Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple The Oaks Reopens Next Weekend, CambridgeSide Next Up for Renovations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that its The Oaks retail location in Thousand Oaks, California reopens this Saturday, August 27 at 10:00 a.m. local time. The location, which first opened on October 29, 2005, has been closed for renovations since March. The renovated space is expected to have a Jony Ive-inspired next-generation design and double the square footage within the shopping mall.

Apple The Oaks, opened on October 29, 2005, prior to renovations

Meanwhile, Apple's retail location at the CambridgeSide Galleria shopping mall in Cambridge, a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, will close for renovations one day later on Sunday, August 28. During the closure, Apple recommends that customers visit the nearby Apple Boylston Street or Apple Chestnut Hill locations. The closure is presumably to allow for similar next-generation design updates.

Apple CambridgeSide, opened on December 15, 2001, prior to renovations

Apple is in the process of renovating several of its retail locations in the U.S. and around the world. The new layout includes a combination of The Avenue, Genius Grove, The Forum, The Plaza, and The Boardroom. All new locations since around mid 2015 have been based on the new design language, including the flagship Apple Union Square. Apple now has over 30 retail locations based on the new design language.

A list of next-generation Apple retail locations renovated or opened to date:
Infinite Loop in Cupertino, CA
Apple Union Square in San Francisco, CA
Apple Corte Madera in Corte Madera, CA
Apple Williamsburg in Brooklyn, NY
Apple World Trade Center in New York, NY
Apple Walden Galleria in Buffalo, NY
Apple Crossgates in Albany, NY
Apple Aspen Grove in Littleton, CO
Apple Chestnut Hill in Newton, MA
Apple Derby Street in Hingham, MA
Apple Saddle Creek in Memphis, TN
Apple West County in St. Louis, MO
Apple Annapolis in Annapolis, MD
Apple Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, MO
Apple Sherman Oaks in Sherman Oaks, CA
Apple Brent Cross in London, England
Apple Brussels in Brussels, Belgium
Apple Marseille in Marseille, France
Apple Yas Mall in Abu Dhabi, UAE
Apple Mall of the Emirates in Dubai, UAE
Apple Chaoyang Joy in Beijing, China
Apple MixC Nanning in Nanning, China
Apple MixC Shenyang in Shenyang, China
Apple Xiamen Lifestyle Center in Xiamen, China
Apple Nanjing IST in Nanjing, China
Apple Parc Central in Guangzhou, China
Apple MixC Qingdao in Qingdao, China
Apple Olympia 66 in Dalian, China
Apple Riverside 66 in Tianjin, China
Apple Parc 66 in Jinan, China
Apple Thaihot Plaza in Fuzhou, China
Apple Global Harbor in Shanghai, China
Apple Hopson One in Shanghai, China
Apple Galaxy Mall in Tianjin, China
Apple Galaxy Macau in Macau, China
Apple New Town Plaza in Hong Kong, China
Keep track of new and renovated locations with our Apple Stores roundup.

Article Link: Apple The Oaks Reopens Next Weekend, CambridgeSide Next Up for Renovations

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I'm surprised at how few Apple stores have been renovated. Since the Galleria store is closest to home, I had assumed many had been done by the time they renovated it because Buffalo is a medium sized city.

Comment

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
🇨🇦
I'm surprised at how few Apple stores have been renovated. Since the Galleria store is closest to home, I had assumed many had been done by the time they renovated it because Buffalo is a medium sized city.
Walden Galleria is technically in Cheektowaga, which is even smaller! I remember when that store was closest to me until (1) Apple Mapleview opened and (2) I moved closer to Toronto, which has 4 stores within city limits and another 2 stores in the direct suburbs.

Reactions: Dekema2
Comment

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I'd rather see them renovate the product line. I am more (or less now) drawn to the stores for the products. I might go check out the new stores but I am not going to buy anything simply because the store I am in is awesome.

Comment

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
'Apple The *insert city name*' still sounds incredibly stupid. I mean, why change something as simple as 'Apple Store'. Everybody is already really familiar with that. This new naming scheme doesn't make any sense.

I hate to say it but I think it's an attempt to sound a bit more designer... A bit more chic. Sort of going in line with the direction they have been inching towards with fashionable tie ups on the watch bands (Hermes wasn't it?) and similar.

The hiring of Angela Ahrendts a couple years back sort of points that way.

I am off to go cry in a corner somewhere.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
'Apple The *insert city name*' still sounds incredibly stupid. I mean, why change something as simple as 'Apple Store'. Everybody is already really familiar with that. This new naming scheme doesn't make any sense.

While I agree with you, I think it's probably just one of those things that we'll have to get used to and then it will seem normal. We've just been used to the "Apple Store" nomenclature since, when, 2001? That's 15 years of habit we're all having to break now.

In defense of the name change, the only other retailer in a mall or otherwise I can think of that has the word "Store" in the name is the Disney Store. Perhaps Steve Jobs's ties with Disney were part of the reason he decided to call his stores "Apple Stores". Well, and Microsoft calls their stores "Microsoft Stores" likely just to copy Apple. I bet they drop "Store" from their name within the next year.

Comment

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013
The Apple Store app still calls them Apple Stores:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 94
Comment

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Remember when it was an actual store that you could buy products in? The nice theatre in the back to watch keynotes, do trainings, and watch product videos? Remember the kids area? Remember the actual checkout area?

Those were the days.

Now its all watches for this guy.

Reactions: bernuli
Comment

macpanzer

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Next, they're going to apply similar naming changes to products:

Mac The Book Pro
Mac The Pro
i the Phone

:confused:

Comment

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Come on, "Apple the Oaks" just rolls off the tongue. Rolls, I tell you!
I don't think anyone remembers that Apple used to refer to them the same way like "Apple Rockingham Park" and "Apple North Shore". If you called the store the greeting said "Thank you for calling Apple, North Shore". That was 2001. Apple Store cropped up in like 2004.

Comment

wilef

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
I live near The Oaks, don't really go to the Apple Store very often, but I'm curious enough to check it out this weekend.

Comment

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I hate to say it but I think it's an attempt to sound a bit more designer... A bit more chic. Sort of going in line with the direction they have been inching towards with fashionable tie ups on the watch bands (Hermes wasn't it?) and similar.

The hiring of Angela Ahrendts a couple years back sort of points that way.

I am off to go cry in a corner somewhere.

Seems like they're changing it just for the sake of change.. I mean, why change a name that's 15 years old now. And as someone pointed out, in the previous thread when this name changing topic got posted on the front page, looks like Ahrendts is trying to do something to justify that huge salary she's getting.

They should stop trying to appear super fashionable but rather functional, which means updating your products regularly.

Comment

revolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010

"The Oaks" is the name of the mall. Apple didn't change their naming convention. If you look at the list of renovated locations in the article, the other sites don't use "The" unless it is part of the location.

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Remember when it was an actual store that you could buy products in? The nice theatre in the back to watch keynotes, do trainings, and watch product videos? Remember the kids area? Remember the actual checkout area?

Those were the days.

Now its all watches for this guy.

The Ahrendts Affect.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.