Apple to Block SHSH Downgrade With Next iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by -aggie-, Mar 30, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Interesting article that I haven't seen being discussed:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/03/the-end-of-restores-to-previous-firmwares/

The text:

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My 3GS is not JB'ed, but in general I wish the folks at Apple would spend their time improving the iPhone software and hardware than getting into an arms race with hackers.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, yes, notcom posted this on http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ over a month ago. But this was always expected; downgrades with SHSH were only ever possible because Apple didn't implement even the most basic security on the signature check. You can't really expect them to continue to allow what is perhaps the largest public Man-in-the-Middle attack in history...

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If it will be based on the effective date, why not just change the date on the iphone before restoring?

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

If I'm reading this right, which I don't think I am, does this mean that everyone should hold off on updating iTunes as well?

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Well yes, a jailbreaker should always hold off on updating anything (iTunes+iPhone). At least until the dev-team or MN gives the "all clear".

7. phrint macrumors 6502

I wouldn't necessarily think that withholding on the upgrading of iTunes itself will do anything. To me, it seems that the technology discussed in the article needs to be implemented in the bootrom of the device meaning that Apple can dictate restoring rules to newer devices with the code but not older ones. If this is correct, then the 3G and the early 3GS values are going to skyrocket in the secondary market.

8. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

That's good advice. I never thought there would be an issue with updating iTunes. Th phone makes sense though.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks.
    Keeps getting harder and harder to do whatever you want to your own device:rolleyes:

10. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

And everyone talks about how bad Microsoft is!? Apple, the new and improved Microsoft. Welcome to 1984.

It's time for two kids in a garage to start a new company.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, its hard as it is now to keep a JB 3GS without having to jump thru 10 hoops.
    I imagine the next iphone will be a bigger pain to deal with when it comes to JB.
    Hope the JB community comes out strong and finds workarounds over these new measures.

12. ifruitfly macrumors member

sad, very-very sad... jobbs' is the personification of hypocrisy in so many--very ironic--ways. i hope his hubris cuts into sales. i, for one, would be very happy to leave the iphone for another device that had the functionality and freedom that a JB provides. perhaps its high time for a linux-phone?