Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I am shortly going to tear down a black can for a horsepower transplant, I wondered if there was any kind apple tech able to send me a copy via pm as I can't seem to find a searchable PDF on the web and my usual source is off sick from work for about a month!

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Speaking as a ACMT, the Apple Service Guide for the nMP calls for a bunch of parts to cradle the system and components a certain way, and some specialized hand tools to disassemble the system. Without them, the guide will be a bit useless.

I'd just go by what iFixit has for a real-world tear down.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
I am shortly going to tear down a black can for a horsepower transplant, I wondered if there was any kind apple tech able to send me a copy via pm as I can't seem to find a searchable PDF on the web and my usual source is off sick from work for about a month!

Gav Mack, I'd also recommend that you get yourself an anti-static wriststrap first.

P.S. Take a look at this thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1722809/ .

Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Speaking as a ACMT, the Apple Service Guide for the nMP calls for a bunch of parts to cradle the system and components a certain way, and some specialized hand tools to disassemble the system. Without them, the guide will be a bit useless.

I'd just go by what iFixit has for a real-world tear down.

I'd heard that was the case about the cradle - its things like the recommended order of tightening sequences that I would find the service guide really handy along with the thermal paste policy and type. Plus it's the only one missing in my set :D

----------

Gav Mack, I'd also recommend that you get yourself an anti-static wriststrap first.

P.S. Take a look at this thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1722809/ .

Won't the copper heating pipe and my rubber floor mat suffice :D

Cheers for that info Tutor - there was always going to be an AS-5 comparison coming with with this far cheaper version of OWC's Xeon upgrades :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.