Apple to Demote iPod Stock to Accessory Shelves In Retail Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will relocate iPod stock from the sales floor and back storage area to the accessory shelves and remove the iPad-based Smart Signs that sit next to many display devices starting on Wednesday, according to a new report from 9to5Mac. The changes are an effort by Apple to simplify the shopping experience in its retail stores.

[​IMG]

Apple's signature products, the iPad, Mac, iPhone, iPod and Apple Watch, have typically been stored in the back storage area of an Apple Store. A customer would have to talk to an Apple Store employee and tell them which model they would like to purchase and wait as their product was retrieved from the back. Apple's non-signature products, like Apple TV and Time Capsule, are available on the accessory shelves and are easily accessible by customers without having to consult with a retail employee.

Now, customers will be able to simply walk up and pull their iPod of choice off of the store shelves. The demotion of the iPod from the main floor to the shelves is likely reflective of the iPod's decreased sales, as the device has become an increasingly minor business for Apple. The Cupertino company has also decreased the iPod's presence on its website, removing the iPod section from the website's top banner.

Additionally, Apple is removing the iPad 2-based Smart Signs intended to educate customers about Apple products. Sources tell 9to5Mac that some customers would get confused using the Smart Signs, expecting them to be fully usable iPad demo units rather than simple ways to learn about a product. Instead, Apple will begin loading product information directly on the iPads, iPhones and Macs starting next week. With less clutter on the product tables, Apple plans to install more devices for customers to test on the sales floor.

The changes to the retail stores follow Apple's move to merge its website and online store, also creating a more simplified shopping experience for customers.

Article Link: Apple to Demote iPod Stock to Accessory Shelves In Retail Stores

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

ipod stock has never been on the main floor outside of the holiday 'express zone'.

this move is basically saying that interest in the iPod is so low that they don't figure anyone would bother trying to steal them so why keep them locked up in back.

4. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

Uhhhh, this already happened to some stores starting today.....
    Probably most likely as a test run for real thing today.

Then again, I don't trust 9to5 because they are run by some moron teenagers who wants attention.

5. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yeah there goes the IPOD they will never release a 6th Gen...oh wait nevermind

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

It's always sad to see a product line go, but I don't think it can be denied that that's where the iPod is headed. Stand alone mp3 players are just a thing of the past. Although I'm sure some people can think of places where they see tons of iPods still, or come up with great reasons why iPods are still relevant, it's clear they are just simply not selling like they used to.

7. big-ted macrumors regular

big-ted

No doubt to increase the floor area for watches, in an attempt to get sales moving for the Christmas period

8. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

You are right they will never release a new one this year, product is done. And the apple TV is not on the main floor so that is done also, won't see a new one next month

9. balconycollapse macrumors regular

I found the smart signs confusing myself when I was there last. I thought it was an iPad demo but I visit the store once a year so it wasn't familiar.

10. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Never said product was done. Read my post. I said that is where it's headed. Also, Apple TV has gained more attention from Apple while iPod has lost some. 2 different scenarios.

I love the iPod too, no need to get defensive.

11. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I don't love the Ipod, in my opinion it is peice of junk because of the bad battery life and i do not recommend it but the fact that it is not in the main area means nothing

12. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I respectfully disagree. Changing it to an "Accessory", removing it's category from the site, and the 6th gen Touch not being announced during a major event are 3 red flags that don't mean "nothing". Sure, it might not mean that this is the end for the iPod, but it definitely means something.

13. trife macrumors 6502

trife

14. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

15. Macgeda macrumors newbie

Macgeda

It must be a tough job to strike the right balance between design speaks for itself (design follows function) and making things even more legible for the rest of us (design follows experience?).

Many of us wouldn't mistake a smart sign for a demo unit, due to its immobility and limitation or specific function it serves.
    But good ol' Granny Granadine might wonder why she can't place a phone call to speak to Grandson Greg on a smart sign...

16. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Yeah the Walnut Creek store has the new docks and iPods on shelves

17. JohnApples macrumors 65816

True, but you have to keep in mind that Apple TV was always sort of a "hobby", as they called it. The iPod was once a flagship product, and has now become, at most, another "hobby" product.

18. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Right so by your logic this is the end of the Apple Tv.

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Alright, for the second time, I never said it was the end of the iPod. Not yet. I said it's not selling like they used to. And then I called it a "hobby" product. Not a "dead" one. Please read my posts before responding to them.

20. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

your quote "It's always sad to see a product line go, but I don't think it can be denied that that's where the iPod is headed."

Pretty clear to me you think the ipod is pretty much done, so then by your logic so is the Apple tv

21. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

22. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

the iPad smart sign 'wedge' is a nice concept but kind of clunky in execution and doesn't really add much to the retail experience. It's also kind of weird having iPads selling iPads :p

Shame to lose the iPod bench though, especially when the new iPod touch is such a good value upgrade.

23. Macgeda macrumors newbie

Macgeda

Interesting. I guess your first time encounter was with the ones in the see-trhough acrylic stand. Now these are held by a redesigned, white stand. I guess this was a move by retail to differentiate Smartsigns over the demo units even more.

[​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

24. JohnApples macrumors 65816

"That's where the iPod is headed."
    Meaning, it's future is not so bright. It's sales are declining. It's not doing so well.

And once more, I said that, from what I can see, the Apple TV has gained traction (even if a little bit) while the iPod is losing momentum. In my opinion one product is rising while the other is falling. So no, according to my logic I do not believe the Apple TV is done. It's clear you're not understanding what I'm saying.

25. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Wait, so they'll be on a back shelf, but there will be no display units?

----
    Really is a shame what's happened to it. I realize that the masses don't need an iPod once they get an iPhone, but so many people overlook the value of a dedicated device. I love my iPod Nano (5th, 6th, and 7th gen) and will probably buy an iPod Touch one day because it's the last high-capacity music player they offer.

It really is said that Apple doesn't want to search the music player market anymore. Streaming is great an all, but what iPod alternative is there now for people who like to keep large amounts of offline music organized though iTunes? Many of the competing products are $500+ or even thousands.