Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Crazy, when a used car is fetching new car prices because of this. Will be interesting to see the earnings call.

Pretty crazy how other companies are saying the same thing about having chip shortages, it must be to help Apple with that cover-up!
If they still don’t believe you, tell them to go to a new car lot. All I saw was used vehicles, I had to be put on a list for a new car off the truck at the end of this month AND I had to pre pay in advance to guarantee it.

with that said They we’re willing to pay me 5k more than my car was actually worth. But even with new car pricing they already trying to sneak up those prices!!!
At least it’s not Porsche levels where you have to wait a year to get one

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
According to Who again? Apple says this? Oh, I didn't think so.

It's a good headline when it moves the needle on the stock - it does not have to be true - just hit the stock and you are golden for the suits executing this anti-apple stock propaganda.

Tim Cook literally said this during their earnings call in the summer.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
is this why there has been a very low supply of the new phones thus far?

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
So the chips that are already in their possession not enough? Or they still have not received the total number of chips they purchased and is still being manufactured?

I don't get it. When you cook something, you should have all the ingredients at hand, or this is not how Apple works?
that's just not how supply chain works. most manufacturers have multiple orders from many different companies not just 1.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So the chips that are already in their possession not enough? Or they still have not received the total number of chips they purchased and is still being manufactured?

I don't get it. When you cook something, you should have all the ingredients at hand, or this is not how Apple works?

Nobody does that in tech manufacturing. Component prices tend to drop over time and no one wants to pay upfront. Not to mention newer revisions of the same component comes out all the time.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
I’d rather see more cars on dealer lots than more iPhones in production. No cars on the lots are driving up prices significantly.

Reactions: PC_tech

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Convenient excuse for slow sales. Apple gets priority over other companies but yet, for example, AMD has been discounting their CPUs such as the top consumer 5950x that has an MSRP of $799.99 but sells for $739.99.
And in other news, there is a line around the block for Alder Lake.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Heh, I practically want to say "It's about time" because until now it felt like Apple was immune to this chip shortage.

I guess they just have big long term contracts in place so it took a while for it to catch up to them.

Hopefully the industry as a whole can get things sorted soon.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
If they still don’t believe you, tell them to go to a new car lot. All I saw was used vehicles, I had to be put on a list for a new car off the truck at the end of this month AND I had to pre pay in advance to guarantee it.

with that said They we’re willing to pay me 5k more than my car was actually worth. But even with new car pricing they already trying to sneak up those prices!!!
At least it’s not Porsche levels where you have to wait a year to get one
I got a 22 Corolla a little over a month ago, love it

Reactions: zapmymac

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I was under the impression that the chip shortage was due to the inability to ramp up production due to increased demand, not due to any actual lack of raw materials, and that companies like Apple who have steady orders wouldn't be effected.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I was under the impression that the chip shortage was due to the inability to ramp up production due to increased demand, not due to any actual lack of raw materials, and that companies like Apple who have steady orders wouldn't be effected.
it's now a combination of everything, still, latest node chips (eg 5nm) are ok, it's the legacy nodes that are troublesome cause they are used in EVERY piece of electronics

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005

I never personally ordered 90 million wifi chips for delivery from the grocery store, but it's probably more complicated than a guy arriving at my front door with a paper bag with my complete order before cooking starts. I would guess it's an elaborate and carefully orchestrated symphony of many 3rd party suppliers shipping components on an ongoing basis to continually feed manufacturing. This way phones can start being manufactured+sold early rather than on the back end of all components being received and orders can be revised and tweaked ongoing.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Sure, who ever heard of any chip or parts shortages?
Totally made up excuse.

Could only be that.... APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!
Ah, a trip down memory lane! For the past year or two, "APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!" has been replaced by variations of "All Apple cares about is maximizing profits by selling millions of disposable overpriced consumer crap!!! WHERE IS THE INNOVATION??? This wouldn't be happening if Steve were still alive!!! Tim Cook needs to go!!!!" ?

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Pretty crazy how other companies are saying the same thing about having chip shortages, it must be to help Apple with that cover-up!
When it’s said by companies selling products of good value-for-the-buck, it should normally be trusted. But, when it's said from those selling overpriced, expensive merchandises like iPhones or Mercedes, BMW, LV, they can only be excuses.

One golden rule: Nothing from a greedy business could ever be trusted!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Glad I got my 13 Pro when I did. Hope I don't have too long to wait for a 14" MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.