Apple Teams Up With Zimmer Biomet for Clinical Study on Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Zimmer Biomet, a company that develops joint replacement products, today announced that it is working with Apple to improve patient experience with Apple Watch and iPhone following knee and hip replacements.

A new Zimmer Biomet mymobility app uses the Apple Watch to "facilitate a new level of connection" between patients and their doctors as they recover from major joint replacement surgery. Through the app, patients will be provided with "support and guidance" while preparing for and recovering from surgery, with surgeons able to use the data to "optimize care."

[​IMG]

In addition to collecting activity data and allowing surgeons to see recovery progress, the app can be used to send education and therapy reminders directly to patients.

Zimmer Biomet is launching a clinical study to determine the Apple Watch app's impact on patient outcomes and overall costs for joint replacement patients. Knee and hip replacements are common surgeries with more than a million occurring each year in the United States.

As part of the study, which will enroll up to 10,000 people, Zimmer Biomet says that patients will use the mymobility app on the Apple Watch as they progress through the hip or knee replacement journey. Patient reported feedback will be combined with health and activity data from the Apple Watch to see how the mymobility app impacts care.

Apple's chief operating officer Jeff Williams said that with the Apple Watch and Zimmer's app, patients will be able to participate in their own care in ways not previously possible.
    Several facilities are participating in the new mymobility Apple Watch clinical study including academic centers, hospitals, and ambulatory surgery centers.

Article Link: Apple Teams Up With Zimmer Biomet for Clinical Study on Joint Replacement

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Apple is going all in on this health kick.

3. MareLuce macrumors 6502a

Re: The message showing on the watch

I’ve read that it’s always better to say the positive form

“Remember to do X”

Instead of

“Don’t forget to do X”

4. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

Is Apple trying to make the Apple Watch the ultimate old person tracker or what?

5. The Barron macrumors 6502

NO

6. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

In terms of medical tools, Apple seems to be advancing far ahead of any competition (unless I'm mistaken), it's not just a workout buddy anymore. I think the possibilities are endless if they keep this up, and dump that worthless Project Titan already. Of course, this, and all medical trackers, should always be optional and up to the user to give permission to access any health data. Kudos Apple!

7. Kabeyun, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Unfortunately the health system I work for takes a dim view of any communication outside their own EMR product and its proprietary communication pathways. (They are also contracted to use a different vendor’s joints.) This affects employed surgeons more than private practice surgeons, who are free to deploy whatever technology they see fit. Pity.

8. falainber macrumors 6502a

falainber

The only medical thing AW does is heart rate tracking. All other devices do the same. Apple does try to get more mileage (and profits) from the tracker than other companies though.

9. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

10. MrJeffreyGee macrumors regular

MrJeffreyGee

I hope more medical companies do this to improve quality of life for people and then actually do something about it.

11. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I am one who has many medical issues and understands we are in the early years of wearable technology. But, I think Apple should concentrate on making their current products work correctly before getting too far ahead of themselves.

My Activity App does not work correctly. We have no idea of the issues the ECG Monitor/App will have. IMHO

12. jeff051177 macrumors member

This really isn't news..... there are lots of companies already doing this commercially. Pretty much all of the major contract clinical trials management companies have this capability - including the one I work for.

13. Unimpossible macrumors member

Unimpossible

Has anyone actually certified «health and activity data» from the Apple watch to be of such quality it can be used clinically?

14. Mjolnir23 macrumors newbie

This research project does not Require surgeons to use only
    Zimmer/biomet implants even though sponsored by the company.