Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Hi guys, I'm new on buying a Time Capsule. I was looking at amazon and they have a good price and only have 13 left in stock. I was curious you think Apple is getting ready to release a new Time Capsule? I know its just our guess but does anybody know any rumors or info on it? Do you guys think I should hate a bit longer and see?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hi guys, I'm new on buying a Time Capsule. I was looking at amazon and they have a good price and only have 13 left in stock. I was curious you think Apple is getting ready to release a new Time Capsule? I know its just our guess but does anybody know any rumors or info on it? Do you guys think I should hate a bit longer and see?

Just bought one, works great. The minimum size is up to 1TB, so I'm not sure what you would need an "updated" Time Capsule to do that this one doesn't already do. If you need one buy it.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, the current model is available with up to a 3TB drive. 4TB drives are virtually unheard of at the moment, and there are no major advances to wifi technology on the immediate horizon. I'd say it's a safe buy right now.

.Pete.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Current models were updated at the end of January, so no reason to expect a refresh in the immediate future. If you need it, buy it now and enjoy.

jefbond

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
I would highly doubt they will have a refresh soon, Zhenya hit it right on. Good luck finding anything larger than a 3TB HDD that isn't obnoxiously expensive (if at all), and wifi will not change in the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule for a while, either, as there is nothing newer in use at the moment. The only possibility I could think of is the addition of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I would doubt they would do a Thunderbolt upgrade relatively soon from now because there's almost no demand for it. And if they're not upgrading it to be compatible with a Thunderbolt drive, they have no use bothering to update to USB 3.0.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I use a 3TB to backup 3 Macs, and have plenty of space left. It's unlikely that Apple will update the TC anytime soon, so I would say buy a TC that has roughly double the size yoou wish to backup...Then search out the best price. A 2TB model is ample for most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.