Apple to Build Second Data Center in Denmark

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to spend $921 million on a second data center in Denmark run entirely on renewable energy. The news was relayed by the Danish government's Ministry of Climate Energy and confirmed in a statement to Reuters by Apple's Nordic director Erik Stannow.

"We're thrilled to be expanding our data center operations in Denmark, and investing in new sources of clean power," Erik Stannow, Nordic manager for Apple, told Reuters in an email.

"The planned facility in Aabenraa, like all of our data centers, will run on 100 percent renewable energy from day one, thanks to new clean energy sources we're adding," he said.
Apple said the new data center would begin operations in the second quarter of 2019 and would power its online services, including the likes of iMessage, Siri, Maps, and the App Store.

The data center is located in Aabenraa near the German border, which is a couple of hundred miles south of the data center the company has built just outside of Viborg, which is due to start operations later this year.

Apple said a planned data center in Athenry, Ireland, announced in 2015, had yet to begin construction and is awaiting judicial review. Apple faced multiple objections from local groups because of the planned facility's possibly harmful effects on the nearby wilderness. Originally it aimed to have the Irish data center up and running by early 2017.

(Thanks, Daniel!)

Article Link: Apple to Build Second Data Center in Denmark

Reactions: Vanilla35

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
And the more diversified the locations of their data centers, the more theoretically reliable the system could be. I'm impressed that Apple is following through on its commitment to make all their operations run on renewable energy.

Reactions: Solomani

slammer0

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I hope that with this additional infrastructure Apple will start expanding horizontally, like Google does. I don't care about those amazing features like Siri, Apple Pay or a bunch of stuff in Apple Maps if they are not supported in my country and language.

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
Wait, the linked article says $921M, not $291M. I was gonna say, $291M for a data center running entirely on renewable energy sounds super cheap.
[doublepost=1499707658][/doublepost]
How many (Apple) Data centres are there in Europe?
Wish *"all" my data will be stored in one of those since Americans can't touch it, like the NSA.
Also, there are new laws in the making in the EU which gives users the right on encryption and no
backdoors.

*All= The data I want to be online.
I don't know if it's that simple since Apple is headquartered in the US.

Reactions: SBlue1

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Wait, the linked article says $921M, not $291M. I was gonna say, $291M for a data center running entirely on renewable energy sounds super cheap.
I don't think it's hard at all just a few lines of code.

#define x
x = ip ranges originating from Europe
#define y
y = Server in Europe
if ip address is from range x
then store data on server y

*I am not a programmer

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Wish *"all" my data will be stored in one of those since Americans can't touch it, like the NSA.
Also, there are new laws in the making in the EU which gives users the right on encryption and no
backdoors.

Perhaps you can use a different cloud service to ease your fears. The EU is a elite scam to repress and control nations that's why England left.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Perhaps you can use a different cloud service to ease your fears. The EU is a elite scam to repress and control nations that's why England left.
Mine was on topic, this is off topic and political, I bite though.

Hmmm, but because of your so called elite scam we have much cheaper roaming now.
Brexit is a bad idea, most people from the UK agree now, they have been scammed into it.

Reactions: hotgril

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Mine was on topic, this is off topic and political, I bite though.

Hmmm, but because of your so called elite scam we have much cheaper roaming now.
Brexit is a bad idea, most people from the UK agree now, they have been scammed into it.
If he's worried about an American owned and created service he should look around him, Europe has been do this for decades in terms of spying on it's people.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
:cool: datacenters

Apple's really moving. . With any luck, this should make better performance too. Network use i mean, quicker access times etc. ....

All this energy efficient stuff is gonna limit where Apple can do it. Particularly when u think Apple has their strict requirements.

the johnmc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
iPhone: 38.551970,-121.698453

Apple said a planned data center in Athenry, Ireland, announced in 2015, had yet to begin construction and is awaiting judicial review. Apple faced multiple objections from local groups because of the planned facility's possibly harmful effects on the nearby wilderness. Originally it aimed to have the Irish data center up and running by early 2017.
Most of the locals want it built. It's just a couple of NIMBY types who don't, and it's not even in their back yard anyway.

mossy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Ireland
Most of the locals want it built. It's just a couple of NIMBY types who don't, and it's not even in their back yard anyway.

The Irish State has designated Data centre areas that are located on the south east and along the east coast.
I have no idea why Apple wants to build in that particular location. They gave a pathetic excuse about being hundreds of miles away from a nuclear station. I guess it must be a station on the west coast of Wales or England. Still a BS excuse. Why not just build in one of the designated areas? They talk about the environment - but want to rip down and dig up Bat and Badger habitats.

and what it will look like (supposedly) when finished. The small bit of animal habitat will be gone. Of all the places in Ireland like? There is a boatload of land about the place - but they had to go for the only few trees in the area. SAD!!!

Last edited:

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
I don't think it's hard at all just a few lines of code.

#define x
x = ip ranges originating from Europe
#define y
y = Server in Europe
if ip address is from range x
then store data on server y

*I am not a programmer
I meant the legal implications, cause IDK how that works. But also, the logic isn't that simple. There's typically load balancing, data replication, and failover. Your IP address won't necessarily always originate from Europe, and I'll bet my iCloud data is stored in at least 2 different continents.
[doublepost=1499739471][/doublepost]
15GB standard iCloud storage?

C'mon it's gonna be a trillion dollar company. Would like to switch over from Google Photos.
They're a valuable company because they make profits, and mostly from consumers paying directly. Google is in a somewhat different market and plays a different strategy. Between the two, I'd rather be Apple. I think advertising is going to slowly stop being profitable, plus all of Google's new projects lately have been failing, so there goes their growth.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The local danish news quoted a "6 billion kroner" price, which would put the price around the 921$M mark.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
How's renewable price in Denmark in Dec & Jan for industry?
Significantly higher?
No idea, but I wouldn't count on it being much higher. Vestas, the second largest wind mill company in the world is from Denmark, and we are currently sitting at around 60% for electricity comming from renewable sources.

Reactions: toke lahti

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I meant the legal implications, cause IDK how that works. But also, the logic isn't that simple. There's typically load balancing, data replication, and failover. Your IP address won't necessarily always originate from Europe, and I'll bet my iCloud data is stored in at least 2 different continents.
That's why I asked "How many data centres there are in Europe, if only one your points are valid, if 10 then The data could easily remain in Europe.

No idea, but I wouldn't count on it being much higher. Vestas, the second largest wind mill company in the world is from Denmark, and we are currently sitting at around 60% for electricity comming from renewable sources.
WOW, 60%.

the johnmc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
iPhone: 38.551970,-121.698453
The Irish State has designated Data centre areas that are located on the south east and along the east coast.
I have no idea why Apple wants to build in that particular location. They gave a pathetic excuse about being hundreds of miles away from a nuclear station. I guess it must be a station on the west coast of Wales or England. Still a BS excuse. Why not just build in one of the designated areas? They talk about the environment - but want to rip down and dig up Bat and Badger habitats.
Ah the poor badgers and bats. God forbid someone would put something in the west of the country. Still the same as when I left the place 16 years ago. Another bridge across the Corrib was being talked about then and it still hasn't been built.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
backdoors.

Apple Data Centers in Europe: Impervious to US Government Snooping. Totally Vulnerable to European Union Extortionist Lawsuits.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa