Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Boeing747, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Boeing747 macrumors member

What justifies the price of $999 for the apple thunderbolt display?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The size, Thunderbolt, MagSafe, and the other ports on the back of the display.

3. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

Many 27" monitors are $300. For magsafe you can just plug it into the wall socket like normal. The other ports are usb ports and I can get a usb port expander for $20.

Thunderbolt is okay but does not justify that kind of money.

I meant something specific like with the quality of screen of color correction/good color.

Those things you listed are not worth the extra $700-$750

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The other ports are USB, Firewire 800, and 1Gb Ethernet. All from Thunderbolt. It takes more internal parts to make the Tunderbolt to other port transition work. It also has a 2.1 speaker setup and a FaceTime HD camera.

Some say the LCD panel is of better quality than those sold else where.

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

What justifies the $999 price is the panel. Most 27" displays you'll find run at 1920x1080, use CCFL backlights, and use a TN panel. The 27" Thunderbolt Display runs at 2560x1440, use LED backlighting, and it has an S-IPS panel.

For comparison, look at Dell's U2711, it's priced at ~$825, but has CCFL backlighting. For the $175 more for the Thunderbolt display, you get LED backlighting, and thunderbolt.

6. DerApfel macrumors newbie

Since I plan on getting the Thunderbolt Display and a new 11-inch MacBook Air in September or October I've given the prices and features a lot of thought.

I'm assuming that the quality of the display is beyond superb as Apple products (in general) tend to be. I doubt this reason alone is a good one for you to spend the extra money on this particular display, though.

The usefulness depends on what you want to use it for. If you have (or plan on purchasing) a recently updated Mac with Thunderbolt capabilities, then the Thunderbolt Display becomes really cool. For the 11-inch MBA that I plan on getting it will act as a sort of "dock." The all-in-one cord on the display can charge the MBA and connect it via Thunderbolt so I can utilize the 27-inch screen when I'm not on the go.

Since I'm a college student it'll be perfect. I only need an ethernet port when I'm in my dorm room (no wireless) so hooking it up to the display will give me access to that ethernet port (and all of the other ports) so I don't have to bother with that annoying dongle. Then when I need to head out I can toss my MBA in my backpack and be off. This is all without mentioning being able to use the FaceTimeHD and audio when my MBA is docked in my room.

If none of that is useful to you, then go for that $300 27" display and be done with it.

7. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

What is a TN panel and what exactly is S-IPS? Is there a big difference? Also, what is the difference between CCFL(What's CCFL anyway?) backlight and LED backlights.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TN panels are of lesser visual quality using older technology. It has to do with how the colours of the pixels are made. S-IPS is currently the best way to make pixels show different colours and it has darker blacks. It is also clearer and faster responding. Example, the iPhone 4 has an S-IPS panel, while the iPod Touch 4 has a TN panel. If you look at the two side by side, you'll see a noticeable difference.

CCFL are just like the fluorescent light tubes that light most mega stores. They have a downside in terms of life and they take a while to reach their target brightness. LED backlights have a much longer lifespan then CCFL lights and they reach their target brightness within a few milliseconds.

10. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

@Boeing747

Intell basically described the differences perfectly. At the end of the day, a $300 Asus 27" Display is a Buick - it's really nice, it looks decent, and it's priced well enough. But the 27" Thunderbolt display is a Mercedes S Class. It's still priced well for what it is, it's BEAUTIFUL, and it comes with all the cutting edge tech anyone would want.

11. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks for your help guys I think I'll get it now. MR is great :)