MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

FinancialTimes reports that the next Apple iPhone will be sold at "significantly lower prices" than the current one. According to the author, Apple has agreed to allow mobile carriers to subsidize the iPhone:
Apple has bowed to pressure from mobile phone operators and agreed they can subsidise the latest iPhone, expected to be unveiled by Steve Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, on Monday.
The article does not cite specific sources and reports this information as if it were fact. Historically, the Financial Times has been a reliable source of information of Apple rumors. They were the first to report on Apple's movie rental service that debuted at Macworld 2008.

This report may confirm earlier reports that the 3G iPhone would start around $200 after subsidies. It is believed that the iPhone would still cost $399 at Apple Retail stores, but when activated with a 2 year contract at AT&T, the customer would receive a $200 credit or rebate.

Article Link

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
What about existing iPhone/AT&T customers?

EDIT: But then again, when you upgrade any other phone outside your selected upgrade time period - you usually end up paying full retail anyway. So after revisiting, I don't believe there will be any type of subsidy for existing iPhone/AT&T customers. Ah! - the price of bleeding edge technology... :eek:

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
The $200 rebate would be good if you wanted the new iPhone and an iPod nano... :rolleyes: I would like a "free" iPod nano!

JasonK

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Eugene, OR
Good to see apple is considering playing nice with others. They tend to be the bully on the playground these days it seems.

Springer23

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
On the uk News sites today they are, reporting the new phone will be a Free update to existing customers of the iphone, as long as you trade in the original one and sign a new 18 month contract.

And for new customers, free on the higher priced plans, and just £100 on the lower plans, and pay as you for £269!

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
That would certainly make it fit in more as a genuine contender in the UK..pretty much every phone here is subsidised by the carrier.

LoCarbHotrod

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
On the uk News sites today they are, reporting the new phone will be a Free update to existing customers of the iphone, as long as you trade in the original one and sign a new 18 month contract.

And for new customers, free on the higher priced plans, and just £100 on the lower plans, and pay as you for £269!

Get outta town. You're not serious are you?

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Now this is the kind of rumor I like to hear! I made my genius bar appointment at the exact time that the keynote starts so I can get my replacement iPhone and pick up a 3g if its available. Wouldn't the store be closed then if that were the case? Then I will jailbreak and unlock my old iPhone to sell to somebody for at least $250 (since unlocking is supposed to bump up the price on ebay by $100. Then get the new one for $200, netting $50 in the process to get a new case. Wow, wouldn't that be ideal? Doubt it will end up that perfect though.

dohspc

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Plano, TX
Hoping ATT will give existing iPhone customers the discount. I will gladly trade in my 16gig for the cut! :cool: It would be even crazier if they gave it to us for free with trade in, I guess you will need to goto the ATT store on fantasy island for that one.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
This sounds good, I just hope Apple doesn't allow independent resellers to sell the iPhone anytime soon. The overall satisfaction of customers would go down because lots of resellers don't take the time to properly train the salesmen as well as Apple and (presumably) at&t train their employees. I like the idea of subsidies, but unless at&t is giving back the $200, I can't see Apple doing that anytime soon. If multiple carriers in the USA were allowed to sell the device, then it would make more sense for at&t to offer a subsidy. at&t has a monopoly on the iPhone at the moment and I am sure they want to take advantage of that while they still can. Sure offering a subsidy would open the device to a larger market, but does that lower income target market currently purchase expensive data plans? It makes sense if at&t is just trying to get a stronghold on the device before it becomes available on other carriers (in the USA). I would think at&t would be holding out on playing this card until right before the exclusivity contract ends. It makes sense to get as many customers signed to yearly contracts as possible before the iPhone is on Verizon and T-Mobile.

tadekk

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
And for new customers, free on the higher priced plans, and just £100 on the lower plans, and pay as you go for £269!

I don't believe in free upgrade for current customers (but £100 sounds reasonable, but why would they need you to trade your old iPhone? will they be still available as refurbs?).

However, if the 16GB model will be available in PAYG, I'm buying one (this or maybe a 12 month contract, huh O2?), especially if they throw unlimited web/wifi bolt-on for, say £10-12/month (I know there is one already but it's pathetic 200MB)...

iNelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
YES!!!! I just sold my phone on eBay for 500 dollars! I can get a new phone + extra cash! Life is good...

So are you now without a phone and paying for a phone plan?
Seems risky... if you are paying for a plan.

Also, does anyone know if Apple will let me trade in a malfunctioning phone/device (still under warranty) for a better model if I pay the difference?

My iPhone is acting silly and I'm thinking it may get swapped by Apple (based in internet searches of my problem), but if there's a 3G iPhone on Monday... If not, perhaps they'll let m upgrade to a 16 GB model.

Maybe someone has had experience with this type of transaction.

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
iPhone subsidy on contract

I am looking forward to Vodaphone bringing the iPhone to South Africa, and if the rumors are true - 3G, GPS etc.. I'll sign up, even if it is for a 24 month contract.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
its probably how all the subsided phones in germany are. U r gonna pay less and sign up for a 2 years contract and as more expensive the plan is the less expensive is the phone itself.

i hope its possible to get it for around 199 $ so i can not just get the phone but a nintendo wii too :D

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
London City

which sites were stating these unbelievable - student friendly - prices??? please let me know, tbh we all need to really just wait untill monday. no point of finding out that these could be an option, but not true...

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I hope this is true, that would be awesome. As a 1st gen iPhone owner I hope we dont screwed.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Family Plans...

I was wondering... I want to get an iPhone, but my Mom doesn't want one; if we both switched to AT&T on a family plan, could we do the $60/month one, and I get an iPhone with the $20 extra iPhone data plan?

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Also, does anyone know if Apple will let me trade in a malfunctioning phone/device (still under warranty) for a better model if I pay the difference?

My phone was malfunctioning a couple of weeks back and when Apple said they would replace it I asked if I could upgrade to the 16 GB and they told me it was only direct replacements...

Sucks, I know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.