Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be testing a notification service on the iCloud website. The test message appears at the top of the browser window upon logging into iCloud.com.

icloudnotification.jpg

Apple introduced a new notification system in iOS 5 and has announced that a similar feature will be coming to the Mac in the Mountain Lion operating system this summer.

It's possible that Apple will include syncing code in iCloud to share notifications across devices, for calendar alerts and new mail, or the notifications may be used for some other purpose.

Article Link: Apple Testing Notifications on iCloud Website

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
access to the iOS features on your phone through the web browser would be handy.

Last edited:

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Cool, but I don't know of any reason (yet) that I would be constantly logged into iCloud.

I wonder if apple is planning some features such as iMessage via the icloud web site. or maybe even "back to my mac service" via iCloud and a web browser.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Mountain Lion allows websites to send notifications to Notification Center (a la Desktop Notifications in Chrome). I'm sure iCloud.com will support that so maybe this will be an alternative meant for non-ML systems?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Why doesn't Apple fix all the issues with the current services instead of testing a pointless notification system like this. What you gonna do? Sit with iCloud.com open and wait for notifications there? There are already so many issues with iCloud the whole thing is just a big let down...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I can see it now, iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro and MacBook Pro all "pinging" when a notification comes on. I'd be running around my room trying to turn them all off lol (I know, you can set each device with its own settings, just being humorous) :)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Why doesn't Apple fix all the issues with the current services instead of testing a pointless notification system like this. What you gonna do? Sit with iCloud.com open and wait for notifications there? There are already so many issues with iCloud the whole thing is just a big let down...

Who's to say they aren't? Maybe they're working on bug fixes/enhancements, as well as wrapping something like this up into it?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have iCloud open in a browser all day at work. I would love to have something like this. It already works great for calendar alerts--I'd love to see notification integration.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I read a brilliant piece on Apple in PC Pro' prolog today, "can Apple cope with the shift from underdog to top dog". As much as I like the new iCloud innovations and improvement over what MobileMe should have been. The fact Apple is dragging it's heels in almost every other area does make me wonder if the "Prosumer" market that Apple seems determined to go after is resulting in it leaving it behind all it's credible root's. We've seen it with FCPX the loss of iWeb etc, development of the Mac Pro and god knows whats happening with Logic.
I am beginning to wonder if Apple can cope..definitely the cracks are beginning to appear, the Malware case and the slow response being one of the first. I hope they can.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Hopefully this means they are working on cloud-based alerts and if you read one on your iPhone it is removed from your iPad, etc.

CaptainsLog

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
kind of cool in theory but why?

Should be releasing the MBP instead of this...

____ (thing desired) is not available now. Shouldn't _____ (manufacturer) be spending all their resources fulfilling my desire? Quit wasting time on _____ (thing not desired).

I wonder how many people use the iCloud interface enough to find this useful. Although I suppose if it extended into iMessages somehow and you could carry on conversations seamlessly moving from your iPhone to your PC at work and then back to the native iMessages app at home on your Mac that could be useful.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I read a brilliant piece on Apple in PC Pro' prolog today, "can Apple cope with the shift from underdog to top dog". As much as I like the new iCloud innovations and improvement over what MobileMe should have been. The fact Apple is dragging it's heels in almost every other area does make me wonder if the "Prosumer" market that Apple seems determined to go after is resulting in it leaving it behind all it's credible root's. We've seen it with FCPX the loss of iWeb etc, development of the Mac Pro and god knows whats happening with Logic.
I am beginning to wonder if Apple can cope..definitely the cracks are beginning to appear, the Malware case and the slow response being one of the first. I hope they can.

Coping with the shift may mean Apple cutting products, drastically changing them, or just simply redefining everything. They have done it before and will do it again. They're not at all afraid to do this. And they don't like to react frantically to things until they know the full story.

Apple has control over its own hardware, its own software, its own ecosystem. Because of this, they can pretty much do anything they need or want to do. I think it's premature to say that PCs are dying, but I think Apple considers the iPod to be its rebirth and is building off of that. PCs are almost starting to seem like machines from another era. The iPod/iPhone/iPad are Apple's "new" roots. Can't wait to see how they build from here.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I do that now...

Yeah, I just realized I do the same, this is really only for online iCloud notifications of course. Still humorous, however it makes for a GREAT alarm clock having all your devices going off at once :D

I read a brilliant piece on Apple in PC Pro' prolog today, "can Apple cope with the shift from underdog to top dog"....The fact Apple is dragging it's heels in almost every other area does make me wonder if the "Prosumer" market that Apple seems determined to go after is resulting in it leaving it behind all it's credible root's. We've seen it with FCPX the loss of iWeb etc, development of the Mac Pro and god knows whats happening with Logic.

You have some good points. This was discussed on another front page thread. The issue with Apple seems to be Jobs' desire in keeping a small, tight knit group of engineers that can be moved between departments, such as iOS and OS X. Jobs hated hiring more people and insisted on a small amount of engineers. Unfortunately, Apple's demand is beginning to outweigh its resources. This was apparent even before the iPhone was launched as Leopard was delayed twice due to Apple moving OS X engineers to iOS. Perhaps engineers are being worn thin, which is resulting in a (albeit debatable) quality decline in their OS's. I've been to Cupertino as I have friends employed there, and the teams aren't much bigger than they were a few years ago. It wouldn't hurt Apple to hire more engineers, especially as they are attempting to unify iOS and OS X platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone else find it aesthetically inconsistent that the close button (the "X") is on the right? Since the original Mac operating system, if I'm not mistaken, the close button has been on the left. The only other place Apple has placed the close button is in those HTML5 "pop-over" (does anyone know the name for those?) frames, which are often used for enlarging a photo, playing a short video clip, or brining up a quick text box.

Last edited:

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
Come on guys, the world's most valuable company can only work on one product at a time, obviously.

dunno about the worlds most valuable company but they should be doing press releases on the MBP instead of notifications on a website.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This would be appreciated at work. iCloud is one of the few things they haven't blocked on our corporate network, so having further functionality is a nice touch for some of us.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
dunno about the worlds most valuable company but they should be doing press releases on the MBP instead of notifications on a website.
To be more precise, the world's most valuable publicly traded company. But since they have 46,000 employees, you're right. All 46,000 should be working on MacBook Pros.

Tim Cook should close every retail store until a new MBP is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.