Apple to Crack Down on Newspaper, Magazine App Payments

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thetexan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. thetexan macrumors 6502a

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/02/02/apple-to-crack-down-on-newspaper-magazine-app-payments/

Say goodbye to the Kindle app, among a few others.

2. prestomusic macrumors regular

bad news indeed for some devs. hardly suprising though.

but can't they just migrate to Apple's in App purchase system?

3. thetexan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is then Apple gets 30% of the sale, even though Apple had nothing to do with the sale itself. For in-app payments like this, Apple's cut should be less than 5% which basically covers the cost of the credit-card transaction. It's still Amazon's bandwidth and property. I can't imagine Amazon agreeing to the terms as they are crazy, and they'll probably just pull the Kindle application.

If I were Amazon, I'd charge a 30% surcharge on in-app purchases and make it very clear that the price is 30% cheaper when purchased through Safari or via Amazon.com, and also make it very clear that it's an Apple tax that does not benefit Amazon.com financially at all.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I wonder if this affects The Economist. By subscribing to print you can access the iPhone and iPad apps.

Seriously **** apple on this one. The wall on this garden is creeping inward.

+1

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

X2

I love my iPad and iPhone, but a move like this is drastic enough to make me consider leaving the entire ecosystem and moving to Android. :confused:

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

We've been hashing this thing out for two days now. All Apple is requiring is both in-app availability and out-of-app if you do outside purchases. I think Apple is going to have to go way down on its price for such things if it wants to have people use it. It's not housing that data, so it's not as expensive. I think Amazon, Sony, et. al wouldn't mind some fee comparable to a credit card fee, like Macworld wrote in an opinion piece today, but no way is Amazon going to do that for 30 percent off the top.

7. prestomusic macrumors regular

I wonder if Apple's terms will allow devs to set different prices, I doubt it. yeah the 30% cut seems a bit rough.