Apple time capsule, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by to1986, Jan 18, 2010.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

Was thinking about purchasing a time capsule, but Its a lot more expensive than alternative external hard drives. is it worth the extra money? What do people think?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is a large group of users who have found that the device fails, particularly near the 18-month mark.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It all depends if you don't mind having an extra enclosure (BOX) for your drive. Some people like to have an all in one setup, others don't care.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Really like mine, i think i accidentaly blew it up last may by pulling the cord be accident, and it shorted. But the knowledge that there is a constant back up of my mac is so reassuring. Im not sure if i would go the APE and HDD route, if i were to buy another one, its so convenient as it is.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not worth it IMO at this current point in time until apple fixes the rediculous problem with all TCs.

my advice for now, go with an airport extreme base station and use an external USB HDD. the ABES uses an external PSU, TC uses an internal PSU and thats where the problems begin.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

No, it's not worth it. As a previous poster noted, the TC fails around the 18 month mark. My TC failed earlier this week. The lack of ventilation causes the power supply to overheat and failing. While there have been numerous posts on how to fix (most notably replacing three caps in the power supply) the faily ps, it's not worth shelling out 300-500 for a device that's prone to fail.

I'd wait until Apple remedies the current issue by adding more ventilation.

Sorry to burst your TC bubble, but this is a faulty device.

Habitus :apple:

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if the OP is game, he could always rip off the bottom rubber casing and replace it with foam - this allows for great ventilation :D i doubt it would fail after that.

8. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses. Its not a big deal, its not like I NEED a time capsule. As always apple's advertising just made me want it! A standard USB HDD will do me fine, but not sure what to get. As shocking as it is, I have never used an external HDD before! Im not looking for anything fancy, just a fairly cheap 1/2 TB one that is RELIABLE! Any advice on what to get would be appreciated.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha i know what you mean, they get you with it ;).

i would highly recommend western digital external HDDs. the cases are sturdy and ive never had a problem with mine.

i would NOT recommend la cie. anything but those guys!

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Please note, that people here are responding to the prior generation Time Capsules. The third generation only came out in October. Hardly enough time to put it through its paces and prove its longevity. If you're still unsure, I can at least vouch for mine. I have owned every generation of the Time Capsule and have never kept one long enough to see any possible failure. But since I've had the new Time capsule, I can already tell you that it has seen many improvements over its past iterations. Not only does it back up drives faster, as reported, but the drive is much more quieter and runs much more cooler, all to which I would logically equate to a more stable and longer lasting model. And I'm not exaggerating either. I hardly tell the Time Capsule is running anymore and it doesn't cook eggs like it used to.

So I'm going to go against the crowd and say that I think my Time Capsule is absolutely worth it. Can you get more for paying less by buying third party products? Certainly. But you sacrifice the streamlined, all-in-one design. It's all up to you what you like. If you value Apple design, and desire less clutter and devices, then I would recommend this current generation Time Capsule. I absolutely prefer having everything simplified in one box so I couldn't be happier. No one here can say with absolute certainty that these new drives will fail in approximately 18 months, simply because this model isn't even that old yet. Only time will tell if the new TC will outlive its predecessors, but I'm pretty confident that this generation fixes many of the issues that have plagued the ones before it, and this would definitely be the generation to consider buying.

Hope that helps.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting. dont get me wrong, i have absolutely no hate for the functionality of the TC. i absolutely adored mine when it was working!

its good that it runs cooler, i sure hope that they indeed updated the PSU in there.

do you have any evidence to suggest that they are using different PSUs? or that the cooling is much more efficient? (apart from not being able to hear it of course ;)). we need somebody to open it up and have a looksi.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sorry, no I don't have any technical info on the innards of it. All i know is what I've observed so far :)

Seriously, its super quiet and much cooler though. That can only mean good things. I'm pretty sure Apple was aware of the TC's issues, so I don't think they mean to do a repeat.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is great news though! im sure they were aware of the problem, just "didnt recognise it as an issue" (which is what they told me).

im pleased to hear that its cooler though, we were going to get ours fixed and leave the bottom rubber off for better cooling! ha.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

http://timecapsuledead.org/

The main problem is we need to wait another 12 months or so before we know if Apple have fixed the 18 month time bomb!

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Oh yea, no kidding! I know what you mean. I used to have my older TCs elevated with rubber feet because I was so paranoid of how hot it would get, lol.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I don't blame you! I wish I would have done that, it might have helped.

Have you noticed and cosmetic differences between revisions that indicate extra cooling methods or anything? no subtle air vents of sorts?

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nah, it looks absolutely identical.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm righto. so that would indicate that some sort of PSU change has indeed been undertaken. this is good news!