Apple Thunderbolt Display vs Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cberry240, May 21, 2015.

1. cberry240 macrumors member

Hi–

I'm in the market for a display and have been researching quite a bit and have narrow down to the Apple Thunderbolt Display vs Eizo FlexScan EV2736W. They seem fairly comparable at the ~$1000 price range.

I currently use a ATD at work and am quite happy with it aside from the glossy finish. What I like about the Eizo (as well as the height, swivel and orientation adjustments).

I'm wondering if anyone has hands on experience with the Eizo FlexScan EV2736W. I don't have a retailer closer to check one out first hand.

2. ShawnF macrumors regular

I have the 24-inch version (EV2436W) which is practically a smaller panel. Depends on your application - the Eizo have really good Delta E scores and very uniform lighting, and very good black levels for a PLS screen. I personally use it for photo editing and videography because it has 100% sRGB coverage out of the box; you don't even need to calibrate it.

My 24-inch tilts, pivots and rotates. Rotation is not automated like some monitors - the higher end Eizos I believe have this feature. And all Eizos have awesome 5 year guarantees with great pixel defect policy - I am into my third year now and no issues at all.

That said, the built-in speakers suck and I lament the lack of USB 3.0 ports and the 2 UBS 2.0 are of limited use. The panels is ok for gaming but will never compete with those 120hz TN gaming panels - very different application.

Through review here: Eizo EV2736W

Hope that helps