Apple to Add Baidu as iPhone Search Option in China

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a rumor from late March claiming that Apple will be adding Baidu as a search engine option on the iPhone in China, Bloomberg reports that Apple will indeed be taking that step, perhaps announcing the addition at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.
While customers will have the option to select Baidu as their main vehicle for searching the Web, Google's product will probably remain the default choice, one person said. At present, users of iPhones and iPads in China can access Baidu search by downloading it separately as an application.

Baidu maintains an 80% share of the search market in China, making it a natural addition for Apple as it seeks to drive overall growth with a focus on the booming consumer market there.

Bloomberg also reiterates claims that Apple will announce next week that it is abandoning Google Maps on iOS in favor of its own mapping solution, but the report offers no other details on the company's plans for the transition.

Article Link: Apple to Add Baidu as iPhone Search Option in China

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Logically expected and Apple is showing again it is doing the Chinese market right. Good sign for AAPL investors. I expect Weibo support to follow next.

Comment

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Logically expected and Apple is showing again it is doing the Chinese market right. Good sign for AAPL investors. I expect Weibo support to follow next.
I agree, this is a phenomenal move on their part, they want that China Mobile and its 600 million subscribers. My 20 shares are banking on it!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.