Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its investor relations page to announce that it will share its earnings for the first fiscal quarter of 2017 (fourth calendar quarter) on Tuesday, January 31.

The earnings report will take a look at iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 sales throughout the holiday quarter, as well as sales of the new MacBook Pro that was introduced in October.

appleq12017earnings-800x412.jpg

For the fourth quarter of 2016, Apple posted revenue of $46.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $9 billion, or $1.67 per diluted share. That was down from $51.5 billion and net quarterly profit of $11.1 billion, or $1.96 per diluted share in the year-ago quarter.

Apple's guidance for the first quarter of fiscal 2017 includes expected revenue of $76 to $78 billion and gross margin between 38 and 38.5 percent. Based on Apple's estimates, Q1 2017 will mark Apple's return to growth following its first annual revenue decline since 2001.

Apple will release its quarterly earnings statement at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time), with a conference call to follow at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 pm. Eastern Time). MacRumors will provide live coverage of the results and the call.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q1 2017 Earnings on January 31

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I don't even want to hear about the fabled "product pipeline" this time around.

Why not?

The past "pipeline" contained the AirPods, for example, a completely unexpected mega-hit that will fuel further growth.
[doublepost=1483569298][/doublepost]
"Our newest MacBook Pro touchbar is our fastest selling and best MacBook ever"-Tim Cook on January 31st.

Very likely. Only fools can bite to the story that tech bloggers paid by Microsoft and Google tried to paint.

Reactions: orbital~debris

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I don't even want to hear about the fabled "product pipeline" this time around.
Then maybe these announcements aren't for you. After all, the only thing investors care about is future earnings potential. We already know the sales for this quarter. They will fall somewhere in Apple's range and depending on how much the analysts want to manipulate the stock, they will either agree with Apple's bull or bear estimates. That's it. Show's over.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Before people start with the doom and gloom, I'd like to remind everyone that these earnings still precede the soon-to-be-relesased distillation of all that Apple is: the iS. Featuring a unibody design, zero ports, and a fully capacitive touch surface, iS is a truly forward-thinking post-PC product.

iS.png

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seriousness....I would like to hear something about Mac desktop as in Mac Pro and minis.

I have seen your frustrated posts on the Mac Pro/Mini on these forums. And I'm not trying to agitate you, but it's highly unlikely either of those products will be mentioned during the earnings call. And we are to close to the March Keynote to push any teasers other than rumors at this point.

My opinion is the Mac Pro and Mini are done. The iMacs are next up from the readings and various sources I have read.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I have seen your frustrated posts on the Mac Pro/Mini on these forums. And I'm not trying to agitate you, but it's highly unlikely either of those products will be mentioned during the earnings call. And we are to close to the March Keynote to push any teasers other than rumors at this point.

My opinion is the Mac Pro and Mini are done. The iMacs are next up from the readings and various sources I have read.
I hate to admit it...you're right.
[doublepost=1483577026][/doublepost]

To be honest, I want apple to say it that it's done..and my limbo status will dissipate like gone in the wind. "Coming soon...to the nearest Rumor site near you."
[doublepost=1483577122][/doublepost]
I wonder if the word "Mac" will be even mentioned? Or even "desktop?"

If I hear the word "pipeline" again...

VRbKVLy.gif
LOL....I just want Apple to say it that it's done...or it's continuing. No more putting people in limbo status...or sending us to some purgatory place.

Last edited:

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I really hope somebody grills him on why they've let their entire Mac desktop lineup completely languish on the vine ever since Cook became CEO but I seriously doubt anyone will. Not that I would expect Cook to respond with anything other than obfuscation & platitudes...

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
LOL....I just want Apple to say it that it's done...or it's continuing. No more putting people in limbo status...or sending us to some purgatory place.
I don't think most people are buying this "pipeline" anymore. This pipeline hasn't really delivered IMO. Last year we got, a barely updated rMB, iPhone with the same design and no headphone jack (just use USB-C Apple), AirPods, and the MacBook Pro (which wasn't much of an update IMO). I think that's all in the hardware area. I'd go on about the Mac Pro and the Mac mini, but we've already discussed that in the past.

I don't think the Mac will have a big show this year (pun intended). Course I could be wrong...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I don't think most people are buying this "pipeline" anymore. This pipeline hasn't really delivered IMO. Last year we got, a barely updated rMB, iPhone with the same design and no headphone jack (just use USB-C Apple), AirPods, and the MacBook Pro (which wasn't much of an update IMO). I think that's all in the hardware area. I'd go on about the Mac Pro and the Mac mini, but we've already discussed that in the past.

I don't think the Mac will have a big show this year (pun intended). Course I could be wrong...
I agree. Even with the past article about mac "desktop" email response, Tim should be transparent about the whole mac products. From the last quarter earning report, interviewers haven't asked Tim specifically about those products. I can care less about mobile area because they're still doing great despite their flaws. It's fine and dandy where they are heading to at this point...but he needs to be transparent about mac pros and minis. Keeping people guessing at this point is really a disservice for some people. Again, financially, they haven't displeased investors one bit other than fear tactics,...but on user side....it's a no-go. Whoever does interview with Tim Cook should really ask them about the situation about those products.
[doublepost=1483581186][/doublepost]
You're assuming that Apple respects it's consumers to do so.
I know..i know....I shouldn't expect apple to treat themselves with respect.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"Watch this space"
"We love the macs"
"Our pipeline is chockablock with Magical stuff"

Or

"We had the Courage to can them"

I really hope somebody grills him on why they've let their entire Mac desktop lineup completely languish on the vine ever since Cook became CEO but I seriously doubt anyone will. Not that I would expect Cook to respond with anything other than obfuscation & platitudes...

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
So in three weeks we'll finally find out just how successful the new MBP's and AirPods really were, without any hype or PR talk.
Will it be a celebration or a drinking game?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I agree. Even with the past article about mac "desktop" email response, Tim should be transparent about the whole mac products. From the last quarter earning report, interviewers haven't asked Tim specifically about those products. I can care less about mobile area because they're still doing great despite their flaws. It's fine and dandy where they are heading to at this point...but he needs to be transparent about mac pros and minis. Keeping people guessing at this point is really a disservice for some people. Again, financially, they haven't displeased investors one bit other than fear tactics,...but on user side....it's a no-go. Whoever does interview with Tim Cook should really ask them about the situation about those products.
I think he would just say the same stuff. Something along the lines of "We love Macs" "We have an amazing pipeline of products" "This will be the best year yet". Even if they did update them, you know everything will soldered and glued in. Thinner (form over function). Have a relatively low max RAM capacity. Probably have less ports because dongles.

Well I better top before I sound "whiny." ;)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why not?

The past "pipeline" contained the AirPods, for example, a completely unexpected mega-hit that will fuel further growth.

I love my EarPods , though that's not a pipeline is it?
[doublepost=1483607156][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1483581186][/doublepost]
I know..i know....I shouldn't expect apple to treat themselves with respect.

From past interviews I've watched, Those interview questions are vetted, and it's a very controlled environment , no tough questions to our Tim on the spot, he does not even engage with anyone ad hoc like Jobs used to.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why not?

[doublepost=1483569298][/doublepost]

In 6 years of TC's robotic repetition that Apple has a great product pipeline he was able to come out with ONE truly buzz worthy product -- AirPods. Meanwhile he's practically gutted the Mac line -- its peripherals for sure. The iPad has gets no love, just price hikes. All TC and Shiller can say about it is that it's magical and PC users should buy one. Samsung has pretty much caught up with the iPhone feature-wise, and but-for it's battery woes, it would have likely stifled iPhone sales even more than they already were because, well, Apple has made the iPhone boring and its models irritatingly gimpped unless you want the largest screen.

AppleWatch had promise but TC was hypnotized by Ive's insistence it could be the next Cartier for the Rich And Famous and Fashionista crowd by covering it in gold and doing nothing more. This even as it was clear the real market was fitness -- not just faux step counting, but actual sports data monitoring and collection. It took Apple how long to incorporate GPS into the watch? Meanwhile Garmin just announced some fantastic new Fenix models that surpass AW's sports functions (they alway did) but also look like real watches, not an oversized piece of Chiclet gum.

Seriously -- TC's signature mark on Apple thus far is paying a lot of money for a headphone company and its top executives and then still not being able to negotiate a TV streaming deal for AppleTV -- the most expensive non-4K streamer on the market today and with limited Siri commands.

So please, stop telling us how great Apple is under TC's tutelage until he starts actually releasing amazing, interesting products en masse from this so called vast product pipeline, not one ever 6 years.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
I hope it's punishingly low
It's pretty sad when people are at a point where they hope the company does poorly in the hopes it will spur them to concentrate on products they've long neglected.

You'd think Apple could spare a few employees to work on the Macs given they've been growing like crazy these past few years, but no. Jokes about watchbands aside, one wonders just WTF all those people are working on when the output they've shown thus far is so... non-prodigious and certainly nothing amazing. I suspect the next iPhone will also be a slight incremental upgrade, certainly nothing requiring thousands upon thousands of engineers and designers to produce.

Reactions: sunwukong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.