Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
London
That's right, for the privilege of waiting patiently to get some semblance of multitasking on your slate device, you'll have to pony up the cash -- or so the story goes.

Story here

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I am pretty sure they said the first upgrade was free but after that it would cost. Regardless you don't get the next Mac os for free so i don't know why you would expect the ioad os for free. That said it better be way better than ios4 if hey decide to charge for it

Unguided

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Well story now reports it is unlikely but iPod touch users have always had to pay for the major iOS upgrades but didn't Steve say they've now found a way to remove those associated charges, surely that can be applied to iPad users as well.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
After the wave of bad press they've had recently maybe they will give it away just so HuffingtonPost.com doesn't have a "Apple Forces Customers to Pay For iPad Update!" headline.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It's a shame that we already know the first major update is included. Also, no single app developer is going to know something no other developer does. You would have already heard of this if it was the case but Apple isn't telling their developers this information at all.

I love ******** rumors.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
This was just updated within the same story:

Update: Apple's iPad licensing docs have been known to carry a provision that the "next major iPad OS software release" will be free, although iOS 4 and the word "free" do not happen to coincide in the same sentence -- overall though, that renders this rumor rather less likely to materialize.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
This was just updated within the same story:

Update: Apple's iPad licensing docs have been known to carry a provision that the "next major iPad OS software release" will be free, although iOS 4 and the word "free" do not happen to coincide in the same sentence -- overall though, that renders this rumor rather less likely to materialize.

iOS wouldn't be named in it because they didn't want to let out the news that they were renaming the OS. Pretty easy to explain. The story was bogus from the start.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
This has already been retracted. I don't think Apple would charge due to the compatibility of apps designed for 4.0, not to mentioned the hybrid apps that work on both iPad and iPhone and are scaled to such. This is a False story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.