Apple to Classify Third-Generation iPad as Obsolete Later This Month

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will add the third-generation iPad to its vintage and obsolete products list on October 31, 2017, according to an internal memo distributed to Apple Authorized Service Providers and verified by MacRumors.

[​IMG]
    Apple's third-generation iPad

The memo states that both Wi-Fi and cellular models of the third-generation iPad will be classified as obsolete around the world, except in the state of California and Turkey due to legalities in those regions.

The distinction means that Apple and Apple Authorized Service Providers will no longer repair or service the tablet since it will surpass five years since last being manufactured, except where required by law.

In California, for example, third-generation iPad owners may still obtain service from Apple Stores or by contacting Apple support at 1-800-APL-CARE. The extended coverage period will likely end in October 2019.

Apple released the third-generation iPad, formally known as "the new iPad," in March 2012. The tablet was Apple's last with a 30-pin dock connector, and it was immediately discontinued upon release of the fourth-generation iPad with a Lightning connector just seven months later.

The third-generation iPad will join the original iPad on the vintage and obsolete products list. iPad 2 hasn't received the classification yet since it remained in Apple's tablet lineup as a low-cost option until 2014.

Article Link: Apple to Classify Third-Generation iPad as Obsolete Later This Month

2. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

3. prowlmedia Suspended

"Worst iPad Evvaaah" (in a comic book guy from Simpsons voice)

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It was obsolete on launch.. Confirmed by Apple when they killed it 7 months later.

5. Vorkeyjones macrumors member

Vorkeyjones

6. Elastic Love macrumors regular

7. avanpelt macrumors 68030

It hasn't gotten a software update since the last release of iOS 9. In our house, it's been relegated to being my kid's screen in the back of the car when we're on a roadtrip and it's also been used as a baby monitor. Works great for those two purposes.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I still use one. It still feels like I have no real reason to upgrade from it.

9. usarioclave macrumors 65816

The thing is heavier than my 12" iPad pro and has terrible battery life. It's the worst of all worlds.

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The first time Apple launched a product and didn't go on about it's thinness and lightness, seeing as it was both heavier and thicker than the device it replaced ....

11. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

12. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

13. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

So far the best and longest iPads are the 2s. iPad 2 and Air 2.

14. Sirious, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

A shopping channel in the UK (Ideal World) were selling them a week ago, as 'refurbished' models.

I had never laughed so hard before...

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

How much?

16. NeilHD macrumors regular

So, the iPad3 is marked obsolete, but the older iPad 2 isn't?

Ooookay.

I had one of these and replaced it recently with an Air 2. The difference between the two is staggering - especially in terms of weight!

17. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

I feel so bad for the people who bought this. I’m looking at the comments in the old 2012 thread. They had no idea what they were getting into.
    Just proves that nobody can really predict the reception of any product for it releases.

BTW: same Apple is doomed posts we see today are in that thread. Learn from history and don’t hate.
    CE66FE89-9926-4752-B91C-3E38D645B538.png

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

iPads are like Star Trek Movies. The even-numbered ones are good. The odd-numbered ones are busts.

19. ziggy3055 macrumors member

ziggy3055

I seem to buy short lived iPad models. I had this iPad model for a while and I currently have an iPad mini 4 64GB model, both short lived (iPad mini 4 is not but the 64GB model was), yet they have both been just fine.

Coming from the original iPad to the 3rd gen iPad was definitely an upgrade.

20. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

Still don't get why people hate this iPad so much. It improved on everything about iPad 2 apart from CPU speed which was fine at the time of iOS 5 and iOS 6. Nowadays it's still as slow as iPad 2 and iPad mini 1st gen. Nothing has changed in this aspect

21. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

I still use the 1st generation iPad with my garage stereo system. It's the only Apple iOS product (besides the ATVs) in my house that will connect to my large iTunes library without problems. We have multiple 1-2 year old iPads and iPhones with the latest updates and they still refuse to connect to my iTunes library. I've gone to a third party app for those.

22. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

The iPad I owned for the shortest amount of time. The one that was obsoleted 6 months after release by the much faster and more colorful 4th generation iPad. I remember the colors on the screen amazed me on the 4th gen. My commiserations to anyone still using this insanely slow, dull and heavy device.

23. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

I recall buying it (my first iPad purchase) in early September 2012... then the iPad 4 (Lightning) came out and I immediately went to my nearest Apple Store to exchange it. I had to sweat it out because it was the 31st day after I bought it. They ultimately allowed me to do an even exchange. Whew! My wife still uses it, although it's sluggish, running the last update of iOS 10.

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

ST4 sucked and gets more dated with every viewing. Thar be whales!

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

Good, maybe it'll shut some people up around here.....wait no it'll just enrage the luddites who expect their 6 year old ipad to run like new.