Apple Thunderbolt display question?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doingitlive, May 13, 2013.

1. doingitlive macrumors member

About 3 months ago I purchased a new Apple TB display to use with my late 2011 Macbook pro. Everything works well but I have decided that I am going to sell my MBP in a few months and build a gaming rig . Now I know you cant use the TB display without another TB device but does anyone know if any hardware peripheral designers out there are making a device I can buy to use my TB display with with a DVI , mini display , or HDMI out. Im probably gonna get a GTX 690 or 2 680's with SLI and none of them support TB atm. Should I just sell the display or holdout for some kind of adapter? Thanks

Nik:apple:

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I'd sell it... or swap with someone who has a 27" ACD and would like to move to an ATD.

/Jim

3. azahar macrumors newbie

azahar

A quick search on Amazon shows some of the new motherboards from Intel/Gigabyte/Asus now have at least one Thunderbolt interface. Are these good enough for a gaming rig?

4. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Good point. You'll also have to read up on the specific motherboard and TB drivers because I read an article a few months back on connecting a TB display to the new TB PC motherboards and they do not work plug and play. But there are TB drivers out there, just not Apple approved, that work fine. The article might have been on CNET, not sure, it was too long ago to remember. Maybe also do a search on Newegg for TB in the reviews of those motherboards and it might be of some help.

5. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have read about these TB motherboards, but wouldn't I need to have video coming directly from the Video card to have the best picture?

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

On AnandTech was a video about that. MSI board, ATD, Lacie drives, dedicated GPU etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajA0TylSoXo

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Excellent. Did I hear him correctly, that the GPU runs 3D games through TB despite it being connected to the on board graphics? He didn't have the GPU hooked up directly to any output so I assume it is actually working through the system bus. Amazing.

8. tanker5 macrumors member

Apple TB display will NOT work with a non-Apple computer

Yes, there are more than a handful of thunderbolt mother boards on the market now. Gigabyte, Asus, and many other manufacturers all have integrated TB support into their upper and upper-mid range motherboards. I've used the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH in a recent hackintosh build. With everything up and running, the Thunderbolt display still would not display video or produce audio through the thunderbolt port. I'm not sure why the TB display does not recognize the hackintosh running 10.8.3, as this is not my area of expertise. But after many tries, it still will not work. The thunderbolt display will also not work with a thunderbolt PC running windows.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get video and audio to come through on a thunderbolt display from a non-Apple computer (running either OS X or Windows), please comment.

9. pwfletcher macrumors regular

10. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

ASRock, MSI, and ASUS and releasing TB capable motherboards so I think Ill hold onto my TB Display a bit longer. Plus Microsoft is finally working on new plug and play drivers for the TB platform. Give it a year or so and TB wil be standard on all computers, what else can give you 10 GB's down and 10 GB's upload. :apple:

P.S. - Cant wait for Haswell , just 2 more weeks!!!!

11. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

so stupid question, thunderbolt is compatible with mini-display, but not the other way around?

12. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

basically the TB and mini display port cable look the same but TB devices can only connect with other TB devices. Its pretty confusing for a novice computer user, thats why the apple store is always full, lol:D