Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be donating to Hurricane Ida relief and recovery efforts on the ground after the devastating category four storm made landfall in Louisiana over the weekend, according to a tweet from Apple CEO Tim Cook.

hurricane-ida.jpeg

"Our thoughts are with everyone in Hurricane Ida's path, especially those sheltering in Louisiana, and we're grateful for the first responders who are helping keep communities safe," said Cook. He did not provide any further details about the donation plans, including how much money the company will be donating or to who and where the funds will be distributed.

Hurricane Ida made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana on Sunday with 150 mph wind speeds, becoming the second most intense hurricane to strike the U.S. state, behind only Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The storm has caused extensive damage in parts of Louisiana and resulted in nearly one million people being without power in New Orleans and elsewhere.

Apple routinely donates to relief efforts following natural disasters around the world, such as hurricanes, floods, and wildfires.

Article Link: Apple to Donate to Hurricane Ida Relief and Recovery Efforts

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Hurricane Ida made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana on Sunday with 150 mph wind speeds, becoming the second most intense hurricane to strike the U.S. state, behind only Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Article Link: Apple to Donate to Hurricane Ida Relief and Recovery Efforts

This is simply not true. Hurricane Katrina had sustained winds of 125 mph when it made land fall. Hurricane Ida is tied with the 1856 Last Island Hurricane and Hurricane Laura just last year with 150 mph winds at landfall as the most intense hurricanes to ever strike Louisiana.

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Good for Apple.

If you're looking for a more direct way to help also, I recommend donating to World Central Kitchen. Chef Jose Andres is doing some amazing things-

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This is simply not true. Hurricane Katrina had sustained winds of 125 mph when it made land fall. Hurricane Ida is tied with the 1856 Last Island Hurricane and Hurricane Laura just last year with 150 mph winds at landfall as the most intense hurricanes to ever strike Louisiana.
Well it technically is true. Ida had higher wind speeds, Katrina had a lower pressure. So Katrina was a more powerful storm. Katrina was a much larger storm with a wider wind field

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

iOS Geek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I caught that as well. That part aside, what got me with Ida was that it and Katrina made landfall on the same day. Both August 29th.

Reactions: spotlight07

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
Is Louisiana habitable anymore? I understand that families there have memories and call the place home but the place is keep getting destroyed and is getting dangerous.

Reactions: Huck

PC_tech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2019
Hurricane Ida is an active tropical storm that became the second most intense hurricane to strike the U.S. state of Louisiana on record, only behind Hurricane Katrina, and tied for the strongest landfall in the state by maximum winds with Hurricane Laura in 2020 and the 1856 Last Island hurricane.

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
Wind speed is not the only indicator to how severe or intense a hurricane is.

Reactions: SFjohn

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
It would be interesting to know how many large companies are making similar efforts. Apple is financially strong and I think it is appropriate that they provide such support, public relations or not.
All large companies are financially strong enough to help out in disasters. I disagree with you stating that it's appropriate for Apple to provide support. Why? We have a government with a treasury that American citizens pay taxes to keep funded. Apple is just a tech company. They don't have to come to everyone's rescue just because they are financially strong. Perhaps if it was another tech company that much of the world relied upon that was going under due to disasters then I could see Apple along with other tech companies pooling together to help the company recover but I'm not going to expect a tech company to save the world every time a natural disaster happens. I see Apple doing that a lot but I still don't expect that of them.

jk73

Suspended
Jul 19, 2012
All large companies are financially strong enough to help out in disasters. I disagree with you stating that it's appropriate for Apple to provide support. Why? We have a government with a treasury that American citizens pay taxes to keep funded. Apple is just a tech company. They don't have to come to everyone's rescue just because they are financially strong. Perhaps if it was another tech company that much of the world relied upon that was going under due to disasters then I could see Apple along with other tech companies pooling together to help the company recover but I'm not going to expect a tech company to save the world every time a natural disaster happens. I see Apple doing that a lot but I still don't expect that of them.

Exactly right. And it’s not Apple’s or Tim Cook’s money. It’s the shareholders’ money.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I feel bad for the people down there. At some point, people need to decide if it's worth rebuilding every few years or (year).
I felt the same way after Katrina. I understand the history of the place but watching them drop millions rebuilding in flood plain zones had me shaking my head.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Wind speeds of 172 mph clocked there, don't try to minimize the horrific damage.

Reactions: max2

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013

Yea you are right. They are probably giving less than 5% of Tim Cook’s last payout in stock but yea, considering these wealthy companies use our education system, our transportation system, or land to grow food on that feeds their workers and blow 100x what they donate on executive compensation, yea its not appropriate they help.

RobbieBott

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Is Louisiana habitable anymore? I understand that families there have memories and call the place home but the place is keep getting destroyed and is getting dangerous.
How much have the wildfires in Cali, been costing year after year?
148 billion in 18',
163 million just on suppression in 19',
130-150 billion in 20',
and so far as of July of 21' just in suppression over a billion.

iOS Geek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
How much have the wildfires in Cali, been costing year after year?
148 billion in 18',
163 million just on suppression in 19',
130-150 billion in 20',
and so far as of July of 21' just in suppression over a billion.
That right there is what I think of when people say things like that. (And don't forget the fact that California and the desert southwest have to support an ever increasing population with a water supply that continues to shrink). And to throw in another example...I live about an hour away from a town that has been hit (or almost hit) by a tornado every couple years (no joke) for the last 15. They rebuild time and time again. Heck, we could use Moore, Oklahoma as a well known example. That city has been hit by tornadoes multiple times and sometimes even taking roughly a similar path through the city!

Think about how many times Anchorage gets rocked by major earthquakes and rebuilds the damage. The San Francisco Bay Area has rebuilt BIGGER after Loma Prieta. There really isn't a truly risk-free place to live.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
I wish Apple would spend the money opening an Apple Store in Wichita instead but they will not support what they consider fly-over country.

Reactions: phr0z3n
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.