Apple Time Capsule as wireless harddrive only, not as router

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flowdesigner, Oct 15, 2010.

1. flowdesigner macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a terabyte Time Capsule to take care of backups and files with my new Macbook pro, without me thinking about this stuff at all anymore, that is the Time Capsule concept, right?
    When I try to set up Time Machine it asks wether I want Time Capsule to work as wireless internet router. Where Im living at the moment, I am connected to a wireless internet system, but I dont have access to the router, or access to use Time Capsule as internet router either, I want to maintain using the wireless internet, and Time Capsule as wireless hard drive only.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks for your time :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When setting it up with AirPort Utility, it asks if you want to use it as router. Just select no and it will just act as wireless HD (NAS). I don't have one but I've set up few of them and I think you don't have to use it as a router if you don't want to.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

When you go through the the airport setup of the TM it will ask you how you want to use it and that is one of the options. i currently have 2 TM and both are as hard drive only.

4. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks!

So I can ignore everything regarding connecting to my current wireless setup?

I think I may have done something wrong when installing, because I thought it would be very simple, plug and play.

I try again and shout out if anything goes wrong. Im no computer hacker guy at all :eek:

--------

should I not switch wireless network?

--------

Some other guy is saying :

your computer's wireless can't connect to two independent wireless access points at the same time, so you would have to manually change networks when you want to do a backup.

Is this right?

--------

Now it cant find it anymore, even though it is 20cm from the computer.

Steve Jobs need to take a look at this matter. This is not plug and play

5. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think you're setting this up right. Assuming you already have a wireless router, you should be able to set it up to join the existing wireless network. It'll act just like another computer on the same wireless network (only it won't be, it'll be a network drive.)

Really though, it's meant to run as a wireless access point, and is probably a better wireless access point than the one you have now.

6. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a access point? Did you read my initial post?

Thanks for helping me out

7. neteng101 macrumors 65816

What you really need want it to have your Time Capsule join the wireless network as another wireless client. You probably aren't intending it to extend the range of the network however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3EdbRfX1_w

Gives you some idea of what you'll need to do, though it can be a bit different on the Time Capsule screens.

Note - both your Time Capsule and your Mac will then be on a shared wireless network (is it a building wide freebie?) - so other people on the same network can try to connect to your Time Capsule.

8. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

Can I somehow use my Time Capsule as a (expensive) regular non-wireless harddrive, connected to my macbook pro?

9. perfectshadows macrumors member

How do I use my timecapsule as a NAS?

it does my back ups and its also connected to my router as it has faster N wireless and deals with the whole houses's wireless requirements.

But now I have an SSD and i don't want to do an optibay conversion due to apple warrenties etc...

I want to use the timecapsule as a NAS and store all music and video on it, but i want the music still to work the same way it does now in itunes and allow me to sync it with iPad and iPhone is that possible?

10. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I have to send data from my laptop, to my router, then to time capsule, or can I send data directly?

11. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I avoid the time capsule to send wireless stuff into the air at all?
    Its located in my sleeping room, and I have a lot of wireless stuff going through the air already.
    My mother is actually a bit oversensitive to wireless stuff, so maybe I need to be a bit careful as well, if im genetically disponible

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

then pull the plug to shut it off

13. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Are you being serious? She can actually feel if there are more wireless devices in the air? :confused::confused::apple: