate Apple-ites would be spliting their sides in raucous laughter if Samsung owned Beats.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Same thing was said about the gold watch, unto which the masses should be reminded:

But the problem is a gold watch has value, it's made out of gold. Apple these days wants us to think it's a luxury brand but it's selling a freakin' pair of headphones that have no intrinsic value!

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009

A luxury headphone set should at least sound luxury... which I don't expect Beats to accomplish

Also, the gold Watch had actual gold plating. This headset looks like gold-coloured plastic. Is "luxury" dyed plastic really that luxurious?

Reactions: GrumpyMom

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Oh my God! I was scrolling down on the front page and saw the picture of these things and I thought to myself "Oh look, Beats Headphones, The Kardashian Edition" and then I clicked on the article and there's one of the witchy brood modeling them! I am feeling psychic. Time to play the ponies!

Oh well, they're a color somebody will love. To each their own.

Reactions: Sunny1990

xbankaiz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
DE
Not sure who the target audience is because the people who wear/buy Balmain, usually don't buy Beats products as they'd rather go for something more exclusive. Probably, it is for the people (Kardashian & Jenner sheep) who want to look "cool and rich" by getting a ostentatious Beats and a Balmain product in one at this price. Like someone said above, this is actually cheap for Balmain.

LDNA

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
Girls you gotta stop fighting. They're actually a pretty colour. I'd either get these or gloss black if I was in the market.

The standard gold has too much white, whilst these are a richer 'champagne' colour (like the iPhone I suppose). The tan accents are hot :rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Nope it's overpriced crap - if you want to bring luxury into the equation.

To call this a luxury item, is not understanding what luxury means ;) .....and in the headphone world of luxury..... this is cheap cheap crap!! just saying .

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I'm quite disappointed with this article as I initially read it as "Apple Teams Up With Batman for Special Edition Beats", which obviously would have been much more exciting.