Apple Threatens Legal Action Over Upcoming Steve Jobs Figurine

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Telegraph reports that Apple has threatened legal action against Hong Kong company In Icons, which has been taking pre-orders for a realistic-looking Steve Jobs figurine set to launch next month. The 12-inch figurine, which is being sold for $99.99 plus shipping, is a posable, highly-detailed reproduction of Jobs' likeness wearing his signature black mock turtleneck, blue jeans, and New Balance sneakers.
    [​IMG]

Personality rights in the United States are addressed on a state-by-state basis, with California's laws covering unauthorized usage of a person's likeness, voice, or signature throughout their lifetime and for a period of 70 years following their death.

Article Link: Apple Threatens Legal Action Over Upcoming Steve Jobs Figurine

2. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Everybody knew this legal action was coming once the figurine was announced

4. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Soon Apple will be suing people who call their kids Steve or calling employment websites job websites.

5. Chopper9 macrumors regular

Chopper9

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I'm no lawyer. But I can't see how Apple can claim to "Own" the likeness of it's sadly deceased founder. Tasteless? for sure, but if people buy it, then I guess that's life.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....Kind of creepy.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Does this mean that it cannot be sold in the State of California?
    I don't believe California law applies outside California.

Either way, the wrists of the SJ doll look messed up. Even the cheapest Barbie doll rip off has much nicer jointing points.

8. xnu macrumors 6502

xnu

Huh

It is a pretty good doll, I mean as far as the likeness....

9. 576316 macrumors 601

So, Apple are now claiming to own Steve Jobs' face?

Okay, sure thing, Apple.

10. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Wow from the corner of my eye I thought I was looking at the front cover of the bio.

Looks amazing, but too creepy to buy.

11. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Apple, wipe your tears with a few hundred million 1000 dollar bills and chill.

12. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Jeeze, is there anything Apple doesn't threaten legal action on these days? This company has gotten a bit rediculous lately, their lawyers probably work harder than their design engineers do!

13. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

So Apple owns the rights to what Steve Jobs looked like? That's insane!

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Which proves to us that there's a business opportunity in every direction we look. :D

15. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Actually who does own his image rights? Actors have control over use of their names and image, so wouldn't Steve Jobs estate own his?

16. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hes holding the phone wrong!

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Considering that the site says final product might differ, this would be a good thing.

Probably, but they can assign anything to any lawyer (such as that of Apple's)

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh Apple. :rolleyes:

I wish they'd give this perpetual lawsuit fever a rest.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I recall a segment on either Nightline or 60 Minutes about this law. I believe it was after Michael Jackson's passing.

Not moe enough...

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not as ridiculous as spelling the word "rediculous". Any company that doesn't aggressively attempt to protect its IP risks losing it.

21. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5127c Safari/7534.48.3)

I though the figure looked more like Ben Kingsly in a number of shots but generally impressive.

To the person complaining about the wrist joints, you realise you can change the hands? Seething which I believe you can't do with Barbie.

22. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I have to agree. I don't claim to be an expert of CEO-Corporation law, but it seems really weird that a company would have the rights to have any say on this matter.

I mean, Steve was also a board member of Disney... What is Disney was in favor of the figurine?

Really, this kind of thing should be in the realm of Steve's estate (i.e. his family). They should have the say on whether or not the figure goes forward or not, and they should get a cut of the profits if it does.

23. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

And in this case those IP rights would be… which ones exactly?
    :confused: