Apple to Build Second Data Center in Denmark

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is set to spend $921 million on a second data center in Denmark run entirely on renewable energy. The news was relayed by the Danish government's Ministry of Climate Energy and confirmed in a statement to Reuters by Apple's Nordic director Erik Stannow.

[​IMG]
    Apple said the new data center would begin operations in the second quarter of 2019 and would power its online services, including the likes of iMessage, Siri, Maps, and the App Store.

The data center is located in Aabenraa near the German border, which is a couple of hundred miles south of the data center the company has built just outside of Viborg, which is due to start operations later this year.

Apple said a planned data center in Athenry, Ireland, announced in 2015, had yet to begin construction and is awaiting judicial review. Apple faced multiple objections from local groups because of the planned facility's possibly harmful effects on the nearby wilderness. Originally it aimed to have the Irish data center up and running by early 2017.

(Thanks, Daniel!)

Article Link: Apple to Build Second Data Center in Denmark

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yay, faster iCloud up- and downloads! ^_^

(Personally i find iCloud speeds quite good in practice, but faster is always better right?)

3. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

And the more diversified the locations of their data centers, the more theoretically reliable the system could be. I'm impressed that Apple is following through on its commitment to make all their operations run on renewable energy.

4. slammer0 macrumors newbie

I hope that with this additional infrastructure Apple will start expanding horizontally, like Google does. I don't care about those amazing features like Siri, Apple Pay or a bunch of stuff in Apple Maps if they are not supported in my country and language.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How many (Apple) Data centres are there in Europe?
    Wish *"all" my data will be stored in one of those since Americans can't touch it, like the NSA.
    Also, there are new laws in the making in the EU which gives users the right on encryption and no
    backdoors.

*All= The data I want to be online.

6. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

15GB standard iCloud storage?

C'mon it's gonna be a trillion dollar company. Would like to switch over from Google Photos.

7. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Very happy to see Apple holding firm to clean, renewable energy.

8. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

Wait, the linked article says $921M, not $291M. I was gonna say, $291M for a data center running entirely on renewable energy sounds super cheap.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017 ---
    I don't know if it's that simple since Apple is headquartered in the US.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I don't think it's hard at all just a few lines of code.

#define x
    x = ip ranges originating from Europe
    #define y
    y = Server in Europe
    if ip address is from range x
    then store data on server y

*I am not a programmer

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Perhaps you can use a different cloud service to ease your fears. The EU is a elite scam to repress and control nations that's why England left.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Mine was on topic, this is off topic and political, I bite though.

Hmmm, but because of your so called elite scam we have much cheaper roaming now.
    Brexit is a bad idea, most people from the UK agree now, they have been scammed into it.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

If he's worried about an American owned and created service he should look around him, Europe has been do this for decades in terms of spying on it's people.

13. Tech198 macrumors G4

:cool: datacenters

Apple's really moving. . With any luck, this should make better performance too. Network use i mean, quicker access times etc. ....

All this energy efficient stuff is gonna limit where Apple can do it. Particularly when u think Apple has their strict requirements.

14. the johnmc macrumors newbie

the johnmc

Most of the locals want it built. It's just a couple of NIMBY types who don't, and it's not even in their back yard anyway.

15. mossy, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

mossy macrumors regular

mossy

The Irish State has designated Data centre areas that are located on the south east and along the east coast.
    I have no idea why Apple wants to build in that particular location. They gave a pathetic excuse about being hundreds of miles away from a nuclear station. I guess it must be a station on the west coast of Wales or England. Still a BS excuse. Why not just build in one of the designated areas? They talk about the environment - but want to rip down and dig up Bat and Badger habitats.

[​IMG]

and what it will look like (supposedly) when finished. The small bit of animal habitat will be gone. Of all the places in Ireland like? There is a boatload of land about the place - but they had to go for the only few trees in the area. SAD!!!

[​IMG]

16. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

Apple's paid storage is actually pretty cheap...

17. hotgril, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

hotgril Suspended

hotgril

I meant the legal implications, cause IDK how that works. But also, the logic isn't that simple. There's typically load balancing, data replication, and failover. Your IP address won't necessarily always originate from Europe, and I'll bet my iCloud data is stored in at least 2 different continents.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017 ---
    They're a valuable company because they make profits, and mostly from consumers paying directly. Google is in a somewhat different market and plays a different strategy. Between the two, I'd rather be Apple. I think advertising is going to slowly stop being profitable, plus all of Google's new projects lately have been failing, so there goes their growth.

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That's not what she said.... :D

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The local danish news quoted a "6 billion kroner" price, which would put the price around the 921$M mark.

20. toke lahti macrumors 68000

How's renewable price in Denmark in Dec & Jan for industry?
    Significantly higher?

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No idea, but I wouldn't count on it being much higher. Vestas, the second largest wind mill company in the world is from Denmark, and we are currently sitting at around 60% for electricity comming from renewable sources.

22. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That's why I asked "How many data centres there are in Europe, if only one your points are valid, if 10 then The data could easily remain in Europe.

WOW, 60%.

23. the johnmc macrumors newbie

the johnmc

Ah the poor badgers and bats. God forbid someone would put something in the west of the country. Still the same as when I left the place 16 years ago. Another bridge across the Corrib was being talked about then and it still hasn't been built.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Apple Data Centers in Europe: Impervious to US Government Snooping. Totally Vulnerable to European Union Extortionist Lawsuits.

25. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Even more that that.