apple tech stole my airport card

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
hi all

i rather stupidly brought a broken pb off ebay last week and took it down to 1st COMPUTER SOLUTIONS PARK ROYAL UK ):

they do a free diagnostic so they looked at it and said it works but the screen needs replaceing and a new dc in board is needed £400 in all !!

anyway i said i would take my pb back off them and think about it ?

gave them a £10 for thier troubles and took my pb home !!

now as i took the thing apart i noticed my airport xtreme card was gone
which i could swear was in there when i brought it !!!!!!!!

i have phoned 1 st computer and they said they use a former apple tech for macs and that they would have a word but he will probably deny it !!!!

is there anything i could do to prove he stole my airport card !!!

help

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Not unless you have some means to PROVE it was in there before you handed the Powerbook over to them... your statement that you could "swear" it was in there beforehand sounds to me like you're not sure. I'd recommend that you speak to the manager... perhaps he can check in the tech's work area and see if there's an extra, unaccounted-for AE module lying about.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
ok

yeah i know but my sister who fitted a friends battery to the pb and who opened the little latch to get at the airport card said she is 100 % sure it was there as the little connector cable was tight and she could not get it off !!

i am pretty sure as well but the manager is gonna check with this external apple tech and see

i bet i know his answer ):

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
ok

i did that but seen as she knows little about macs she says she didnt have a airport card but the machine sticker clearly says airport exterme
oh well i will speak to tech and if he denys it then i will take his word but unless i am going blind there was a card in there :)

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
MacFan25863 said:
Are you sure the box didn't say Airport Compatible?
Based on all the comments i take it that you don't have a wireless network at you home. Cause if you did i don't think you would be questioning whether or not you had a Airport Card.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Gokhan said:
yeah i know but my sister who fitted a friends battery to the pb and who opened the little latch to get at the airport card said she is 100 % sure it was there as the little connector cable was tight and she could not get it off !!
:
Why would your sister try and disconnect the Airport Card?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
no no no this is the 21st century, what you need is the gravity gun :cool:

i dont know how much of a leg you have to stand on here. saying you 'swear' isnt really legally binding. maybe the s/n of the machine will give away some detail as to its innards? perhaps.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
resolved

resolved

i am gonna pay £20 and the tech the rest to get a airport extreme card
seems stupid now as i fitted a new dc in board and the logic board now seems at fault as its still not chargeing the battery so i am selling it on ebay as spares

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Gokhan said:
resolved

i am gonna pay £20 and the tech the rest to get a airport extreme card
seems stupid now as i fitted a new dc in board and the logic board now seems at fault as its still not chargeing the battery so i am selling it on ebay as spares
So did the place admit the tech stole it? Is the tech willing to pay a part of it? If so he should pay all of it. I would be raising hell.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
yeah

yeah after a quick call to apple about how there products are being stolen by thier so called techs he changed his tune and we are going halfs on a new card to avoid court i dont think he stole it but maybe it was misplaced :) :)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Gokhan said:
yeah after a quick call to apple about how there products are being stolen by thier so called techs he changed his tune and we are going halfs on a new card to avoid court i dont think he stole it but maybe it was misplaced :) :)

Damn, you got ripped. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a free card period. If he is paying half then he is admitting guilt and will pay all. He knows he has it.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Gokhan said:
if they went half, they would have gone all the way. you shouldn't have stopped. most places like this train their employees to offer half first, and at last resort the whole way. basically, your time on the phone will cost them more than the cost of changing the part. remember that next time.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
yeah

next time as apple suggested when anybody takes a machine in for repair a config check must be done by the tech with the owner present to sign the check confiming his or her machines specs

bear this in mind people dont just hand over ur machine like i did ):

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.