Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

094446-aapl_financial_results_banner.jpg

Apple today issued a media alert announcing details for next Tuesday's release of its financial results for the first fiscal quarter of 2011, corresponding to the fourth calendar quarter of 2010. The results will be released after the close of Tuesday's trading at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. Apple's conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via a live audio webcast. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the conference call highlights.

Apple's first fiscal quarter of 2011 was relatively quiet when it came to new product introductions after a busy previous quarter. The only notable product introduction during the quarter leading up to and including the holiday season was the revamped MacBook Air that saw a new, sleeker design, flash-only storage, and an 11.6-inch model joining the previously-existing 13.3-inch size.

For the quarter, analysts are predicting net earnings of $5.36 per share on revenue of $24.34 billion, above Apple's guidance of $4.80 profit per share on $23 billion of revenue. Apple's year-ago results for the first fiscal quarter of 2010 included net earnings of $3.67 per share on revenue of $15.68 billion.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q1 2011 Financial Results on January 18th

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
It will be interesting to see iPhone sales numbers given all the recent articles about Android destroying the iPhone in every imaginable way. :rolleyes: It's always good to see that kind of "reporting" decimated with actual sales figures.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It will be interesting to see iPhone sales numbers given all the recent articles about Android destroying the iPhone in every imaginable way. :rolleyes: It's always good to see that kind of "reporting" decimated with actual sales figures.

I see that as just Android hype. Not to say it's not the best alternative to an iPhone, but without a doubt, the iPhone still is miles ahead of any single Android phone. Plus, iOS is so much cleaner and more refined. But, the numbers will do the talking and looks like this last Qtr was another home run for Apple if the prediction is right. I think iPad, iPhone and iPod Touches are what's driving that number. MB Airs and Macs in general I'm sure are doing well too.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

If someone could accurately aggregate across multiple manufacturers then the numbers would be there but as there are so many big and small OEMS offering Android handsets it just isn't possible.

You can see the successes of Android via individual companies performance like HTC for example who saw doubled profits last quater, mostly thanks to their success with Android.

Are you saying the news on the popularity of Android is dubious in some way and is being misreported?

Comment

Lochias

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Virginia
Why?

and now already, pay some dividends?

EISH!:

mad:

Careful what you wish for. Just remember the last time they were paying dividends: late eighties, early nineties: great years for Steve Jobs, NeXT, and Pixar; not so good for Apple.

Anyway, if you get a dividend, you have to pay the full income tax on it. Sell a share or two for the same money, and the same hit on the value of your holding, it's only a capital gain. I hope they never pay dividends again.

Comment

shmeffrey

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Toronto Canada
Anyway, if you get a dividend, you have to pay the full income tax on it. Sell a share or two for the same money, and the same hit on the value of your holding, it's only a capital gain. I hope they never pay dividends again.

I agree, I don't want a dividend, better for Apple to use the money for acquisitions. If you want to realize that capital gain in a certain tax year just sell some off on Dec 30 and buy back the same amount right after and take a hit for the trade commission. Also by not paying out dividends Apple with be the largest company in the world by market cap in a few years. :D

Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Are you saying the news on the popularity of Android is dubious in some way and is being misreported?

Not necessarily, but I do recognize that the modern news media (particularly in the field of tech reporting) is lazy and loves to fall back on a good narrative instead of delving into actual detail, something far less "sexy" than a fistfight between two big competitors.

Despite being a regular on this site, I have almost zero interest in a declared winner of the smart phone race. I just love those moments where reality comes crashing in for all the tech pundits and reporters out there and they have to spend the next week backpedalling, reconfiguring their viewpoint or going the quixotic route of defending their previously stated beliefs despite the reality in front of them.

Comment

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Stocks up to $346 currently. I've seen analysts saying $450. Any inklings of a split ever happening? Or are they going to stay with the Googles and the like and let it just go higher and higher? At some point, it's going to exclude the small investors.

Comment

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Sell a share or two for the same money

What I don't get: so long as Apple (or any company with a similar policy) does not issue dividends, what is the point of owning the stock? It's like gold insofar as there is no practical purpose in owning it (other than a tiny percentage used for industry/art) save the perception persuading someone else to pay even more for it. What is ownership of Apple stock but a few expensive bits in a server somewhere?

(This question is presented with honest respect: Apple is doing awesome; I'm just wondering what owning stock therein means beyond laying claim to something you can never have and will never produce for you.)

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Apple's first fiscal quarter?!

Apple's first fiscal quarter is the same as everyone else's. January to March. Isn't it a little early to announce that it has been quiet and devoid of new product announcements? We've already had a new version of the iPhone and this quarter is only fourteen days old!

Comment

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
Guessing aapl will report another stellar quarter
Rather than dividends I wish for a 4 to 1 stock split
Anyway - Thanks aapl for making my portfolio a bit fatter last year
Trading both ways

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
What I don't get: so long as Apple (or any company with a similar policy) does not issue dividends, what is the point of owning the stock? It's like gold insofar as there is no practical purpose in owning it (other than a tiny percentage used for industry/art) save the perception persuading someone else to pay even more for it. What is ownership of Apple stock but a few expensive bits in a server somewhere?

(This question is presented with honest respect: Apple is doing awesome; I'm just wondering what owning stock therein means beyond laying claim to something you can never have and will never produce for you.)

A stock is supposed to give you access to the dividend stream or to a payment when the company is acquired. Since Apple is so huge, it cannot be acquired. So the point to Apple's stock is to eventually get dividends. Yes, you can sell it to someone, but that someone (maybe many many sales later) needs to get dividends.

So you are right, it makes no sense when people say they hope Apple never pays dividends.

My concern as the years go by and Apple doesn't pay dividends while profits keep growing is the temptation to spend the war chest. For example, I assure you that at the highest levels the acquisition of Facebook and Yahoo has been discussed. I don't know if these were five minute discussions and the idea was shot down or if they are ongoing analysis with a team considering the pros and cons to this day. But the war chest allows you to consider this stuff. Eventually, it will be too tempting not to do something with the money.

And for the record, yes, I think buying Facebook for $50 billion would be a big mistake.

Comment

bprange

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
North Dakota
What I don't get: so long as Apple (or any company with a similar policy) does not issue dividends, what is the point of owning the stock? ...

IMO: Dividends are NOT directly connected with a successful company. It is more like an illusion of stability that your grandma buys into because it pays something tangible to her instead of building real value. For example GM pays dividends even though tax payers had to bail out the company. However companies will issue dividends or payments to stockholders if they feel they cannot use the money efficiently (that is an awesome company to have more than they can use, also to be smart and not just sit on it). That way as an investor I can put that money to use somewhere else to grow.

As far as owning stock, it is wealth builder just like anything else. It is only "paper" but a signed Babe Ruth rookie card is only a baseball card. It has value because others place value on it. Over time the value of that stock goes up as the company (AAPL!!) does well. You can choose to sell that and realize the gains or sit on it to continue to build wealth. Similar to the card, if you sell it now you may make $xxx but if you wait and it becomes more valued then in the future you can sell it for $x,xxx. Hope that makes sense...

/I don't care for stocks that have to pay me to own them btw...

Comment

bprange

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
North Dakota
So the point to Apple's stock is to eventually get dividends. Yes, you can sell it to someone, but that someone (maybe many many sales later) needs to get dividends.

So you are right, it makes no sense when people say they hope Apple never pays dividends.

We definitely have very different view on investing! Each his own, I am looking for amazing intrinsic value that when the stock gets over priced or stops growing I get out and reinvest in something else while the market corrects the overpriced stock and then buy it back. I do not look for dividends; it is a plus but not necessary for my strategy. I strive for 25% compounded rates on my portfolio and have been riding the AAPL wave for all it is worth!

Comment

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home

I was thinking the axact same thing

Comment

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX

Seriously? Anyone who buys AAPL stock is buying it for a reason, it's not just bits in a server somewhere. It's a super liquid investment that will make you a lot of money!

Gold is even more important to own. Not only WILL it appreciate, when the dollar is worth nothing, I'll be glad I have physical currency.

Comment

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
aapl has had a nice run here and it will take a VERY healthy eps to keep it going in the near term. I'm hoping for >$6.20 which should keep the FUDsters at bay. Anything less than $6 will likely generate some sell pressure.

cheers to the longs
Johng

Comment

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
A stock is supposed to give you access to the dividend stream or to a payment when the company is acquired. Since Apple is so huge, it cannot be acquired. So the point to Apple's stock is to eventually get dividends. Yes, you can sell it to someone, but that someone (maybe many many sales later) needs to get dividends.

My concern as the years go by and Apple doesn't pay dividends while profits keep growing is the temptation to spend the war chest. For example, I assure you that at the highest levels the acquisition of Facebook and Yahoo has been discussed. I don't know if these were five minute discussions and the idea was shot down or if they are ongoing analysis with a team considering the pros and cons to this day. But the war chest allows you to consider this stuff. Eventually, it will be too tempting not to do something with the money.

And for the record, yes, I think buying Facebook for $50 billion would be a big mistake.

Your concern is misplaced. Apple's management would NEVER even consider a purchase like Facebook or Yahoo. All of their purchases have been smallish companies.

Those sort of bonehead takeovers are done by poorly managed companies like MSFT.

cheers
JohnG

Comment

finnns2000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
Pineapple under the sea
I saw something on WSJ the other day about guys speculating whether this stock hits $1000. That would be ridiculous, but at this point saying "it won't happen" seems like foot in mouth.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.