Apple Time Capsule vs. Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fernande-mac, Dec 3, 2009.

1. fernande-mac macrumors regular

My NETGEAR WNR854T died and I am looking for a replacement.

I do a lot of online gaming and HD video streaming, and have several wired and wireless devices in the home network. I also have been thinking of getting a shared backup hard drive.

I started looking at the NETGEAR WNDR3700 unit, but there are a lot of people complaining about dropped connections. So, I am now looking for an Apple Airport Extreme.

During my research, I found also the Apple Time Capsule. Is there any advantage to getting the Time Capsule? Or should the Airport Extreme be better by adding any external hard drive to the USB port?

Also, is model number MC340LL/A the correct one for the Apple Airport Extreme?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

its probably a cheaper route to go with a AEBS and add your own Ext Hard Drive. The TC are for those who want a hard drive and a router in one.

3. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

4. dmm219 macrumors 6502

While I agree with the above comments, I'll say I have a TC for the simple ease of use of backing up both my macbooks wirelessly.

From what I've read, there is extensive problems backing up wireless with an AEBS and an external HD.

Have these issues all been fixed? I've never had one problem with my TC. In fact I just did a complete restore on a macbook with a new hard drive, wireless off of the TC and it worked like a charm.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've been using Time Machine with my AEBS & external HD for a year now and haven't had any problems.

The stories about dying Time Capsules are real though. It even has it's own website...

http://timecapsuledead.org/