Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
It's almost like self induced punishment to read the comments on this forum.

Apple is most certainly working on a TV.

It WILL be awesome and innovative.

It WILL sell crazy like a schizophrenic zygote.

Apple will, unsurprisingly, retain it's technological crown.

Not a single forum member will admit they were wrong.

And round we go.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
TV is so outdated anyway. The whole thing just feels like the race off between HD DVD and blue-ray.. racing to be the best at something practically obsolete

----------

Because there are more than 20 people working at the company

blu ray is 'practically obsolete'? Lol ok.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?

I hope this is a small AppleTV sized or Apple mini sized little box that is an HD projector.

That way I can make the picture any size I want and play it anywhere I want.

The controlling part done by iPad, iphone or voice is obvious.

Slam dunk!

First time I'd be waiting in line to get an Apple product!

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Apple can innovate with Television... or you know it wouldn't even consider trying. Obviously it would be voice controlled, ala Siri... would be tied to Apple's ecosystem... and they'd give it a design that TV's have never seen. I'm thinking edge-to-edge picture (no bezel)... and if they're really cool... the entire screen would be WHITE when the unit is off, not black.

Woo siri :rolleyes:

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
It WILL be awesome and innovative.

It WILL sell crazy like a schizophrenic zygote.

Apple will, unsurprisingly, retain it's technological crown.

I have to disagree. I think an Apple TV (TV display) will be a failure. Let me quote JL Gassee on that:

I simply don’t believe Apple will make, or even wants to make, a TV set. To realize the dream, as discussed previously, you need to put a computer — something like an Apple TV module — inside the set. Eighteen months later, as Moore’s Law dictates, the computer is obsolete but the screen is just fine. No problem, you’ll say, just make the computer module removable, easily replaced by a new one; more revenue for Apple…and you’re right back to today’s separate box arrangement. And you can spread said box to all HDTVs, not just the hypothetical Apple-brand set.

http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/12/09/5175/

Apple should just improve the current AppleTV (puck) and leave "dumb" display technology to others. Display technology can be disruptive and has huge fixed costs associated. Regarding the "technological crown" vs market acceptance/economics, display technology is filled with failures:

- Remember SED (from Canon)? Excellent technology, never made it to market

- Remember the Pioneer KURO Plasma? Arguably still the best displays on the market, failed to make money, gone.

Also, I can't see people buying huge displays in Apple retail stores, shipping&handling will be a nightmare for Apple.

Every AAPL investor should be afraid once Apple starts making its own TV displays. Steer clear of this one.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
What they need to do is focus on a substitute for the cable box and remote for that.. My Time-Warner remote is a 64 button DISASTER!

Anyone can provide a monitor screen.. What Apple must do is provide non-clunky user interface solutions.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?

I feel like people are focusing on just the device way too much. Apple will not break into a new industry if they can't innovate the industry itself. When they come out with a TV (not just a box), they'll do so with a new paradigm... They changed music industry (album to digital song model), cell phone industry (less control over devices by carriers), and now TV industry.

I'm very excited to see what Apple can do to this complex and horrendous monster that is TV/cable industry.

amptech

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Virginia
Good point. I'm glad they took that advice with Music, Movies, Computers, Phones and Software. :rolleyes: Apple could ship fecal matter and the marketing army would have their users convincing each other it was more user friendly. I can't believe how many people are so butt-hurt over Apple rumoring to make a TV. They have to do SOMETHING. Pushing out minor updates to Jobs' ideas isn't sustainable for much longer.

This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Anyone can provide a monitor screen.. What Apple must do is provide non-clunky user interface solutions.

Exactly, nothing is wrong with display technology (for example, nice 4K TVs coming soon from Sony and others, just a matter of time and prices coming down to acceptable levels).

Apple should focus on the UI, maybe TV control linked to its iOS devices, and forget about displays.

There are various brands providing excellent displays today:

EIZO = best LCD displays for computers
Samsung and Sharp (high-end models) = best LCD TVs
Panasonic (high-end models) = best Plasma displays

No need for an Apple display/TV.

PS: That's why I have an EIZO monitor attached to my Mac mini and refuse to use iMac "mirror" displays, although latest iMacs did improve a little regarding reflections. Still useless to change the entire system with a working display when iMac specs get outdated.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
What they need to do is focus on a substitute for the cable box and remote for that.. My Time-Warner remote is a 64 button DISASTER!

I agree - 53 buttons on my Comcast remote - maybe Sir Johnnie is tackling the human interface on this kludgy aspect of the tv experience.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
curious of what Apple would do with a TV set that would make me look at my 60" Pioneer Elite and say goodbye.
I hope they focus on the distribution model and how to interact with the TV rather than the set itself. I think both can be accomplish with a box like ATV rather than a huge display that people don't like to upgrade in short cycles.

A TV display doesn't seem the right direction, unless of course there is a magical thing we will not be able to live without.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This is getting silly!

Next headline.... "Apple testing various coffee machines - "Isn't officially break time yet". :D

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
for good reason to scrap it

it will be a very niche project.

500$ for a phone - yes.

500$ for a tablet - yes.

$2000 for a tv - no.

will anyone here tell me what would be so compelling to buy a $2000+ tv?

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Bring it on Apple!

I could not wait for this fiasco, got popcorn stash ready. This will show what Apple really is without Jobs. Sure, these squabblers under a lot of pressure. It will hit the fan though and not just TVs. Mini/Maxi model is sign of upcoming defeat. Oops, short on ideas, heh, just like the rest of us. Full ahead Apple!!!

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
A new model doesn't make an old one obsolete. It annoys me no end when people think like this.

Unless its made by apple, who fail to add new software features to new models to "encourage" people to upgrade, even though the old models are perfectly capable of running the missing "features".

Apple would need to eye a 5 year upgrade cycle, with a 10year feature support on the old models to avoid pissing off all but the most dedicated apple fanboi for the prices apple will likely charge for a TV set.

I have owned three TVs in the last 3 decades, and am just looking at treating myself to a 4th, i know people who are on there 2nd TV set, ever.

My TVs were, a portable TV and shared use of the family TV, then i moved out and got a shiney widescreen 28"CRT, and upgraded that to a "massive 32" 1080i (yes i, not p) TV set, im now looking at jumping to a 50+ inch 1080p passive 3D screen.. and then ill look at super HD in a decades time..

Apples quick turnover of devices does not sit well in the consumer TV world,

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

That's pretty much been Apple's strength for the last several years - entering established markets which were commoditized with low margins and with established players; getting purchasers to accept higher prices than they're typically used to, and succeeding/dominating.

I think there's enormous scope for Apple to innovate with a TV. If you make the TV the "hub" rather than an AV receiver or HDMI switch, you can control everything via one tap on the remote (or iPad Remote / TV Guide App), plus have improved picture-in-picture abilities. I'm sick of it taking to lug 3 or 4 remotes around with me, and it taking 4/5 button clicks every time to switch between TV and games console. Flick through listings on the iPad rather than endless, slow flicking through channels on your cable/sat box.

However, while there's vast potential there, I don't think Apple is the company to do it. Their plan is to get people walled into their ecosystem sourcing their content from iTunes (or at least hosted in iCloud), and I'm not sure how readily people will accept that.

Apple (like many companies) are just too interested in USPs and not interested enough in inter-operability. Great for the bottom line, not so good for the end-user.

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
The report notes that Apple has been testing television set prototypes for a number of years and that the company tests many different prototype products that never come to market, making clear that a launch is not imminent and that Apple could ultimately scrap its plans.

Article Link: Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'

Not likely. If they have been testing for this long, they won't scrap plans. They will continue to work on and evolve the designs according to the market, or where they think it is going. When the timing and their design direction is right they will push the make button. Could be a year, could be several. Regardless, its a matter of when, not if.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I love that TV makers are trying to beat Apple to the punch with shoddy UI's, wonky voice control and terrible "app" support.

Apple will do something cool and everyone will copy and say it was obvious...what isn't obvious when someone does it first?

That is really scary.
So companies that do things before Apple are copying them before hand?
The first thing that comes to mind is walking, talking, insane, hipster minion pod people.
The RDF didn't die with Steve.

----------

for good reason to scrap it

it will be a very niche project.

500$ for a phone - yes.

500$ for a tablet - yes.

$2000 for a tv - no.

will anyone here tell me what would be so compelling to buy a $2000+ tv?

The :apple: logo will sell millions of them.
The faithful won't be able to resist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.