Apple Tech Lied to me About....

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by karino1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. karino1 macrumors member

I do have the first iPad and I'm so mad with Apple for telling me I could purchase the camera kit to down load videos while I wait it out for the iMac.I have an old PowerBook G4 and it's not compatible with HD videos..

Anyway, I thought I had a temporary solution to my problem. Not only did I get the camera kit connector suggested but also purchase the Canon M41 Camcorder which I'm disappointed with bc it so big. iMove isn't available for the iPad1. Total waste of time and money.

I made three calls to Apple and time again I was told it should work. Well, today I finally had time to really work this out and realized I didn't have the application for the videos to download to. I thought it was part of iPhoto. No, I was told just download iMove. Well, I don't see any iMove that's compatible with the iPad1. Now, I finally spoke to a tech who was able to confirm that I was given the wrong info. REALLY! SO ANNOYED WITH THEM. I''m in the same boat I started.
    Just needed to vent. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Got your receipts? Take 'em back for a refund.

3. Ccrew, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or download the iPhone configurator from the App Store and push it to it that way. It's a documented workaround: (Not my instructions)

"It is possible to install the new iMovie software on the original iPad and you don’t need a jailbreak to get it to work. Here’s how to do it

When you try and install iMovie, the Apps Store checks the account and then the device and will stop you from installing it on the iPad One as its listed as an ‘unsupported device’. So, you’ll need to download The iPhone Configuration Utility from http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/ if you want to get around this . If you’re a PC user though, don’t worry, there are Mac and PC Versions available there

First, Download the iMovie App, then after you’ve done this, plug in your iPad and let it sync as normal. Finally fire up the iPhone Configuration Utility and select the ‘Application’ tab on the left side. Then select ‘Add’ at the top left. The dialogue should now show you the newly downloaded iMovie App, add the app and then click the name of your iPad in the left hand column and select ‘Applications’ in the overhead tabs.

Scroll through the apps until you find the New iMovie App and then click the ‘install’ button which is next to it. In a moment or two you will see that the item is install and you can simply unplug and get started.

A word of warning though. Once you’ve done that, when you reconnect your iPad you will get a warning that the computer you are attached to is no longer authorized for the apps on that iPad. If you click ‘Authorize’ nothing will happen and the dialogue will come back again next time. If you click ‘Don’t Authorize’ then the newly installed iMovie Software will be removed and you’ll have to start again.

Why Apple is blatantly borking software which is perfectly capable of running on older devices isn’t clear but where there’s a will, there’s a hack

Happy Hacking""

4. BillG53 macrumors member

Sorry but I cannot accept that they "lied" to you. I'm leaning way over to the side that says you are still figuring out how to use the hardware/software. I had a problem with my Apple hardware one time and I called them. They practically crawled through the phone to try and help me and when they couldn't, they made an appointment for me at the Apple store where the problem I caused through my own operator error was corrected at no charge by them. A few days later the Apple tech rep called me to inquire further about how I might have caused such a foul-up. They were trying to see if they could do anything on their end to prevent it from happening to anyone else. No... if there is a problem, I do not believe it is them lying to anyone.

5. Chris230291 macrumors member

The camera connection kit does work with the original iPad. I have no idea about iMove though, but Garage Band works on the 1st iPad.

6. foiden macrumors 6502a

The Camera Connection Kit completely does work on iPad1. Thing is, most likely your question was misinterpreted. Even the way you put it here sounds like you wanted to get a movie off the camera into the iPad, which is possible in all iPad models, but whether the movie file is compatible varies based on your exact camera and it's video file saving capabilities.

If you get a movie off your camera, there's certain formats that are immediately playable in the Videos app. That's different from iMovie. That app is used to simply play back stored video data, including videos ripped from a camera or card using the Camera Connection Kit.

iMovie, on the other hand, is made to *make* or *edit* new movies from a combination of stored existing motion video and existing photos, with user added transitions and titles. But you asked to simply play downloaded videos, and in many configs (including my own) the video from the camera can be grabbed right with the CCK and I can play it back using the default Videos App regardless of iPad model. I used my CCK first when only the iPad 1 existed for this.

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I found that iMovie was suddenly compatible with my iPad 1 after the 5.1 update. I forced iMovie on the iPad using the above instructions in the past, but this time it just appeared there. Runs well.

8. foiden macrumors 6502a

Ok. And my mistake. The default application to view the video was Photos, not Videos. The format is important, though. Some cameras record and make mp4s, others don't. For the ones that don't, they need to be converted first.

9. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Lied to is a little harsh. They have no advantage to make you mad as a customer. What happened was someone miss informed you, but I would be mad too. Just remember mistakes happen.

10. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you. I was upset at the time when I wrote that. People do make mistakes unfortunately at a cost to others sometimes.

11. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

I have been calling in for support here and there over ten years with Apple support, I too have had wonderful support. I was misinformed and its documented and as a result Apple agreed to take back the camcorder I ordered from them after the two week period. It's in the notes and there's no iMove for iPad1. Anyway, I'm happy they were able to make good on the error.

12. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

They were able to see what transpired from the note on file and have allowed me to return the items although it was after two wks. :)

----------

Thanks. What video app did you use with your iPad 1?

13. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

LOL. I'm sorry I got to this late. I do appreciate your posting. I'm going to download it although Apples agree it was a mistake and allowed me to retrun the camcorder after the return period.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am NOT sure about iMovie will work on old iPad???? How are you gonna do with iMovie?

15. Shayna79 macrumors newbie

Take it back, simple as that! You shouldn't expect techs to figure out your issues anyway

16. karino1 thread starter macrumors member

I was looking to upload videos to post to YouTube.

17. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm unclear if you need to edit the movies or not - if not, you can upload to YouTube right from the Photos app.