Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2023
Wow! I think this is fabulous and it would be great to see Apple become a steward of classical music. I think we are all familiar with the struggles of many orchestras and various companies during these times. An injection of support from the world's largest company is encouraging news.

To me, this is akin to Apple's commitment to preserving and revitalizing the architecture of many of its Apple stores. It's certainly not necessary and one could question the financial return, but it does add to the aura of today's Apple.

Reactions: hanser

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Great news for music lovers everywhere. Apple will probably incinerate the BIS master tape archives as a cost saving measure and store everything as AAC files on a couple of servers.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I wonder what the strategic value of this purchase could be.
This is akin to acquiring Beats; an industry foothold, perhaps not the big boys like Sennhenseier or AudioTechnica, but someone who knows just as much what they are doing. BIS has a very strong catalog and is in general quite respected in the scene.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Great news for music lovers everywhere. Apple will probably incinerate the BIS master tape archives as a cost saving measure and store everything as AAC files on a couple of servers.
Which would be terrible news indeed. Bad news for music lovers everywhere. There is some really terrific recordings from the analog era and it would be a real shame to destroy the tapes. Shame on Apple if they do that.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
BIS do have an interesting (and variable) collection of artists. They were also a pioneer in using high-res DSD recordings. Their early recordings using DSD were simply absolutely outstanding (circa 2000 to 2004) which were released on SACD (Super Audio CD) and are highly sought after by collectors. Then they stopped using high-res DSD and somewhat scandalously reverted to using comparatively low-res 24 bit 48kHz PCM recordings but still released them on SACD as if they were hi-res (which they were not) but still took advantage of the multi-channel capabilities of SACD. In more recent years, they upped their ante a bit by moving generally to 24 bit 96kHz recordings on their SACD releases, but these releases are, in my view and many others, still a pale shadow of their pure DSD recordings of the early 2000s. Hi-res SACD is very popular in the classical space, particularly for hi-res and multichannel classical music, and BIS are one of the larger producers of SACDs in the classical market.

Reactions: Marco Klobas

gumbyhw

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
What is apples obsession with classical music lately!?
It’s the other way around: jobs didn’t care (he preferred Dylan, the Beatles, and his onetime flame Baez). iTunes etc were pretty crappy for non-Boomer music.

now apple wants to cater to a larger segment.

Reactions: arkitect

gumbyhw

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
At first this seemed bizarre to me but then I realised they already own and produce a lot of video, so why not?

gumbyhw

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
It’s like they want to set the stage for a large anti-trust lawsuit. Insert clip of Jobs saying Apple’s problem is it’s unfocused.
I doubt it — if that were likely then Apple TV (the service) would have triggered it.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This isn't a good thing. It says it right there in the article: "exclusive" content. That means that BIS albums will no longer be available on other streaming services and you will need an Apple Music Classical subscription to listen to BIS content.
To be fair "exclusive" could mean just some series of new releases. Still, this kind of thing is very concerning. The last thing we all need is for music streaming to go the way of video streaming, where users have to chase the content they want on multiple platforms...

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
You can still AirPlay from your phone to your sound system via your Apple TV, as a workaround for that strange omission.
AirPlay is garbage for a serious Hifi system, especially for classical music (jazz too). I have a high-end network streamer/DAC on which I stream Qobuz/Roon via ethernet. The crappy sound and flakey reliability of Airplay 2 streamed wirelessly just doesn't cut it for me. I especially don't want my classical music sounding dead and lifeless as a result. I'm sure it's fine for all the overly compressed casualties of the loudness wars, but I'm not having any of it.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
AirPlay is garbage for a serious Hifi system, especially for classical music (jazz too). I have a high-end network streamer/DAC on which I stream Qobuz/Roon via ethernet. The crappy sound and flakey reliability of Airplay 2 streamed wirelessly just doesn't cut it for me. I especially don't want my classical music sounding dead and lifeless as a result. I'm sure it's fine for all the overly compressed casualties of the loudness wars, but I'm not having any of it.
So, streaming directly through the Apple TV is better? Genuinely curious.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Well maybe they are already put into good use because I am on hold with apple support as I type right now and listening to classical music. Lol

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I don't use an AppleTV to stream either. There's just nothing compelling to me about using Apple for music. I have an Intel NUC running Roon's ROCK OS as a music server, and that integrates with Qobuz as a streaming service. I suppose if Apple ever opened up an API to stream their service in hi-rez (i.e. 24/96, etc) via Roon that might be something, but when pigs fly...

Apple is mid-fi at best, IMO.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Isn't this like a huge conflict of interest? Apple owning record labels and also running a music shop. How is this legal?

Reactions: jwalesh96

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2014
Personally I think yes. Apple Music now streams in lossless formats if the option is enabled. Lossless CD quality 44.1KHz 16bit audio is wonderful, unfortunately it is compressed when sent over AirPlay. Anything higher than that is a placebo though, the human ear physically can't detect higher frequencies and you'd need to be listening at deafening volumes to get the benefit of higher dynamic range.

Reactions: ignatius345

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Isn't this like a huge conflict of interest? Apple owning record labels and also running a music shop. How is this legal?

Record labels selling music in a shop isn't new nor is it uncommon. BIS has been doing that for years before being acquired. Their online shop eclassical.com sells music from numerous classical labels. A lot of the other labels (at least jazz and classical) have online shops too.

Why would it be illegal for a label to run a shop for albums?

Reactions: arkitect

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This fight already happened when Apple got into the music business with the iTunes music store. I find it highly unlikely in the settlement Apple didn't make sure stuff like this wouldn't be covered.
That fight was about Apple being able to host music and stream music. I highly doubt Apple Corp would have relented in allowing Apple to actually be a music label during this 'fight'. That fight was back in 2007. I think the lawyers at Apple Corp will be going over the settlement agreement both signed back in 2007.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
To be fair "exclusive" could mean just some series of new releases. Still, this kind of thing is very concerning. The last thing we all need is for music streaming to go the way of video streaming, where users have to chase the content they want on multiple platforms...

I hope that it will continue to be different, given that music streaming platforms for the most part do not produce their own content, which is in contrast to video streaming. But I can imagine a dystopia where Apple has BIS and Naxos, Qobuz has DG and Warner, Tidal has Decca and Chandos, and to listen to them all, you need to have at least three subscriptions.

I would hope that the way people listen to music is different enough from watching video--creating libraries of music they like as opposed to simply browsing to see what's available, and listening repeatedly--to prevent this from happening, but you never know. Right now we're in a situation where people temporarily subscribe to a video streaming service to watch one show. This acquisition could invite a situation where you might temporarily subscribe to Apple Music to hear a new BIS release.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I don't use an AppleTV to stream either. There's just nothing compelling to me about using Apple for music. I have an Intel NUC running Roon's ROCK OS as a music server, and that integrates with Qobuz as a streaming service. I suppose if Apple ever opened up an API to stream their service in hi-rez (i.e. 24/96, etc) via Roon that might be something, but when pigs fly...

Apple is mid-fi at best, IMO.
Yeah, NVM -- I thought I was responding to the poster who was asking about ATV support for Apple Classical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.