Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
So I turn this sonAmonAbatch off, the iMac is sleeping with iTunes off.

Now I come home to a red light beaming from the optical digital audio port and the :apple: TV is warm as all hell and then some.

What's the deal, am I turning this thing off the right way or am I NOT "turning it on", hence the "I aint had some in a while" red hate?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
As I understand it, you can put the :apple:tv into standby mode by holding down the play button on the remote (much as you would do with the iPod).

Can't really understand the iMac part of the question. Could you be more clear on the problem there?

Adoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Hahaha, what language are you speaking?

Turn your TV on, and shut down the :apple:TV through the interface.

I am speakin' in an extremely stereotypical AAAYtalian Johnny of the Phackin' dangerously clan mixed in with a very GREEN and oh so new MAC user that decided to purchase one of these here thingies.

So, if you can be so kind as to giving me a quick "how to shut this sonAmonAbatch off" it would turn out to be nice you...

Adoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
As I understand it, you can put the :apple:tv into standby mode by holding down the play button on the remote (much as you would do with the iPod).

Can't really understand the iMac part of the question. Could you be more clear on the problem there?

I put it on standby as you said above, but the machine heats up regardless... the reason I mention the iMac is because the :apple: TV will turn on when changes are made to iTunes so I wanted to be clear that iTunes was off.

Adoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
there should be a newbie filter that doesn't allow people like this

:eek:

There should also be a filter that doesn't allow you to prevent newbies from asking "people like this" questions.

You have an issue with my humor/questions, simple resolution, don't reply. How do you like dem "Apples".

The reason, I hope, a forum like this has newbies is because they are just THAT, new to Mac.

Now I see your answer didn't help me much, but it did give me a chance to use that Apple line I've been wanting to for a while now.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
There should also be a filter that doesn't allow you to prevent newbies from asking "people like this" questions.

You have an issue with my humor/questions, simple resolution, don't reply. How do you like dem "Apples".

The reason, I hope, a forum like this has newbies is because they are just THAT, new to Mac.

Now I see your answer didn't help me much, but it did give me a chance to use that Apple line I've been wanting to for a while now.

Well if your talking about shutting off your iMac youll be wanting to go apple (Top left in the menu bar) then second last! ShutDown...

Helpful?

jhershauer

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Mine is the same way. As far as I can tell, all putting it in standby does is stop it from sending anything to the TV. It doesn't appear to go into a "sleep" mode like you would have with a laptop.

Like you, I made sure it wasn't trying to sync with the parent iMac. I shut down iTunes on that machine.

Not sure this helps any, but at least you know you're not the only one with a combo Media-center and full time hotplate.

Jeff

I put it on standby as you said above, but the machine heats up regardless... the reason I mention the iMac is because the :apple: TV will turn on when changes are made to iTunes so I wanted to be clear that iTunes was off.

Adoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Mine is the same way. As far as I can tell, all putting it in standby does is stop it from sending anything to the TV. It doesn't appear to go into a "sleep" mode like you would have with a laptop.

Like you, I made sure it wasn't trying to sync with the parent iMac. I shut down iTunes on that machine.

Not sure this helps any, but at least you know you're not the only one with a combo Media-center and full time hotplate.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I guess it's made to be toasty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.