Apple Thunderbolt Display & MacBook Pro Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I' m really interested to buy an Apple Thunderbolt Display for my Early 2011 MBP 17".

I' ve saw that there isn' t a topic with the Thunderbolt Display owner impression about this wonderful model

I was an owner of 27" iMac with yellow tint problem and I wan' t to know the impression of the Thunderbol display owner about the monitor quality itself and also I' m interested to know how it works with the MBP (opened and closed). Thanks!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the 27" Displayport Model and it works great, in clamshell (closed lid mode) as well. I suspect the 27" Thunderbolt model would be similar.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if u really want to spend 1000 dollars on a monitor go for it lol

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

That monitor is a lot lower resolution than the Apple display though

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Agree. Nothing can compare with Apple. However, they are expensive. I guess you get what you paid for :D
    Like quaility and after service :)

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It's more of a superdock with a splendid screen than a plain old monitor.

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

You would also be getting 50% fewer pixels (1920x1080 vs 2560x1440), much narrower viewing angle (178 vs about 100), much fewer colors (16.7 million vs 262,144), and lose webcam, speakers, 3 USB, 1 FireWire, 1 Ethernet, 1 thunderbolt ports, and MagSafe charging.

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Well, that's not entirely true. You can get good (very good) displays from Dell, HP, or even NEC (for a bit more), but all of the 27" IPS displays with such a resolution (2560 x 1440) are going to have a price tag of $1000+, which is something that people fail to realize. Apple is not overcharging for the Thunderbolt display at all.

10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I just got one w/ my 17" 2011 MBP and it's the ultimate docking station, as advertised. Desktop at home, laptop on the road, being the same machine. Best of both worlds.

FYI, the Dell U2711, a comparable monitor is $815 from a couple companies on eBay. That would be the best alternative.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I purchased an ATD yesterday for my iMac 27", but I like the fact I can also use it with my 13" MBP as a monitor and docking station.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is a great monitor, and, a reasonable value, except for one thing :(

13. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

For a 2011 MacBook pro owner the ATD is the best solution: wonderful monitor and a really great advantage to have only 1 cable connected to the computer for all your device. I can also to leave the MacBook power adapter in the computer bag. This is really important!

14. ethana macrumors 6502a

Awesome setup I have (MBP 15'' + two Thunderbolt displays downstairs and one on my middle floor) but here are my gripes, just so future owners know:

1. Audio. The audio on the monitors is like that of the iMac. Mediocre at best. The crappy thing is that there is no Audio Out jack on the monitor. Why they didn't include one is beyond me. I have to plug my external speakers into my MBA when I dock, which makes it three cords for me now (Power, TB, Audio). The solution to this would be to buy a USB sound card (http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go-Pro/M/B0044DEDC0.htm) but then I'd have to switch to that card in the Audio settings when I plug it in... maybe I can do this and make an AppleScript for it?

2. Docking. In order to dock a closed MacBook Pro 2011 you need to plug in the cords, open the MBP out of sleep, then when you see it display on the TB display then you can close your MBP. Stupid. I wish I could just plug the cords in while it's closed and the MBP could recognize that I plugged into a TB display automatically and show it on the screen. Opening and closing is a hassle.

3. Screen resolution differences. The MBP has a different screen resolution than the TB display. That means my icons are all over the place when I dock and undock, and the size of my dock is different, my windows are in different locations, etc. Is there any solution to this?

Just my thoughts so far. The pros of the setup far outweigh the cons though.

Ethan

15. ethana macrumors 6502a

Found another issue that bugs me...

4. USB device recharging. If I plug in my iPhone any USB port on the TB display (or on the keyboard connected to the TB, for that matter) it will charge the phone just fine.... if the MBP is not in any kind of power saving mode. As soon as the display turns off to save power after being away for a few minutes, charging of my devices also stops. This is going to force me to buy a powered USB hub to connect my devices to in order to keep them powering. Lame.