Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced that two legacy tools associated with .Mac, HomePage and Groups, will no longer be offered as of July 7, 2009. The two services are not currently offered as part of MobileMe but were still accessible to former .Mac users whose accounts had been transitioned to MobileMe at its launch last year.

.Mac HomePage is a web hosting service that made its debut as part of Apple's iTools package in January 2000. The service was significantly upgraded when iTools was turned into a subscription-based service and renamed .Mac in 2002. Apple's landing page for HomePage currently displays a splash page announcing the discontinuation.
On July 7, 2009, we are retiring .Mac HomePage. Your published pages will remain live on the web for as long as you wish after this date, but you will not be able to edit or delete them using HomePage. If you want to make changes to your existing pages, please do so before July 7.

Going forward, we recommend MobileMe Gallery for online photo and movie sharing, and iWeb for custom websites and blogs. Please visit this FAQ for more information.
.Mac Groups is a service that allowed .Mac users to set up "a group page, email address, and iDisk space for clubs, teams, and other groups of people. Similar to HomePage, the Groups landing page is currently displaying a splash page regarding the discontinuation of the service.
On July 7, 2009, .Mac Groups will be discontinued. After this date, all Groups features, including group pages, group message boards, group email addresses, and the "Groups" iDisk folder will no longer be available.

Any files contained in the "Groups" iDisk folder will be moved on July 7 into a new folder titled "Groups Archive" where they will remain accessible by the group owner, as long as the group owner remains a MobileMe member. Please visit this FAQ for more information.

Article Link: Apple to Discontinue .Mac HomePage and Groups

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Really? Page 1? This seems more like Page 2 to me.

Nevertheless, I think its good. The more Apple focuses on the present, the better for me.

Comment

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Well, they are not "taking" away .Mac, there is now Mobile Me. .Mac should have been discontinued back when Mobile Me came out.

MobileMe is .Mac with a different name and some "upgraded" web apps.

I never used HomePage or Groups, but it stinks to have them discontinued with no replacement. Removing services, crappy as they may have been, isn't exactly a nice thing to do to paying customers.

Comment

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
and bookmarks

Don't forget about the loss of bookmarks. Hopefully, MobileMe will soon provide their own version of Bookmarks and Groups.

Comment

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
sad about .mac groups

sure, they replaced .mac with mobileme, but they're taking away .mac groups and not replacing it with anything. a shame, that was one of the few things that I used in my .mac account. guess i'm in the minority though.

Comment

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Darn, my HomePage will be gone...

Well, so long Marvin. You're finally being consigned to the trash.

(Someone else named it Marvin in this thread. Please pay your respects to Marvin, and for god's sake, when he asks to be left alone, don't pester him.)

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I hope .Mac's Backup.app is next. I can't even delete old Backups within my iDisk.

Very annoying and a waste of space.

Comment

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Hmmm, First FW400 now .mac. Wonder what's next?

Optical Disk drives in laptops etc. They'll probably make a DVD drive the size of the one offered for the Air and build it so it's airborn, meaning it's going to have wireless capabilities and maybe even some TV function doubling as a DVD player... oh yeah I forgot... we're talking about Apple here... this isn't the Apple we used to know who'd go all the way out to give us what we dream of. In stead they'll bill our A$$'s till we die.

So yeah expect an Airport based Optical Drive that will work on all future macs without any optical drives. Then they'll claim it will be super amazing and how much space it saves yada yada yada blah.... Oh but they'll then claim to have an amazing battery life, unlike anything else. Claim 14 hours but then in reality (meaning OUR reality) it's only 8 hours.

Sorry but lately Apple has been too disappointing and have been doing odd things. The MacMini update was a boring update, nothing special, same external design, not even bothered to pep it up to look cool like the iMac. Then the internals weren't worth the money they are asking for it. I mean look at the two models they are offering. It's shameful and even the Mac magazines are claiming it's simply not worth investing in.

Then we got the new iPod Shuffle... (can ONLY use Apple brand ear phones)
Useless...

I'm really confused where Apple is going, one thing is for certain, it's lost it's way. Before all of this hoohaa with the iPod, we all know there were PowerMacs, PowerBooks and iMacs. Now? Most people don't even notice the PowerMacs, even in their stores, it's all about the iPods and iPhones... oh and laptops.

Seriously I have no idea what happened to Apple, but it's gotten a little too fat and greedy lately... Come on man, no remote in the Laptop boxes anymore? You pay almost $3000 and no remote? What the hell? Sorry but that's just being sickly greedy to ask money for that too.

Alright I'll stop my ranting... well till Snow Leopard comes out, with "improvements" or as we see it a facelift and they'll suck us dry once more by asking the usual amount for it. Ok, ok, ok... it's a new architecture etc. BUT.... Tell that to the average user... they'll say... Huh? what? looks just like the other one... why bother?

Me? I'll end up buying it cause I don't think Leopard came out right. Too many odd bugs and system slowdowns. It's a high maintenance OS compared to the other ones. Being a filmmaker and photographer, I can't stress enough the disappointment in how my Pro apps have been acting up.

I'm sure that last bit is my own fault somehow... (AppleCare probably says that alot)

Comment

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The webpages will remain. It's just we can't edit them anymore. Just delete directly from iDisk? Anyway, does anyone seriously still add or even edit through Homepage?

Comment

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I find .mac or mobile me inferior to the free Gmail. The search on the mobile me is clunky and the service goes down often. The only thing of value is use of the iDisk and perhaps a cool .mac in your address. But Apple seems to be moving away from the use of .mac.

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Well, they are not "taking" away .Mac, there is now Mobile Me. .Mac should have been discontinued back when Mobile Me came out.

No kidding. What is with the whining in here? Nobody ever used those things and it was nice to have them leave them hanging around this long to give people a transition. Honestly who cares? .mac is OLD, move on people! :rolleyes:

Comment

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I find .mac or mobile me inferior to the free Gmail. The search on the mobile me is clunky and the service goes down often. The only thing of value is use of the iDisk and perhaps a cool .mac in your address. But Apple seems to be moving away from the use of .mac.
Can you sync all your family and work computers and iPhones through Gmail?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.