Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it will be attending the 2018 Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, aka NeurIPS, in Montréal, Canada from December 2 through December 8. Apple will have a booth staffed with machine learning experts and invites any conference attendees to drop by and chat.

coreml-apple.jpg

NeurIPS is in its 32nd year and is said to be the world's largest and most influential machine learning and artificial intelligence conference. Apple is likely there to showcase its machine learning technologies and recruit new employees.

Machine learning algorithms play a role in virtually every Apple product and service, ranging from Apple Maps and Apple News to Siri and the QuickType keyboard on iPhone and iPad. Apple has machine learning jobs available in areas such as artificial intelligence, computer vision, data science, and deep learning.

Apple highlights its machine learning efforts in its Machine Learning Journal.

Article Link: Apple to Attend World's Largest Machine Learning Conference Next Week

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Whatever improves Siri further is welcome. Especially when no bypass is available like with the current HomePod.

Reactions: User 6502
Comment

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Apple should have it’s developers attend the conference instead of being a sponsor with a vendor booth. Siri sucks and typing on the “intelligent” keyboard on the iPhone X with iOS 12 has never been worse for me. Some of the words it thinks I’m trying to type are laughable. Typing just now I misspelled sponsor putting an e where the last o should be and it came up with slinger. LOL. How the hell do you get “slinger” from “sponser”?

Type the same misspelling into Google or Microsoft Word, or any half way decent spelling checker and it knows exactly what word I was trying to spell.

My HomePod has been God awful interpreting what my wife and I say after the last update as well. WTF Apple? You literally made the HomePod worse at understanding what we’re saying. Thanks but no thanks. Fix these bugs!!!

Reactions: Aston441
Comment

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I never had a reason to find programming all that interesting or compelling to get into, but ML applied to Ai, is the first think that makes me think I'd like to learn how to program, even as a fun side hobby. Maybe in a few decades of plunking away at it I'll be able to buy and integrate an Ai program into one of my little robots or something.
But where to even begin...

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.