Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On its AirPods Service and Repair page, Apple has added its official battery service fee for AirPods Max over-ear headphones, which went on sale earlier today.

airpods-max-internals.jpg

For customers who don't choose to purchase AppleCare+ for AirPods Max, Apple provides a standard one-year warranty that's available on all Apple products. If the AirPods Max need service during that one year period, all work will be covered for free.

After the one-year warranty on AirPods Max has expired or the up to two-year AppleCare+ coverage has come to an end, Apple will charge a $79 fee for battery servicing.

For customers in the United Kingdom, Apple has listed the same AirPods Max out-of-warranty battery service fee as costing £309 – this is surely an error and one that Apple will no doubt correct soon.

AirPods Max cost $549 and can be ordered through Apple's online store today, with shipment dates as early as December 15.

Article Link: Apple to Charge $79 for AirPods Max Out-of-Warranty Battery Service

Last edited:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It is actually nice this service is available and even accessible through a local Apple Store. Once the battery in my Bose QCs and 700s is dead, I guess that's that.

Reactions: delsoul
Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
So you can change battery for $79? This is not bad at all.

Now if we can replace the cup mesh as well it will begin to look like a good headphone after all.

Comment

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I wonder if these have a battery that can be removed or do they have to just replace the headphones like they have to do with the AirPods. I will be interested in the teardown videos.

Comment

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I still haven't read anything about the battery life, in the first few posts about this new product. Are they hiding it or something?

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
I still haven't read anything about the battery life, in the first few posts about this new product. Are they hiding it or something?

They're definitely hiding it, they dont want you to know, because surely there's something very fishy about it, were to see the light, that would be the end. They will keep us from knowing as long as humanly possible, Apple style...

Comment

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
Apple says the battery life is around 20h of audio playback. They definitely don't hide it:
View attachment 1689313

20 hours listening.

They're definitely hiding it, they dont want you to know, because surely there's something very fishy about it, were to see the light, that would be it about the product. They will keep us from knowing as long as humanly possible, Apple style...

Someone didn't check the Apple website...
Indeed everyone! You are right, I was lazy this morning, I skimmed too fast that part 🤪
Sorry.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Damn, the rumors were true!

For that price, they better be some incredible cans.

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Question is though can you? That is, change the battery when you want to pay and not when Apple sees fit like with the iPhones!😜
We can. Actually Apple have programs like this for small AirPods too and you can walk in and let them replace your battery for a fee. For small AirPods it’s almost not worth it but this one is.

Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
I don't usually buy AppleCare+, but headphones might be one product where it's actually worthwhile. My headphones usually end up breaking after a year or two for one reason or another. Maybe AirPods Max will be more robust?

• Disagree
Reactions: Precursor
Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
Now if we can replace the cup mesh as well it will begin to look like a good headphone after all.

Looks like the ear pads detach and attach very easily (with magnets), so that won't be a problem - assuming Apple will sell you replacements!

• Disagree
Reactions: Precursor
Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
My experience with high end over the ear headphones is that the cushions and cushion liners wear out alarmingly quickly. Wonder how much those will cost to replace? Probably non-repairable or the cost will be outrageous. Make no mistake -these expensive headphones will end up in a landfill within 5-6 years

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.