Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Adopt Carbon Fiber for Lighter MacBook Air?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider claims that Apple has been looking into replacing aluminum parts with carbon fiber parts in an effort to make the MacBook Air even lighter than it presently is.
Apple enthusiastically claimed ownership to the world's thinnest notebook earlier this year with the introduction of the MacBook Air, but is rumored to be unsatisfied with the system's weight, which it now hopes to drop below 3 pounds.
Carbon fiber is described as an extremely lightweight material that is exceptionally strong.

Apple is expected to keep the upper aluminum chasis of the MacBook Air, but may replace the bottom cover with one constructed from carbon fiber. This could trim the notebooks weight from slightly over 3 pounds to 2.78 pounds.

The rumor site believes the shift could happen as early as next year.

Article Link: Apple to Adopt Carbon Fiber for Lighter MacBook Air?

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
That would be pretty sweet looks-wise, especially if they went all out and did the whole case in carbon fiber. Raw carbon fiber is a pretty neat look - that I personally haven't seen before. The lightness/rigidness would be a plus as well.

- Chris

Comment

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Good god apple no!!
Will won't dissipate heat as well and i thought they were determined to make it recyclable - i don't think carbon fibre is very recyclable!

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Wow, it'll make the Air lighter than some netbooks.

I also hope it won't be two-tone. And also hope they'll update the Air to match the other new notebooks, it looks out of place now (like the 17").

Comment

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Its strong but the plastic coating on it cracks fairly easily, and is expensive to replace.
plus theres other factors like heat, how it looks, being able to shape each macbook the same exact way etc.
but its edinately possible

Comment

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Would the loss in heat dissipation be worth the amount of weight lost? I think aluminum is light enough - for now.

Comment

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
It will no doubt have vastly superior Wi-Fi reception...

(my lowly 400 Mhz Pismo's reception still kicks the snot out of the latest MBP, Air, ect)

Edit: just realized the cover (where the antenna resides) will remain aluminum.

Please disregard. ;-)

Comment

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I was just eating cheesypoofs reading this, and I bit my lip.

Rock on! I love the idea! If there's one material that can offer up a more industrial look than Silver metal on Black, it's Silver metal on Black Carbon Fiber.

:D

Comment

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Well, they will need to keep finding innovations to justify the high price. I say bring it on, I was going to buy one next summer anyway!

Comment

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Good god apple no!!
Will won't dissipate heat as well and i thought they were determined to make it recyclable - i don't think carbon fibre is very recyclable!
Actually, most Sony Vaio models are now made out of plastic with a carbon fiber coating, and they dissipate heat as well as anything else. You are correct, though, that neither plastic nor carbon fiber are as easily recyclable as aluminum.

But then again, Apple's push for "going green" will never come before their business strategies, as seen by taking a step backward with the plastic iPhone 3G back.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hmmmm, Carbon Fibre - Now that sounds like a cheap alternative to aluminium!:D

Carbon Fiber, a cheap alternative to Aluminum.... :D

The article makes it clear that the aluminum uni-body isn't going anywhere. They spent a long time developing that, expect to see it for many year to come. This would just be the cover that goes over the bottom battery and RAM slots.

Comment

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
as a petrol head, I'm all in favor of a Carbon Fiber body.

Now, i just need to figure out what color racing stripes I want on my MBA. :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.