Apple to Donate $1 Million to Earthquake Recovery Efforts in Mexico

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook this afternoon announced on Twitter that Apple plans to donate $1 million to recovery efforts in Mexico. "While there is life, there is hope," Cook wrote in the tweet announcing the donation.

On Tuesday, a powerful 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit Central Mexico, causing widespread devastation in Mexico City and surrounding states. Hundreds of people died in the disaster as buildings and structures collapsed. The earthquake followed a magnitude 8.1-earthquake that hit the southern coast of the country earlier this month.

[​IMG]

Apple's $1 million donation to help recovery efforts in Mexico comes following Apple's efforts to raise more than $8 million for hurricane relief efforts in states and countries affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.

As of August, Apple had raised more than $3 million both through its own donations, donations from employees, and donations from customers, and on September 8, Apple donated another $5 million to Hand in Hand, a benefit held for hurricane relief. Apple is still accepting Hand in Hand donations through iTunes.

Article Link: Apple to Donate $1 Million to Earthquake Recovery Efforts in Mexico

2. chetttos macrumors newbie

But people will still say: STICK JUST TO PRODUCTS TIM!
    I'm Mexican and I'm glad they make this kind of donations.

3. macs4nw, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

To our Mexican friends in this time of need: When the chips are down, we 'gringos' love you after all.

Good move Tim, an example for us to follow.

4. skadd macrumors regular

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Probably Red Cross.

6. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

7. skadd macrumors regular

I've searched for the Mexican Red Cross but I can't find it

8. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Probably not. Do you really trust them after they blew millions of donated dollars for Haiti relief?

9. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

look under: cruzrojamexicana [dot] org [dot] mx

10. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Not the Red Cross. Try local charities if possible.

11. modemthug macrumors regular

Apple is one hell of a lot better of a corporate citizen than Google, just in general

12. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

13. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

For once they are giving money instead of asking us to. Good job apple.

14. Jared Strike macrumors regular

Jared Strike

No one is forcing you to “give money” but if you’re not in a situation to give, don’t give, for others who can, I see this as a nice way to contribute to people in need.

15. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

For those wanting to donate, try donating to “Topos” (Moles) they are and independent organization that helps in cases like this. Much better than donating to government agencies.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

For once?

17. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Nice that they gave it but giving 1 million would be like one of us giving a penny I would expect them do do a little more with all that they have. I have seen multiple kids doing there part by having lemonade sales to support relief efforts.

I can 2nd this, just had a collection at church to directly support there hurricane relief efforts. I am sure that they could use the money with multiple hurricanes and this earthquake in such a short amount of time.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

And yet it’s $1000000 more than plenty of companies or people that didn’t even give a penny.

19. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

What a sad amount for a company that makes so much in profit from the products these people buy from them.

What do they say, "pay it forward". More like, "throw them a bone."

20. Capeto macrumors member

Capeto

There's no need to be so cynical, a million dollars go a long way to help relief efforts even if it's "only" a small portion of what Apple makes in profits.

My fellow countrymen and I are truly grateful for any money Apple, other companies, and individual contributors are willing to give for the earthquake relief.

Seconded, anyone interested in helping them can look them up on Twitter at @topos for videos of their current operations as well as information on how to donate.

21. Phonephreak macrumors regular

Phonephreak

Why?