Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
In the article Apple was a minor part, with Amazon the real player where most of the action supposedly took place.

This is one reason I use a different cloud provider, even though my use case is not particularly sensitive. I do not want to be using what "everybody" is using.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Didn’t Apple admit to tampered machines in 2016? At least one.

I dunno I still think it’s possible for more tampered machines to be placed out in the wild.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
And you have a problem with an illustration that evokes one of the masters of mechanical/scientific illustration?!

I happen to really, really like the Pop Mech back in the day.

Right along with my JC Whitney and JEGS catalogs and my dad never cancelling his Reader's Digest subscription so there were two dozen or more of those things throughout the house.
[doublepost=1538949320][/doublepost]
Didn’t Apple admit to tampered machines in 2016? At least one.

I dunno I still think it’s possible for more tampered machines to be placed out in the wild.
Apple admitted something bad? Nope, nope, neither do I buy in to that "secret meeting" where someone said the trashcan was a bad thermal design.
It's just a limited edition model.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Bloomberg, fire your liar and the world will be quiet again!
Shame Bloomberg. Investigative journalism is not your strength.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I never said there was proof of anything, but my point is that proof of nothing, proves nothing...
You don’t see the flaw in your logic? As evidenced by what you just wrote?

They looked. They found no chips upon physical inspections. They found no unexplained network traffic. Nobody has produced a single photograph, network trace, or any other evidence to the contrary.

How much proof of nothing does it take to convince you that there is nothing to prove?

Reactions: DanBig

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just saying.... SuperMicro sells how many motherboards? And there's not even some back office blurry cell phone photo of a "compromised motherboard" with top secret Chinese "microchip" (if that's even it's real name) that changes how the host operating system works.

C'mon Bloomer.

Reactions: diddl14

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Seems to me that the supposed gov't sources for this story would have to find a new career if it were every disclosed that they provided the information. Of course, they could also supply a red herring story to the reporter(s), perhaps one that anyone with a tech background would immediately identify as improbable (without discovery), but a reporter looking for a home run story would eat up without question. Subsequently, the story blows up in the publisher's face. That might be an effective method of discouraging reporters from approaching gov't folks with high security clearances looking to unearth classified information. Just another way of looking at it; we'll never know the "truth".

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple and amazon have gone on the record stating that after physical and digital inspections they never found any such chip. Two governments have stated on the record that they believe that.

The news organization making the extraordinarily claim has not produced a single on the record individual witness, nor a single photograph of the supposed chip, nor a single network trace showing illicit traffic, nor any other physical evidence, despite the claim that this is rampant and has affected thousands of machines.

You say that apple not finding anything isn’t proof that there is nothing to find.

I asked a simple question: what would it take to convince you?

Because the answer appears to be that you can’t be convinced. And if no amount of evidence can change your mind, you are basing your opinion on voodoo, not facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Right along with my JC Whitney and JEGS catalogs and my dad never cancelling his Reader's Digest subscription so there were two dozen or more of those things throughout the house.

Funny you mention old catalogs. We recently moved, and this had fallen behind a shelf in the basement. The paper material of the catalog was such that it’s still very sturdy. Need to order any 3.5” “micro disk” floppies? :D
Untitled.jpg

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
His argument was ridiculous, and I found no reason to continue the discussion. He's arguing that this couldn't possibly have happened, implying that I'm arguing that it did happen, which I'm not. I'm arguing that it could have happened, which is correct. Since the premise of his argument is flawed, there's really no point in pursuing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
Bloomberg joining #fakenews now? Sad!

Ahhh... let's continue to categorize everything that we don't fully understand or opposes our views as "Fake News" after all everyone's doing it!!
[doublepost=1538950831][/doublepost]
Name one undetectable by common practices.

Fortune 500 companies employ teams of IT security experts. So please enlighten us armchair hacker.

Are you implying that because Fortune 500 companies employ "teams of IT security experts" that their systems can't be breached or compromised?! HA!!!

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
His argument was ridiculous, and I found no reason to continue the discussion. He's arguing that this couldn't possibly have happened, implying that I'm arguing that it did happen, which I'm not. I'm arguing that it could have happened, which is correct. Since the premise of his argument is flawed, there's really no point in pursuing it.
Anything COULD happen. But in the absence of any evidence, and with mounting evidence of absence, pointing out that something COULD be true, when that something is as extraordinary as this, is silly.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So it’s Bloomberg against multiple companies and government agencies (from different countries to boot). Bloomberg is probably just going to ride this until people forgets about it. I mean they have succeeded in inserting the narrative. Now people will have that chip in their mind, no matter what. That’s the point. Just like many other “news”. The point is to get in first with a bang and put certain imagery into people’s minds. It works well with the “wars” etc.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
This is a Dog & Pony Show. If there's an ongoing investigation, #1, they rarely will even tell you. #2 Apple and others might not even know about it. It's even possible no one will ever know if its a vulnerability that is still existing and could be done again. The government never confirms stuff like this and strongly warns companies to do the same while secretly working behind the scenes. Everyone would be told to DENY ANYTHING.

This is not possible in the US.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Anything COULD happen. But in the absence of any evidence, and with mounting evidence of absence, pointing out that something COULD be true, when that something is as extraordinary as this, is silly.

And continuing with the ad hominen attacks shows the weakness in your position.
This shows you the power of suggestion, which the media like Bloomberg are expertly doing. You don’t need anything. Simply create the possibility of something scary, add on infographics and technical jumbo jumbo, and people’s imagination will do the rest (happily aided by Hollywood and TV). Mission accomplished.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The pictures of this 'China Chip' look so much like the 'chips' on DIMM memory. The little 'chip' that the system queries to see what type of memory is installed.

The 'chip' is not 'active' in the 'it doesn't do stuff on its own', as much as it is like a sign post on the side of the road that tells you where you are, or what the speed limit is, or the next town will be if you stay on that road.

The idea that a 'chip' with three connections could 'ROCK THE WORLD', and 'Hack Apple' is so laughable, I'd need to get clear underwear. The support chips to support that 'hacking' would be noticeable.

This is, in my limited knowledge, ********.

What isn't ******** is the idea that China may have 'tweaked' the BIOS, or firmware to allow for *someone* to access a router, a memory board, a system.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
At this point Bloomberg needs to have its sources come forward and examples of the compromise (or documents proving this happened etc.) be shown. Is it possible the intelligence community's (five eyes) and these companies don't want this to have happened? (each for their own reasons)
I'd say at this point there's too much money and interests at stake for any proof to be publicly released.

cwt2nospam

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2016
Not at all. His argument was ridiculous, and I found no reason to continue the discussion. He's arguing that this couldn't possibly have happened, implying that I'm arguing that it did happen, which I'm not. I'm arguing that it could have happened, which is correct. Since the premise of his argument is flawed, there's really no point in pursuing it.
Your argument is pointless. Yes, it could have happened, or we could all be sitting in a cave hooked up to the Matrix. Or maybe this is all just a dream/nightmare and we're just figments of some higher being's imagination. With no evidence to back any of these possibilities up, speculation about any of them serves no purpose.
[doublepost=1538957372][/doublepost]
I'd say at this point there's too much money and interests at stake for any proof to be publicly released.
So then why make any part of it public? If it's real and you make it public without proof you're creating an additional problem without doing anything to mitigate the original problem.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Wow a certification! How many *weeks* was the class for that? I mean the exam has 90 whole questions. :rolleyes:

You know some people get whole degrees from accredited universities in this stuff.

Again you didn't list an undetectable way to communicate massive data with China. You listed areas that "abuse" could occur. Malware doing something is one thing. Malware on thousands of servers transmitting back to the motherland without any notice of the outbound traffic is something completely different.

Undetectable? Some 16 yr old stole 90gb from Apple's servers. Seems there is.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/16/teen-pleads-guilty-hacking-apple-servers/

Reactions: Marekul and IG88

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Your argument is pointless. Yes, it could have happened, or we could all be sitting in a cave hooked up to the Matrix. Or maybe this is all just a dream/nightmare and we're just figments of some higher being's imagination. With no evidence to back any of these possibilities up, speculation about any of them serves no purpose.
Not at all. I'm merely stating that what they're accusing Apple of is, in fact, a possibility. It is nowhere near as far-fetched as sitting in a cave in the matrix. It's unfortunate you don't seem to understand the difference.
[doublepost=1538959314][/doublepost]
I have yet to see any compelling technical explanation, so far it’s broad statements.

As a reader, among other, we’d appreciate an in-depth explanation
I have already specified some means whereby such a thing could be possible, and I will not do so again. Go back if you're curious. I do not know exactly how the "chip" was designed to operate, and I don't believe anyone does. My point, is that the allegations are not impossible. Firewalls are not the bullet-proof things people think they are, in fact they're far from that. If they're not properly managed or sufficiently powerful, they're borderline useless to any company which has significant security concerns, such as a major corporation like Apple. Even then, there are always ways around firewalls. I have already mentioned some, feel free to read and do your own research if you don't believe me.

Reactions: Marekul and IG88

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Not at all. His argument was ridiculous, and I found no reason to continue the discussion. He's arguing that this couldn't possibly have happened, implying that I'm arguing that it did happen, which I'm not. I'm arguing that it could have happened, which is correct. Since the premise of his argument is flawed, there's really no point in pursuing it.

Doesn't that mean anything could have happened in all cases? X could have happened, I'm not saying it did but it could have. Can there be a more pointless statement?

Reactions: cwt2nospam

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Doesn't that mean anything could have happened in all cases? X could have happened, I'm not saying it did but it could have. Can there be a more pointless statement?
No. It’s as pointless as any statement can be. And he refuses to address my actual point, which is that all the evidence says no, and there is zero evidence that says yes, so there is no point in saying “but it’s possible.” As you correctly point out, and what I said earlier, is that by that logic ANYTHING is possible and nothing can be proven or disproven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.