Apple Thunderbolt display first impressions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Sep 22, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Finally got my display yesterday. This is a second large display as I need one for work and one for home. I also have a 30" HP 3065. Compared to the HP, the following things are most striking:

1) I'm amazed by how much I notice the difference in screen size, be it only 15% in the vertical in terms of number of pixels. This might have to do with the fact that I tend to have most of my work intensive windows (Terminal, plots, etc) in the bottom 50% or so of the HP, so a lot is missing in that sense.

2) It's too bad the display doesn't have height adjustment. My natural working posture is such that my eyes follow the area starting at just a few (maybe 10?) degrees above my keyboard/hands. I can't do that with the TB display.

3) Glaring reflections! Last night I didn't notice, but now that the room is brightly lit, it is quite noticeable, though doesn't hit the threshold for being unbearable.

4) Bezel. I couldn't care less for the enormous black bezel. I guess I just don't get the design choice. If it's supposed to act as a frame for images, having it be a centimeter thick is enough for my taste.

5) Colors are cool in comparison to the HP. Doesn't bother me for work work, but for looking at images I favor the HP. Perhaps this can be improved on the Apple (?).

6) It looks MUCH prettier than the HP from the side, but from the front reason 4) above simply turns me personally off.

This is not supposed to be a negative review, just summarizing my personal impressions. It's a nice monitor, however IMHO it could be nicer.

Overall, I'm actually considering replacing it, but will give it 2 weeks. I really need a TB hub to attach Gbit ethernet and a TB external drive to my Air, so Apple is smart to not sell such a hub separately -- for me it would be a no-brainer to go with a TB hub and another 30" monitor that has more vertical space, height-adjustment, no glare and a thinner bezel. I'm all for practical design and with this product, as pretty as it is, Apple has IMHO not met the criteria for it. I personally just don't understand some of Apple's recent design decisions.

2. KScottMyers, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

KScottMyers macrumors regular

Good input macbook123.

I picked one up yesterday and had a few hrs to put it through its paces. Overall impressions...

• The simplicity of plugging in one cable to the computer for video, sound, camera, usb, firewire and ethernet is just killer. Well worth the wait.

• I've never seen a monitor with such beautiful design esthetics. I work at an advertising studio and have tried many displays of various brands. IMHO nothing comes close. Simple clean design - no power button, no power indicator... clean.

• Love having the MagSafe power cable for a MacBook.

• By using glass, edge to edge with a black border - it provides a nice neutral area for your eyes between the screen and anything around it.

• The screen is bright - very white and the image quality is like nothing I've ever seen on a monitor.

• Glare - Its what you get with a glass panel.

Wishes
    • Wish I could hook more than one computer to the display
    • Wish I could hook up a non-TB Mac or PC

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

Fist thing I did is buy another stand for it. I think the non-adjustable one that Apple has on it is rather pitiful.

Note: have fun putting a Vesa stand on it. It's a real bear (but not too bad). Actually, I came close to really screwing up the the whole thing, as you have to crank the existing bracket until it 'completely' recedes into the case (it's a weird arrangement , but typical with Apple to make things very tight). I initially didn't crank it far enough as it's took a lot of effort, and it didn't line up exactly. If I had attempted to install it that way it would have been a disaster. It's was a bit tricky for me (but then i'm an idiot) :)

4. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

Most encouraging - thank you guys. I can't wait to get my hands on one - maybe Monday.

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I think Apple's recent design shift is largely reflected in their increasing focus on the more amateur/non-pro market.

Thanks for your comments regarding the ATD.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Apple displays have looked exactly like this for years now, it's nothing new. Basically all your complaints could have been avoided if you'd done the tiniest bit of research before your purchase - lack of height adjustment, extreme glossiness, bezel width - all of those are well-known and oft-mentioned or easily spotted in online images.

Your issue with the cool colors can probably be remedied by calibrating the display, or possibly by selecting a (different) color profile in OSX.

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

No need to resort to false accusations. I knew all those things very well, but not how much they mattered to me in practice. Hence my post.

Thank you. I am hoping to figure this out soon. Recommendations for color profiles are welcome.

8. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reviews guys, being able to adjust your monitor is nice but it may remove from the aesthetics. :/

9. JulesK macrumors 6502

Height adjustment would be nice

As someone who wear bifocals, it would be nice if there were some height adjustment to these displays.