Apple Thunderbolt Display AppleCare Warranty

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flynz4, Dec 25, 2011.

1. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I know that if you purchase an ATD at the same time as a computer, then it is covered by the warranty of that computer. Does it have to be on the same receipt... or can it be within some period of time "close to" the purchase date of the computer.

I bought a 27" iMac for my daughter for Christmas, along with an AppleCare contract. Now I am thinking of buying a ATD for use by the family (we all have MBAs... and eventually they will all be TB capable).

The iMac was purchased on 11/25 (black Friday) online, delivered on 11/30, and gifted today. If I was to order an ATD tomorrow, would it be covered by the iMac AppleCare contract?

I tried calling Apple Online store, but they are closed today. I will check with them tomorrow, but maybe someone here knows as well.

If it is covered, I think I'll buy one now. Otherwise, I'll wait till I buy my next computer. I'll be getting the 2012 iMac and MBA, so I would get the ATD with whichever is released first.

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

2. simsaladimbamba

It will not be covered, especially since the two purchases are separate.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_English_NA_v5.4.pdf
    If bought separately, there is a separate AppleCare agreement for Displays.

Apple Display - AppleCare Protection Plan

4. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks.

I should have thought about this earlier, but it's not a big deal for me to wait. I buy myself a new MBA on every release... and then pass my 1 year old model down through my various family members. Doing this keeps my habit fed... and everyone else seems delighted to get upgraded to a 1 year old machine every few years when it's their turn.

In 2012 I'll also be replacing my iMac... so I have two opportunities to buy the ATD and have it covered.

/Jim

5. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Update:

I called Apple today and they took good care of me. :)

Given that the original iMac purchase is within the "extended holiday return" period... my order was still available to be edited. They added the 27" Thunderbolt Display to my original order. The ATD was ordered today, but shows up as being ordered on Nov 25th (same date as the iMac) on the exact same order, but with a delayed shipment date. The AppleCare folks confirmed that it will now be covered by the AppleCare contract of my daughter's new iMac.

/Jim

6. TjeuV macrumors 6502

wow nice, didn't expect that to happen. It's Apple saying merry Christmas to you!

7. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

:)
    I was quite pleased with the way they did whatever it took to make this work!

/Jim

8. nydennis macrumors regular

Great job on getting it backdated.

On a side note. If you go through the education store the cost of the AppleCare is only 79.99. I am an educator, but what is to stop anyone else online from ordering through that route? I ordered and was never asked anything other than the school district I worked for?

9. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

The education discount is for educators, students, or parents buying for students. Last year at the local Apple store, I was buying an iMac for my daughter. I needed to show their student ID and my drivers license. They told me that since our last names are the same, they could honor the student discount. That was good because I had to sneak my daughter's student ID away from her as I was buying her an iMac for Christmas.

This Christmas (black friday), in buying my other daughter's iMac online, I was never asked for verification. I guess it comes down to ethics.

My employer has an EPP deal with Apple... which is about the same as the student plan. I use that for personal purchases.

/Jim