Apple thinks their users are idiots (I guess)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by X-X, Sep 26, 2014.

1. X-X macrumors 6502

Wow this 9to5mac story is unbelievable.

Apple is advertising that for the protection of their users, they provide a revolutionary new feature with iOS 8 that automatically randomizes your iPhone's MAC address so nobody can track you.

BUT the requirements are

- iPhone must be locked
    - Location services must be disabled
    - There can't be a SIM card in the iPhone

:D:D:D

[​IMG]

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-...ndomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

sigh..well what do u expect it to do change the mac randomly when ur using it? how would the router ur on keep connection without dropping u off constantly? for those with organized networks like me using static ips, thats a problem if the device constantly has a different mac so randomly changing while not in use makes sence.

the location needs to be disabled & no sim i dont know about but i dont believe that unless i see it from apple but even if thats true, in the end its either no change since..forever all the previous ios versions, or slightly more security so its not like its making it worse vs what it was for years..:rolleyes:

3. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

Yun0: You can't be serious. You can't be a real person. Right?

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think you are confusing the issue. The whole point is to randomize the MAC address when it is scanning for networks. It has nothing to do with connecting to the networks as the MAC addressed used for that would be the actual MAC address. The reason this is being done is so your phone can't be tracked by wifi networks. However, it seems Apple hasn't really implemented this feature in a usable way yet. Perhaps they are slowly testing the feature before disabling the restrictions.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

no i am serious, i not human.

greeting human, i am robot. O_O

i was going by what u said, iphone must be locked means u cant be using it, right?

6. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

wrong.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

If true, this is very likely a bug and will be fixed.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, those are based on some testing that a single outfit did, not on any actual information from Apple or any more sources. Findings might not be right for one reason or another, something else might be in play, etc. That's not to say they are wrong, but it is to say that simply going based off of that one test isn't necessarily having a complete picture of it all enough to truly make specific and final judgement calls one way or another.

----------

And, yes, can very well be something like that as well.